Cake Pan Rentals [General]

2013 Jan 12
Any places to rent cake pans... preferably good thick ones?

Looking for an Owl in particular.

Thanks

2013 Jan 12
Bulk Barn probably has the best selection (although that's not saying much). They carry a reasonable assortment of Wilton pans.

2013 Jan 12
Artistic cake design (on Merivale) rents pans. I can't remember seeing an owl, but you can always call.

2013 Jan 12
I've loaned mine out before, but I don't have an owl and they're only the Wilton ones. ;) It might be worth asking any "mom" friends you have, as we seem to accumulate specialty pans like that and are generally happy to loan them out. ;)

2013 Jan 12
cool thanks all, will call around tommorow

2013 Jan 13
You could build an owl with two round cake pans...or one large rectangle pan...or...
As someone who has been tasked with odd-shaped birthday cake creation (ex. a football, a deer) stating the obvious here maybe but Googling the cake you're planning (i.e. "owl cake") results in many ideas/options that you may not have thought of.

2013 Jan 14
Yup... was hoping for a quick and simple solution... but Wilton doesn't make one and haven't found any locally.

9x13 rectangle trimmed to an oval/triangle shape for the body
2 x 6" rounds for the head
corner trims for the feet and ears

then lots of butter cream frosting to hold together.

probably a chocolate nutella frosting for the brown and beige icing
sliced almonds for the ruffled feathers
dark chocolate ganache for the outlines and features

Time to get busy!

(fwiw - it's my daughters favourite book (and is actually the same copy my wife had as a child)... almost read to bits now)

Thanks for all the helps though!

2013 Jan 14
Here's a link to pictures from an old booklet that my mom used to use when making our birthday cakes. Maybe it will give you some inspiration. The pics all show cakes liberally doused with baker's shredded coconut, but when we picked out our birthday cakes we usually asked her to leave the coconut off. My favorite as a kid was the fish with life saver scales. www.artbaxter.com

2013 Jan 14
cool thanks

2013 Jan 15
I went to the Artistic Cake Desigh today and I saw a owl shape cake pan for rental. Looked very cute.
I would make ruffled up feather texture by using skewer tip and scratch the icing with it.