cheap eats in montreal? [General]

2013 Jan 11
It seems like every restaurant with good reviews in montreal is ridiculously expensive. We're looking to have a weekend in montreal on the cheap. Can anyone recommend some good restaurants that aren't extremely expensive and you don't have to dress up for?

For instance, we always hit up la banquise but we wouldn't order anything other than poutine there. Looking to branch out!

2013 Jan 11
What type of food do you like?

2013 Jan 11
I didn't find APDC all that expensive, and you certainly can go casual. Whats your limit per person? Also check the other Montreal threads. There is some pretty good Mexican and other central american places around that are pretty inexpensive.

2013 Jan 11
I agree, it highly depends on kind of food you are looking for and what you consider "cheap". (I certainly wouldn't consider APDC cheap, though it is much less expensive than, say, Toqué)

You can eat an excessive amount of smoked meat at Schwartz for less than 20$. Or you can eat some delicious fresh out of the oven bagels at St-Viateur for even less.

There are also lots of affordable and casual places for greek, chinese, vietnamese, italian, etc in various parts of town. I'd suggest the restaurant guide of voir.ca as a tool, not perfect but a fairly good source for price vs quality info.

2013 Jan 11
Dinette Triple Crown on Clark.

www.facebook.com

You can thank me later.

2013 Jan 11
Surprised to hear this - IMO Montreal is my favourable place in the world for many reasons. One being the vibrant restaurant scene. For sure there are a lot of fancy upscale places but there are also a lot of great offerings on the affordable side. The ethnic mix is a bit different than Ottawa, less Lebanese shawarma (almost none) - the pita sandwishes are usually called shishtaouk. Influence of immigration from other ethnic groups, from French speaking countries. Before I start my rant, I will give this example: try looking up Portuguese restaurants in Ottawa maybe you find 3 or 4. Try this for Montreal and the list could be as long as 50 or 60 restaurants. Same idea for Spain, various South American places, asian and European.

Higher end restaurants tend to be around downtown business core maybe Old Montreal - stay away from Crescent Street and Bishop Streets for example.
Areas such as St. Laurent Street, St. Denis, the Plateau/Mille End(Parc Street, Mont Royal, Duluth) have all sort of affordable options.

Chinatown is small but has some good and very affordable options - some are open quite late.

If you check out one of the free entertainment newspapers you will see ads for a variety of places, some on the cheap side.

Have fun exploring and being adventurous!

2013 Jan 14
I agree that APDC doesn't look that expensive. Last time we went to queue de cheval, and I found THAT expensive. And I wasn't that impressed. For what it was, it was very, very good. But I couldn't help thinking, I'm just sitting here eating a hunk of meat. And I found it pretentious overall.

I'm not one for head cheese though. APDC seems to be about... pig parts. I'm all for trying new things but hopefully they'd have some "tame" pig parts too.

I guess it would be more accurate to say, I don't want fine dining. I'm willing to pay but I just want good food.

2013 Jan 14
I have had excellent affordable meals at APDC, and I don't eat pork. What brings the tab up is wine...

Last month we went to a BYOW, bistro-florin.com/ amazing food, service, not too loud and casual.

This place was also highly recommended, but I have not been yet. www.othym.com/index.html

Plenty of cheap eats in Mtl, Schwartz, Reuben's, Beauty's Romanos; any Portugese charcoal chicken place will be delish and cheap. Mtl does Greek food very well too. Just walk around and see what's out there, that is how we discovered some of the best resto's.

2013 Jan 14
There are some really good options in Chinatown West (Ste. Catherine Street between Guy and Atwater). Most places are quite reasonable and offer a bit more diversity in terms of "ethnic Chinese" than can be found in Ottawa.

In the same area, there is also Kazu, one of the best little restaurants in all of Montreal. It is a Japanese izakaya (read Japanese pub food). It is on the south side of Ste. Catherine, between St. Marc and St. Matthew - just look for the line outside and hope that the wait isn't too long. Alternately, there is also Imadake on Ste. Catherine and Atwater. A bit more of a scene than Kazu, but some decent food.

2013 Feb 23
THANK YOU Osolomeal!
Dinette Triple Crown in Montreal was amazing. Tiny place with about 8 stools at the counter, but wow! This was a combo plate with two pieces of succulent and spicy fried chicken, perfect cornbread, pickled okra, house made beans with bacon and pickled onion, and spicy macaroni salad. House made iced tea and two house made bbq sauces - one that is pumpkin seed based and one mango based. Loads of homemade pickles of every description available to go: tomatillos, scallions, cherry peppers, beans, eggs etc. Desserts included an outstanding bourbon pecan pie with a short crust. Huge selection of bourbons and a variety of hard to find cocktails including Sazerac that I really wanted to try but was driving :(

Triple Crown does takeout too, and in the summer they can loan you a picnic basket and a blanket to take to the park across the street. It is a tiny place, but they have rented the space next door and will be taking it over soon. Will post a couple more pics from this place which should be on everyone's agenda when they visit Montreal.

2013 Feb 23
Bourbon selection at Dinette Triple Crown

2013 Feb 23
The amazing Big Nasty at Dinette Triple Crown. I can never thank you enough, Osolomeal.

2013 Mar 4
Most welcome, blu', and i'm so glad you liked it.

It's the kind of place i really want to see succeed and deservedly so because they are working HARD.

And as a bonus you can tell people you had a big nasty in downtown Mtl and not sound like a big pervert.

2013 Mar 4
Ok please there is no way you can put APDC in Cheap eats.

Here`s my list:

MAIS (Mexican joint just opened and the food is amazing)
Sumo Ramen (Very good Ramen Soup)
Mai Xiang Yaun for dumplings
Maison Kam Fung (dim sum)
Deville Dine bar has been one of my favorite joints
Satay Brothers (Vietnamese food as it best, Pork belly buns are really goood)
Kouign-Amann for croissant, quiche and sandwiches. best on the plateau

For those who are interested, send me a private message and i can share my list of favorite and best restaurants in Montreal broken down by neighbourhood and price range. I would mind sharing with you all. I lived in Montreal and spend lots of my time eating there while visiting family