I need more iron [Science]

2013 Jan 11
Not typically a guy thing, I don't know much about getting more iron into my diet than to take iron supplements. I gave blood yesterday (my 84th donation!) and was told that my hemoglobin was at the very low end of normal and that they were concerned enough to mention it to me. Was I eating meat? OH, yes. Lots and lots.

How else can I increase the iron in my blood without resorting to those nasty pills? I don't want to have to eat raw liver like my mother and her mother before her.

2013 Jan 11
Cooking with cast iron cookware helps.

2013 Jan 11
I take a product called spatone. It's a liquid supplement that comes in little packets. Basically it's iron-rich water that comes from a magical spring somewhere in Wales. I take it in orange juice and you can't taste it.

There's another liquid supplement called floradix that is popular. However, I didn't have the same results with it/it tastes kind of yucky.

Spatone comes in an orange box. I know for sure they have it in that health food store beside bushtukah.

2013 Jan 11
x2 on the Cast Iron.

My girlfriend always had low iron issues - since she met me and my cast iron cooking, her iron levels have been much better.

2013 Jan 11
There are also foods which inhibit iron uptake in the body - been a while since I knew anything about this but I seem to recall that cow's milk is a major contributor here - better look that up though to be sure. This is why so many doctors get it wrong when they recommend iron supplements to breastfeeding mothers - because human milk does not inhibit iron uptake in the body, but formulae are based on cow's milk which do inhibit.

Or as my memory serves, in any case ... I'm sure google will help you

2013 Jan 11
Rizak I am also low in iron (must be old age in my case!) but I confess I don't eat as much red meat as I should. I agree with embean 100% on Floradix. It doesn't seem to live up to it's claims so save your money and try iron rich foods. I also agree with the cast iron suggestions - seems to work.

Some time ago I started a thread asking people what their foodie resolutions were for that year. During the course of the discussion someone asked for good veggie sources of iron and another user posted lots of suggestions. It might be worth a try to supplement some of those items with the meat you eat. And I think the subject of food combinations came up along the lines of what zymurgist was saying above. Here is the thread: ottawafoodies.com

2013 Jan 11
Look at your food combinations. Calcium inhibits iron absorption, and Vitamin C aids you body in iron absorption, IIRC.

There is a liquid supplement you can get at a number of pharmacies and health food stores called Floradix. It's often suggested to pregnant women as it is easier to digest and absorb than traditional iron supplements (true fact: we shed a lot of the iron taken in as supplements..). You'll get best results if you take it with a glass of orange juice -- this also masks the flavour. You should be able to get it at the Apothecary in the Glebe or Rainbow Foods in the west end.

I generally have low iron stores and find that food combos is the easiest way to cope with it.

This link has a good list: ods.od.nih.gov

2013 Jan 11
Can't one do what they used to do in the olden days ?

Put common nails in a jar and drink the rusty water ?

2013 Jan 11
Rusty Nail
1 1/2 oz Scotch whisky
1/2 oz Drambuie
1 twist lemon peel

Got it. Thanks. That's the advice I was looking for.

2013 Jan 12
Cream of Wheat cereal is extremely high in iron because it's typically fortified.

Pork liver is much higher in iron then beef liver (tho liver doesn't work for me).

2013 Jan 13
It could just be that the finger prick I got that day wasn't the best way of determining what my iron level is. It's certainly a reliable indicator, but it isn't a foolproof test. This is what the second nurse told me. If it is low next time, I'll look into some changes.

Thank you one and all for your helpful advice.

Whoops. I said 'prick'. Sorry.

2013 Jan 13
Poke that bear Rizak LOL. Ooops sorry PETA.

2013 Jan 13
I vouch for Spatone, I have been using it for years. It is the only product that will not cause me any "internal" issues. Do not have any dairy products before or after and if possible take with vitamin C or orange juice. Besides the obvious red meat,dark leafy greens (kale etc..) and oysters are rich in iron. I also take 1 capsule of Palafer at night before bed. It's available at any drugstore (behind the counter).

2013 Jan 13
"I don't want to have to eat raw liver like my mother and her mother before her."

Don't eat the liver raw! Fry it first! ;-)

I echo the comments about how some foods inhibit the absorption of iron.

Store milk is going to mess up your iron more than 'fresh of the farm milk' as far as I'm concerned, but that's not an option for most people, and that might cause all sorts of arguments about whether 'store' or 'fresh' is better for milk. As a cow owner, you all know where I stand, lol!

Chocolate and alcohol also effect how much iron we can absorb. My two of my favorite food groups. :-(

And interestingly, constipation is often a symptom of low iron levels, and so are chocolate cravings. More often than not, a person (adult or child) who has constipation is also usually anemic.

Somewhere in the depths of my computer, I have a bunch of files on low iron levels and what can be done to improve them. I often get pregnant moms emailing me for herbal advice to increase their iron. If you are interested, I can look for it and send the info to you. Not suggesting you are a pregnant woman, but much of the info can still be useful!

I also agree about the floradix, never used it myself though, just hear good things from others. I'm a DIY kinda gal, so I'd be more inclined to make my own tea or infusion of dandelion, nettles, and yellow dock.

Raisins, oysters, leafy greens, red meats, organ meats, all good iron. Cook 'em all up in a cast iron skillet, and you're set!

2013 Jan 13
The other biggie is, if you end up supplementing, don't take the whole day's RDA in one dose. Your body cannot absorb that much iron at once. You will retail more if you spread the intake out over the day in 2-4 doses..

2013 Jan 13
Bah! Just take the nasty iron pills and then stop three days before your next donation so you don't lie on the questionnaire. That's what I used to do ;)

2013 Jan 13
Rizak, definitely see your doctor before coming to any conclusions about if you have anaemia and if so, how to treat it. They don't actually check your iron when you give blood--generally just your red blood cell mass, which can be low for, oh, about 500 reasons, ranging from trivial to life-threatening. Iron deficiency would not be the most likely cause, and if it were, it should trigger a search for why a non-menstruating individual (even a regular blood donor) with a presumably adequate diet should have iron-deficiency anaemia.

2013 Jan 14
Floradix is very popular but I still recommend spatone moreso. Floradix tastes awful (you're supposed to take is straight) and is a bit of a herbal cocktail of things. Spatone is JUST iron.

2013 Jan 14
Rizak, I strongly agree with mark_ottawa's advice and would encourage you to see your doctor first. Make an appointment.

2013 Jan 14
oops! I used the diagnostic word 'anemia'! Shouldn't be tossing that word around as I'm not a doctor!

Regarding my post above: The intent of the post was informational only, and not meant to diagnose or treat any condition, as that should be done under the care of a health care professional. ;-)

I guess what I was getting at is my feeling is if you find ways to eat more natural sources of iron, you body will use them, or shed out the excess. You can't overdose on dandelion tea, or spinach salad. Little iron pills may be a whole other matter.

And yeah, iron levels go up and down for all sorts of reasons. If you feel like there is a health issue, investigate further.

2013 Jan 14
Rizak,

My well water is naturally occurring high in Fe. Heck I think I will sell it to you at inflated prices as it is 'all natural, local and free from preservatives' ;)

K,
PS not being sarcastic to anyone at all....just a new revenue stream.

2013 Jan 14
Because of health issues I take iron suplements, but organic girl is right, iron levels do go up and down for all sorts of reasons and it is possible to take too many supplements where iron is concerned acording to my doctor. I don't think it's a problem if you are getting iron through diet, but it may be with pills and you should really only do that with the guidance of a physician who can test your levels, and who can keep testing them and adjusting dosage on a regular basis.

2013 Jan 15
Hey krusty, I'll only pay if it will catch on fire.

Thanks all. This happened about 10 years ago as well. I saw my doctor and she prescribed the over-the-counter supplements. If it is an issue, I'll be going back to see her.

2013 May 8
Okay, I got the blood test results back yesterday. WHEW! What a ride.

Iron should be a number between 80 and 300 for the normal range.
Mine was 8.
Hemoglobin was low because of that.
Also, high cholesterol.
Oh, also diabetes.
Let's add some high blood pressure, too fat and too lazy onto that list.

Some changes are due, I think.
I need to do a lot of research in the next month before I get retested and go back to see my doctor.

DR: I'm going to give you a digital rectal exam.
ME: It's about time they computerized these things.
She has such a delightful laugh.

2013 May 8
I am told Sweet Potato is loaded with iron

2013 May 8
I also have low iron levels and I've been having a green smoothie a day for the last few weeks and feel much better. Admittedly I haven't had a blood test lately so I can't confirm or deny if the smoothies have been working. Dried fruit, sea vegetables, and blackstrap molasses are also high in iron.

2013 May 8
Rizak I know you said further upthread you don't like beef liver. Chicken livers are also high in iron and are much tastier than beef liver IMO. (Although, if you're like me and fry them in butter that may not be so good for your cholesterol levels-;) Lamb is also high in iron. And if you truly would like to give beef liver another try you can try cooking it under the broiler two minutes per side - I find this cooking method makes the liver less funky tasting IMO.

2013 May 8
Found this top 10 iron list with a quick google..

www.healthaliciousness.com

Seems that clam, mussels, oyster, shrimp has the highest level of iron? even more than liver? I think shrimp is high in cholestrol though.

Pumpkin seed is 3rd highest in Iron. 1 oz gives you 23% of daily requirement.

For diabetes, switch to Splenda or better yet Stevia sweeteners and if you need low glycemic liquid sweetner, use agave syrup.

Sweet potatoes are better for glycemic index then potatos.

Flex is full of Omega 3s so will be good for your good cholestrol and improve your bad cholestrol.

The doctor will probably get you to change your diet significantly and/or medicate.

2013 May 8
Morels are high in iron.. ;)

en.wikipedia.org

per 100g: Iron 12.18 mg (94%)

Therefore Dr. Google prescribes steak and fried mushrooms. ;)

2013 May 8
I'm guessing you'll need supplements. I had a problem a post pregnancy problem my iron levels (not the type of iron level problem that leads to anemia). Rizak, obviously your problem is different and you will likely need a different type of supplement (I was told to take Euro-Fer or Palafer) BUT I bet the idea is the same. Iron supplements are no fun to take and they have very obvious side-effects like constipation, etc. but good news is that from a drug point of view, what you are taking doesn't have very harmful side-effects like some harsh drugs to and I think the supplements are fairly cheap. Even if you don't take them everyday, they are much more powerful than any amount of iron-rich food one could possibly eat.

by a long shot but at least it's fairly harmless just very annoying side-effects.

2013 May 8
Did someone say morels? ;)

Rizak - if I have an abundance of morels in the next week or two, I could drop some off with you! Morels taste great too. Supplements are crazy to me, I think I'd rather get a juicer and try upping my daily requirement that way.

Ah steak, might want to steer (ha!) clear of the standard grocery store grain fed variety and opt for lean cuts of grass-fed beef. If you need a source, let me know, I pretty much only eat grass-fed beef from a family friend of ours... we could split half a cow or something.