Pork Broth [General]

2013 Jan 7
With a last minute request for spare ribs and chicken/veg fried rice I was boiling up some pork ribs tonight when I had the sudden realization that I have never cooked with pork stock before. Since homemade wonton soup is on my list of 'things to make' I'm wondering if anyone in this group has used pork broth, what they think of it in comparison to chicken and beef broth, and what they use it for. Sadly tonight, I ended up tossing the broth (with regret) because I was busy and I just don't know why I let it go to waste instead of cooling it down and putting it in the freezer. In any case, there will be a 'next time'. What do you think?
Thanks in advance!

2013 Jan 7
I often use pork broth and stock. I just add it when a pork recipe calls for water. I also use it as a substitute for beef stock when necessary.

2013 Jan 7
Yeah I just use it for things porky :-) I often use broth to just boil some noodles for a quick soup. If I want a porky soup, I reach for the pork broth.

2013 Jan 7
Just wondering if the pork brother might be a bit overwhelming in flavour? I dunno. Will have to try it out! Keep the suggestions coming please :)

2013 Jan 7
Yeah it is not as generally appealing as beef or poultry broth, that's for sure. I think some folks wouldn't like it - and some times I don't even like it.

2013 Jan 10
I recently purchased a whole pork shoulder and made several meals with it such as Chili Verde, Pulled pork, some roast bits and made some cuts to freeze for a rainy day....One of the roasts had a sizable bone and meat that I could not be bothered to widdle off of said bone so I boiled it down and made a lovely Asian pork broth with ginger, garlic, chili sauce etc...Tonight I made the family a lovely (non traditional) spicy udon with the broth, veggies and strips of roast pork thrown on top.....They loved it!

I love making my own stock and pork is one of those rarely done but so worthwhile.

2013 Jan 10
I make pork stock all the time. I use bones of course, but also trotters and tails. Roast what you are using for the stock (bones etc.) for a bit first, and it really makes for great flavour. If you add trotters, you are most certainly going to end up with the most gelled stock you've ever made! Even better than chicken feet!

We make large batches of chicken, pork, veal, vegetable, and beef stock regularly. We use any type of stock interchangeably in our house. They all add something to what you are making. We consider the stock to be more about nutrients, and sort of the base to what we're making. We've used all different types of stock in all sorts of different things: soups, sauces, casseroles, the liquid for making rice, liquid for baked beans, in lieu of meat juices when making roast veggies, to stretch out a gravy, etc, etc. One of our Japanese farm helpers this summer showed us how he would boil noodles in sort of a broth. And when I say 'we', I should clarify that I always make the stock, and dear husband creates the meals with the stock. Unless you are adventurous, then go for it!

Now, our meals are pretty simple. Good food doesn't need much other than to be cooked or served. I would guess if you are making a fancy dish, or something that is supposed to have a very specific or delicate flavour, you'd best stick to the recipe and use the stock it asks for.

As far as our home kitchen goes, it gives flavour, body, and a pile of nutrition when you use stock instead of plain water. I guess I'm a bit of the mentality that you should try and eat the meat of an animal in ratio to the rest of the bits. There is only one liver, (so I try not to over do the pate!), there's lots of bones and meat. So I make lots of stock, and use it gets used in all sorts of things.

Oh, and because freezer space is limited, and more importantly, it drives me nuts when the stock I want to use is frozen, I use a pressure canner for the jars of stock. Then they can go on a shelf, and a ready to go at a moments notice!

2013 Jan 10
Thanks Organic Girl and Evie - I was thinking of making some beef consomme and noticed they use pork broth in the canned ingredients so I might try a homespun variety. Also, I noticed that it was in a lot of Asian soups. I adore Asian food having lived there for 3 years so that is definitely going to be next up. Thanks for the ideas and the encouragement.