Sunday lunch in Westboro [General]

2013 Jan 3
Looking for recommendations for Sunday lunch in Westboro this coming Sunday. It is an anniversary lunch, so we are happy to spend a little more than usual, but we'd be happiest if we can still wear sweaters & jeans (and nothing fancy). I know lunch on Sunday is a strange request, but I'm not a big brunch eater, I like savoury food (not pancakes/waffles/ect). Somewhere with a broad range of brunch items would definitely work though.

2013 Jan 3
Gezellig? They're open 10-2. They have lunchis and breakfast stuff on the menu. When I was in for dinner before Christmas, our server said they are more than happy to make off menu items. ie just bacon and eggs

www.gezelligdining.ca

2013 Jan 3
Thanks! I just made a reservation. Hopefully the dress code isn't too dressy, we want to go for a walk through the hood first, so will be bundled up from the cold.

2013 Jan 3
I saw everything from business suits and dressy clothes to jeans and sweaters at dinner. I suspect at this time of year, they won't bat an eye at people bundled up for the weather.

2013 Jan 3
Gezellig is definitely high on service and quality, and low on pretense. I'd say as long as what you're wearing is clean, you're good to go. :-)

Enjoy!

2013 Jan 3
Gezellig is relaxing,family friendly restaurant and I don't think they are too fussy on dress code.
This place is trendy, but very cosy. I really like their maple tables.
Of course the food are top notch!

2013 Jan 3
+1 for Gezellig (pronounced: Geh-ZELL-ig). I was just there yesterday. See my review for more details and pics here : Gezellig

2013 Jan 3
does any restaurant in ottawa have a dress code??? Not that i can think of, besides stuffy private clubs.

2013 Jan 3
I think "dress code" in this case is more about expectations and common sense than it is about enforced rules. I'd feel pretty conspicuous wearing jeans and an Iron Maiden t-shirt to Le Baccara, even if they did let me in. ;-)

2013 Jan 3
And Le Baccara used to have a dress code, as did Montebello. I've seen unjacketed diners forced to wear rentals at both places. Not sure if the codes still hold.

2013 Jan 3
Ohhhhhhhh ...... the Dress Code thingy, again.

For some interesting stuff said here on Ottawa Foodies see:

Forum - Restaurant Dress Codes

This thread ran from Feb. 2008 to August 2012 .... so far.

2013 Jan 4
Oh, the dress code debate. I meant what Fresh Foodie said - how are people generally dressed at the restaurant. We aren't barbarians, but we will have big winter boots on from walking around. I'm not willing to compromise staying warm vs being stylish in the winter when outdoors for an extended period of time.

I could bring a nice tiara to put on for lunch, I got that tip from the Dress Code thread. I think a tiara really livens up any outfit and it distracts from the footwear ;) Maybe I should put it on my husband. With his bushy beard it will really distract people from looking at our clothes.

2013 Jan 4
If you promise to pick up my bar tab, I'll go. I'm very distracting.

2013 Jan 6
We went, we ate, we dressed appropriately - no tiaras required! :)

Lunch/brunch was amazing. I don't have anything new to add to the restaurant review, but the wait staff, the food & sitting in the window in a cosy banquet was all excellent. I had a glass of Cava with my meal, and I liked how they brought the bottle to the table and poured the glass there. Many of places I've been lately have done a very precise, weighted pour, so I liked the more casual approach.

I definitely return for a meal out with my husband or friends.