Help! Cooking Prime Rib [General]

2012 Dec 21
I need help cooking a prime rib. My husband ordered a 6lb prime rib roast from the butcher. The butcher is cutting off the ribs, but tying them onto the roast for cooking.

I've never cooked one before and have read many options - high heat/low heat, pan-sear then oven. My head is spinning.

Here is what one person has recommended:
425 for 15 min. then turn it to 325 for 15-10 min; per pound if you like it rare.

Any other tips or suggestions?

Thanks!

2012 Dec 21
Here's a recipe I was going to try although it might not match up to what your butcher is delivering:

www.foodnetwork.com

2012 Dec 21
Yum!

My preference is on a rotisserie heated via charcoal. A bit of steak spice on the outside as well. Other times have used crushed garlic, oil and coarse salt as a rub.

2012 Dec 21
www.seriouseats.com

Essentially you're doing the reverse of what the butcher suggested, with what ive found to be superior results. It works great because it cooks the meat gently and evenly to your desired doneness and then cranks the heat up to get the well done outer crust. It avoids the problem of overcooking the outer regions (the gray line of meat) that comes from pan searing first and the crusting process goes pretty quickly because the outside has already been dried and warmed through the long and slow cooking process. I've used this a bunch of times with great success, just make sure that you have an accurate thermometer.

2012 Dec 21
Yeah, what PB&A says is what I'd do. And as always, use a good stem thermometer to check for doneness.

2012 Dec 21
Definately the way to go. I have done this many times also with great results.

Remember to season the meat at least a day or two in advance.

The coolest part is not much carry-over cooking and it's easy to hold and serve.

(if you're cooking for a crowd i'd suggest finishing it early and that way you'll have the oven free for other stuff)

2012 Dec 21
I do alot of Prime Rib, different methods - the most important thing as mentioned is your internal temp - a perfect medium rare is 57 degrees Celcius, your roast will continue to rise after you pull it out to rest by approx 2-4 degrees celius.

Finding your good Rub recipe, lather in olive oil, sear on the BBQ and then into the oven for a nice cook.

i would recommend a nice digital probe that you can leave in the roast and set it on the counter typically about $50.00 - the Igrill is fun if you are a Iphone user

Good Luck.

2012 Dec 21
Here are some more really good tips and information regarding Prime Rib
www.seriouseats.com

and for the major food geeks...

www.seriouseats.com