In search of soy nog [Food/Vendor]

2012 Dec 16
Hi guys,

Has anybody seen soy-based eggnog in the stores this year? The last time we discussed it (apparently) was like five years ago, and I don't know if it's still available.

2012 Dec 16
Not in Ottawa, I picked some up at Price Choppers in Ogdensburg a couple of weeks ago.

2012 Dec 16
I saw some Vitasoy brand nog at Independent in Carleton Place, in the organics aisle, so I'm sure others in the Ottawa will carry it. I tried their chocolate mint drink and it's pretty good! $2 per box.

2012 Dec 16
they had it loblaws at southkeys in the organic section last week...
(I haven't tried it though)

2012 Dec 17
I saw some at Hartman's today.

2012 Dec 18
Gosh-DARNIT! I was at Hartman's on Sunday and couldn't find it. Nog aisle or organics aisle? I checked both.

2012 Dec 18
I'm not sure if it's still there today, but it was in the small side refrigerator attached to where the frozen waffles are.

2012 Dec 19
Ah! I think I know where you mean.

I ended up finding a single bottle, in the organics section of the Loblaws at Baseline and Merivale. No idea if it was in its usual place, as it looked like it was cast off there.

The taste is nice, but the mouthfeel pales in comparison to the rich, thick eggnog I'm used to. Guess if you add enough amaretto you won't be able to tell the difference, though ;)

2012 Dec 19
If it's just the milk that you want to avoid, I'd suggest making your own eggnog... with enough egg yolks, you could get a nice rich result even if you replace the milk with soy milk.

A vegan version would be more difficult... maybe mixing some silken tofu in with the soy milk could help? And lots of alcohol, of course ;-)