Westvleteren Beer [General]

2012 Dec 12
I don't suppose anyone was able to score a six pack yesterday...

If you did, and would be willing to part with a bottle, please PM me. I would be VERY grateful.

2012 Dec 13
PM'd, but I'd encourage anyone else interested to also PM the OP since I may not be the most help.

2012 Dec 13
What's this about Westvleteren Beer?

2012 Dec 13
I wonder if there will be any more released? The LCBO inventory says that the only bottles in the province are a huge number in the Bayview Village (Toronto) store. That seems really weird.

2012 Dec 13
"What's this about Westvleteren Beer?"

They had a North America gift pack release and folks in Ontario went a bit mental. Someone was at the Rideau LCBO at 1:30 this morning for the priviledge of paying $80 for six bottles of something that was over-hyped 10 years ago. My prediction: 5 years from now you'll be able to grab a Westy 12 for 5-10 bucks at every LCBO in the province.

A fine beer, but it's arguably been surpassed by dozens of readily available others. I'm getting pretty anxious for the "craft" beer craze to pass.

2012 Dec 13
I've heard the same thing from friends of mine who have tried it: it's good, but it's certainly not $13 a bottle good.

It comes with a hefty price tag because the Trappists who make it sell bottles at their abbey and nowhere else. (Although the Wikipedia page tells me that the 12 is €39.00 for 24 at the abbey, which means we're paying about double the regular price.)

They usually only make enough beer to pay for the upkeep of the abbey, but this year they're increasing their volume in order to pay for some extensive roof repairs.

en.wikipedia.org

2012 Dec 13
Personally, I'd like to see what the hub-bub is about. I've paid $13 for far less scarce beer (at a resto here in Ottawa) that originated in the Province. There is a lot of fine beer being brewed within 100km that is closer to $5 for equivalent volumes, and I'd like to compare it.

I am not so sure about Brian Mc's guess. They can charge a premium due to the relative scarcity. My bet is once the repairs are paid for, they'll switch back to sales only at the Abbey.

2012 Dec 13
pssst hhh if you really hurry you can taste an excellent Belgian bargain, Tripel Karmeliet, at Carling & Woodroffe lcbo, last one in E ON. www.lcbo.com or organize a road trip to Thunder Bay...

Or if you want to spent some big $ on a beer to see how good it is try a Rogue Juniper Ale, I think it's 32.25 at Beer Bros Bistro, +tx I think.

2012 Dec 13
Possibly, but I'm sceptical. It isn't as rare as it once was. Pubs in Ontario were stocking it a few months ago and you can find bottles online easily enough. Is there any point in the monks holding off on production when other people are taking advantage of the perceived rarity?

There are also suggestions that the current version is different from what it once was. These are almost inevitable when rare beers become more available ("I was drinking Westy back when it was good"), but still.

2012 Dec 13
LCBO will ship stock from one store to another at no charge (at least they used to). Took a while for my product to get back to the central wharehousing and out to an Ottawa store, but it was worth the wait.

Saved me a road trip to Kitchener/Waterloo.

2012 Dec 13
Just curious which pubs in Ontario were stocking this very rare beer just months ago. That would be a very strange turn of events if true.

2012 Dec 14
Pub Italia, Bellwoods, Castros, Against the Grain, Beer Bistro, probably about a dozen. It's a pain to get, but it really isn't "very rare".

2012 Dec 14
It was available in the better pubs Saskatchewan a few weeks ago ... just saying.
(listed at $24/bottle.)

2012 Dec 14
Apparently other Canadians didn't momentarily lose their sanity over this and there are displays of them to be found in quite a few cities, especially in Alberta. Think I heard Halifax has some sitting around too.

2012 Dec 14
kinda on-topic. Thanks to everybody for raving about Magic Hat #9. Scored a sixer at Scott Street beer store Wednesday. My new favourite brew.

2012 Dec 14
I know, right?

2012 Dec 16
I'll drag this a bit further off-topic then. What's Magic Hat #9 like? I've never tried it, so I'd love to hear how it tastes.

2012 Dec 16
You know, I can't really describe what the flavour is that is different. I want to say sweet, but it isn't. I'm having one right now and can't figure it out. Maybe after a couple more.

Buy a 6 pack. It isn't going to kill you. It's certainly cheaper than the Westfalian beer described here.

2012 Dec 16
Apricot?

2012 Dec 16
Surprisingly yes. It is apricot. I was shocked to read the ingredients, cause I usually don't go for fruity beers. Great tasting beer that complemented my pork tenderloin souvlaki pita dinner tonight.

Momomoto, if you're not into fruity beers, don't rule this one out. It is unlike any other beer I've had. There aren't many beers I can drink in the winter unaccompanied by food, even a snack, but MH9 is one.

2012 Dec 17
Thank you. Now I can sleep.

2012 Dec 18
How did you guys hear about this rare beer?

2012 Dec 18
There were a few local news stories (CBC included) just prior to the sale. After that, it is a pretty easy google.

2012 Dec 19
I think that there was some very savvy marketing that went on.

2012 Dec 20
I had one tonight - paid $12 for it which was what my buddy paid. Good beer but not really my thing and I wouldn't even buy it again at $3 a bottle. Beers on the extreme malty side like that are always on the borderline for my tastebuds where they are verging into the "oxydized" neighbourhood and it was just not enjoyable as a result.

I'm glad I had a chance to see what all the fuss was about, but even more glad I found it to be not all that :-)

2012 Dec 21
A friend of mine came over with a few the other night. We mixed it with Canada Dry to make shandies. It wasn't too bad.

No, not really.