Galen Weston / Loblaws crushes entreprenuers? [General]

2012 Dec 12

Loblaws makes promises with small company to carry and promote their products, then reneges on the deal (TWICE!) before launching the same product under their own label.

Meanwhile the small business owners have lost everything.

Shameful.

2012 Dec 12
It is difficult to say what the whole story is here but I'm posting this in my social media with hopes that if it goes viral then at least we'll find out what the whole story is.

2012 Dec 12
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story eh Zym? By propagating this, it damages Loblaw's rep regardless of whether the truth gets out or not.

Btw, small businesses screw over suppliers, landlords, customers, etc all the time too, this isn't the exclusive domain of Big Bad Business. You wanna see choirboys, go to church.

2012 Dec 12
So what are the facts Bacon I.V. ? If you have them, please do tell!

Facts on this will undoubtedly never come out unless this goes viral - as per my original comment above. I know there could be many facets to this, but the only way to get the other side of the story is to force it out of them because the most likely course of action is to bleed the small business dry with procedural legal proceedings (which seems to be suggested in this video)

I remain on the fence until I see both sides - but I'm never going to see the other side if this does not go viral.

2012 Dec 12
I found the patent application in the patent database, it hasn't been granted yet, so that might be part of the problem they are having. They can't get a result until they have an issued patent in their hands.

Searched the Federal Court registry, couldn't find any actions involving Loblaws/Weston involving this information.

The other obvious problem is that lawsuits are super expensive with unfortuantely no guaranteed outcome.

For their sake, I really hope they had a non-dislosure agreement in place when they first dealt with Loblaws.

2012 Dec 12
+1 for what Tracinho said. I have no legal training but hope they had a contract/agreement in place beforehand. I fail to see what purpose it would serve going viral with the video other than public shaming perhaps.

2012 Dec 12
If they have proceeded with tooling up based upon a written commitment to the order from Loblaws, and then Loblaws have withdrawn that commitment and launched their own brand of the same product, there may well legitimately be a case. Of course, we're taking her word for it that things occurred as she claims, but I don't find it very hard to believe that a large corporation, especially a supermarket chain, has acted with a flagrant disregard for law or morality. It wouldn't exactly be the first time.

2012 Dec 12
It is only illegal if the other guys have deeper pockets for lawyers than you do

2012 Dec 12
"In a demonstration of the power of social networks, Loblaw executive chairman Galen G. Weston responded late Wednesday to Ms. House’s YouTube plea, saying the company wanted to resolve the matter quickly. “The events she describes are deeply disturbing and do not in any way meet the high ethical standards aspired to by Loblaw Companies and outlined in its code of conduct. Putting the legal protocols of this situation on hold, I have requested a personal meeting with Amanda to better understand the situation and we will do our best to resolve it right away.”

...the owners of YoPRO Treats were already fighting the retailer in court when they turned to social media.

“That’s an unconventional legal strategy,” said Jeremy de Beer, a law professor at the University of Ottawa. “The court of public opinion provides far better remedies than a court of law can in many cases. The process is much faster, the impact is often much stronger and it may lead to more satisfactory resolution.” (or) “It can undermine the strength of your legal claims”...“You’ve already played your ace.” "

From the article here:
www.theglobeandmail.com

Video on it as well:
www.theglobeandmail.com

2012 Dec 13
I'm not sure if it's just big or small businesses that screw people, I'm pretty sure it's people who screw people. I recently heard from a small local farmer who got screwed by a small up and coming specialty butcher. It's not always about the size of the company, simply that people get screwed. Very sad indeed.

And while this went viral and Mr. Weston responded, will we ever really know the truth or facts about what happened? Who knows. I also wonder if Ms. House will do a follow up video on the outcome of all this.

Seems like no matter what, there is no real winner or looser. Do either of them benefit? Bad rap for Loblaws, fiance in the hospital for the small business owner. I'd take neither, thanks!

2013 Mar 3
Update after I GOT THE ORIGINAL VID TO GO VIRAL for Amanda. Gallen has not resolved a settlement as of this date and my media friends and john Tory of the PC party (I know)have now been added this week to help. as a past Sr. Executive for HBC I know this bankrupting of individuals and even manufactures, is a common one (done more by stores like walmart in general merchandise. This however is an exception to ethical business practices and unacceptable for Gallen Jr to not "man-up". Just Google "Lowblaws COURT" for other facts.