Caramelized onions for cheeses [Food/Vendor]

2012 Dec 9
hi, which caramelized onions do you recommend to go with cheeses and crackers. I am preparing for a wine and cheese in a few days. Thanks!

2012 Dec 9
Do you mean which onions to use to make caramelized onions?

If so, I usually use Vidalia if I can get them or any sweet yellow onion.

2012 Dec 9
I meant which premade bottle would people recommend. I guess I could make it too...

2012 Dec 9
Sorry, Can't help you there, I've never bought caramelized onions.

2012 Dec 9
I've never seen packaged caramelized onions; I'm not sure how you could package them and have them taste even remotely nice. Do you mean onion jam? That's a rather more normal thing to serve with cheese and crackers and that you might buy pre-prepared, I think.

2012 Dec 9
If you can find the Beekman Boys 1802 blaak onion jam it's amazing. Not sure if it's available locally, but I've bought it in the usa.
shop.beekman1802.com/

2012 Dec 9
There's a President's Choice Black Label onion jam which is quite good.

2012 Dec 10
@blubarry - best of luck trying to find any of that stuff now that the owners have won the amazing race!

2012 Dec 10
Stuart S they practically own Sharon Springs, NY; and I think their operation is worth WAY more than what they won on TV. They had their own TV series in the states before they went on AR and used to be regulars on Martha Stewart. They make beautiful goat's milk soap too...

2012 Dec 10
Thank you for the Suggestions! I might not have time to shop for the Beekman but will keep it in my notes. The PC one is more available.

2012 Dec 11
I've enjoyed the Stonewall Kitchen roasted garlic onion jam, but it may be too garlicky for what you want to use it for?

2012 Dec 11
Not necessarily. Where do they sell them?

2012 Dec 12
Red Door has pickled, sliced shallots in a jar. Saw those at one of the shows we did last weekend. Those would probably fit the bill.

2012 Dec 12
I believe I've seen the roasted garlic onion jam at Saslove's and Brian's Butchery. There are probably other places, too, but I just don't know about 'em.