Toaster for home made bread [General]

2012 Dec 6
I was hoping someone could recommend a good toaster that can handle tall, thick slices of home made bread. My current toaster needs replacing and I would rather not use the oven or buy a toaster oven. Any suggestions?

2012 Dec 6
Sorry, I've always found the toaster to be too limited in scope which is WHY we have a toaster oven.

Not helpful, I know. Sorry.

2012 Dec 6
How tall is "tall"?

2012 Dec 6
8 to 10 inches maybe. I ate the measuring slice for breakfast in all it's poorly toasted glory.

2012 Dec 6
But where do you buy raw toast?

2012 Dec 6
Perhaps you should look at a professional conveyor style toaster.

I'd say to go for a toaster oven like the Breville, but you mentioned that you don't want that.

I have a KitchenAid toaster and while it's not overly fast, it it toasts VERY evenly and looks good. It accepts thick slices, but tall slices may require flipping half way.

2012 Dec 6
Oh, I just thought of another style...there was a 4 slice toaster that I've seen that has two long slots to accomodate (two long slots instead of 4 individual). This would easily fit tall brad, layed on it's side. I'll try to think of the brand/model.

2012 Dec 6
After spending up to $200 on various toasters and being disappointed, I settled on this one from Cuisinart. I've seen it for up to $125 but I got it for $59 at costco. It won't do an 8" slice of bread, but it fits a nice thick slice of Art is in buttermilk bread and it toasts very evenly. I am obsessed with the countdown feature that has a digital readout so that I know exactly when it will pop.

2012 Dec 6
Jeebus, if you just want a thick slice toaster Giant Tiger had a B&D a few weeks ago for 20 or 30 bucks (will have to ask SWMBO). In fact we have the same one from about 15 years ago here if you want to replace the cord. Free for the asking. I looked at the cord and it is a bit funny where it attaches to the toaster and I could not figure out how to get in there to replace it. Has otherwise worked great for years.

2012 Dec 6
Tree Pug I'll tell you what I do when my bread slice is too tall - cut it in half and pop both pieces in the toaster. Works every time! Bonus: my dragonlady no longer complains about tall untoasted toast.

2012 Dec 6
Yes I tried that but the sandwich fan in me wants the top and bottom pieces to match ;-)

2012 Dec 6
The one we got from GT has extra wide slots to fit bagels and was $15. Tall slices would require flipping, I think.

2012 Dec 6
What about a toaster oven?

2012 Dec 7
Go old school... fire pit and one of those cast iron 'cage' gizmos with the long handle.

2012 Dec 7
Go trade school... a blow torch.

2012 Dec 7
Three people thumbed down the suggestion of a toaster oven?

WTF is wrong with you people? Seriously ...

2012 Dec 7
zymurgist The OP said they are not interested in buying a toaster oven. For the record none of those thumbs downs are from me...

2012 Dec 7
Whoops, OK, my bad. I deserve more thumbs down. Captain skimmer over here ...

Though the OP seems awfully fussy to me :-)

2012 Dec 7
Nope no more thumbs down deserved. And I agree you shouldn't have gotten any thumbs down at all - seems kinda petty to me and I'm sure you just missed part of the original request which is an honest mistake IMO... And I love my toaster oven too-;)

2012 Dec 7
I don't give thumbs down for this kind of thing, but in defense of those who do... If you are replying to a question on an internet forum, it behooves you to read the question carefully out of respect for the readers. The uselessness of an answer is magnified according to the number of readers. As a seasoned veteran of forums Zym knows this very well, which is why he honorably requested more thumbs down.

The same goes for the original poster and in fact any post on a forum. There is only one writer of a post and there are many readers. Signal to noise ratio must be high or the whole discussion is a waste of everyone's time.

Sorry for the noise. ;-)

2012 Dec 7
Hi! Thanks for all the advice. I have taken it all under consideration and will ask Santa for a toaster oven. ;-)

2012 Dec 7
HA! In your face everyone who thumbed me down!

(only half tongue in cheek)

2012 Dec 7
Well, I first mentioned the Breville toaster oven.....only I recognized their desire to not opt for a toaster oven...8-)

As long as it's a toaster oven that heats up quickly....I had a Betty Crocker one that was brutal...it dried the bread before it toasted it....

2012 Dec 7
Okay, my original advice to get a toaster oven (which got no thumbs down at all) is finally followed. Thank you. There's a lesson here. Everyone should listen to me more.

BTW, I'm piling on zymurgist now, just because I'm like that.

When getting a toaster oven, let's point out some important features.
- I like one with a rounded back side so it can fit a pizza.
- Try the timer. It should work even without power. The one we have has only worked half of the time since we got it. I have to turn it on and off 3 or 4 times before it starts ticking away toward destruction. Try it a couple of times to make sure it works.
- An easily removable crumb tray is a must.
- If you can find one where the door pulls the rack out a bit when it opens, that's a real bonus. Most don't do that anymore, but some do with a level on the door and some with magnets. MAGNETS ARE THE FUTURE!

2012 Dec 7
They had a really awesome toaster oven at St Vincent de Paul a few weeks ago looked like brand new for 8 bucks. I really wanted it but we just don't have space for it.

2012 Dec 11
Buy this one. You will be happy. I listened to a man rant on a podcast about how awful toaster ovens were nowadays (5by5.tv/hypercritical/18), and he ended up getting an 1800-watt Breville BOV650XL.

www.amazon.com

I would trust this man with my life.

I would trust this man to make me toast.

I would love to find room in my house to have one of my own.

2012 Dec 12
A Breville Toater Oven ?

Pick up a NEW one while in Toronto for the holidays. Or have one of your Torontonian friends pick it up. Only $100 (or do what I would do ... offer 80 bucks, cash). A new one lists at $229US and sells for $175US.

ontario.kijiji.ca

2012 Dec 12
What the hell? Did that fall of the back of a truck or what?