Saucisse de Morteau [Food/Vendor]

2012 Dec 4

Has anyone here heard of the Saucisse de Morteau?

I was recently very lucky to spend some time in Saint-Malo, France where I got to know a local butcher. He provided me with some delicious smoked pork cuts that resembled bacon but were much more lean. Our kids could not get enough of it.

He also recommended a white pork sausage that was similar in taste to a German weissewurst and very good.

But my absolute favourite was his last suggestion: Le Saucisse de Morteau. It apparently is made specifically in an eastern part of France, near the Swiss border, at an altitude of 600 meters or more if it is to be certified.

It's a smoked sausage but, pardon my ignorance if I'm using the terms incorrectly, not fully smoked as it still needs to be cooked. I was instructed to boil it in water for about 30 minutes.

It's rich, fatty, smoky and flavourful like no other sausage I've tried.

Despite all I've written above, I'm not a big meat eater, but if I could get my hands on one of these twice a year I would be very happy.

It's a long stretch, I know, but if any of you know someone who imports them to any place nearby, please let me know.