Prices on websites [General]

2012 Nov 29
I have been curious to the answer of this question for quite some time and wondering if anybody can shed some light on it. Why do some restaurants post their menu on their website but do not include pricing information. Generally one can guesstimate the approximate price but I find it a deterent to trying a new place if I don't have an idea beforehand what I am going to end up spending. Thoughts on this??

2012 Nov 29
The practice of leaving off prices seems counterproductive to me too, and I would be hesitant to visit a restaurant without any idea of at least one variable in the value equation: Value = Quality / Price

One reason I can think of is that they don't want the extra work of keeping the numbers up to date on the website when the price changes. But if it's a restaurant that changes its menu offerings frequently, then changing the price would be no extra effort.

So... maybe it's just to keep the prices away from competitors' eyes (to prevent underselling)? It seems kind of pointless though.

2012 Nov 29
If I am checking out the web site of a place I have never visited and there are no prices, We do not go! I like a ball park figure of what I might spend. Some nights are special and then I am willing to pay, others are just a quick bite out so I want to know the prices.

2012 Nov 29
+1 - I have been looking at restos and said - oh no price... next...

2012 Nov 30
I found it odd when I went to a site and their menu link opened a PDF, but then thought this was the best idea. You can keep your prices (and menu changes) current by simply updating the PDF instead of getting all covered in HTML. Yuck.

Okay, it breaks from the seamless page experience you were looking for when you had the site designed, but you don't have to pay a maintenance robot every time you need to change something on your menu.

2012 Nov 30
Lack of prices is almost as irritating to me as no menu. When I plan dinners out with friends I like sending them links to my favourite places so they can have a look at the menu. Then they can decide if the food/price is within their range.

2012 Dec 11
I had always thought that one of the primary reasons was that the restaurant has a national presence, and the pricing varied between provinces.

I have no official confirmation of this, though. It's just vast speculation on my part.

2012 Dec 11
That would make sense, but when it's a locally-owned personal effort restaurant?

Similarly, seeing a sandwhich board with all kinds of options but no prices makes me leery - depending on the place. Bistro-style, found all over, make me think the food may be a little overpriced for the quality. Quality-looking places, similar to those websites, make me think "If I must ask about the price, I can't afford it". And sometimes the place is obviously simpler, or else has a menu on the window and the sandwhich board is just to attract attention. Those I like.