Westjet food [General]

2012 Nov 23
Can anyone recommend their food?

2012 Nov 23
you may find it challenging to find anyone who recommends airplane food, unless you are flying first class on Air France... bring a tasty snack w/ you!

2012 Nov 23
The only really good food I've encountered on a flight were on Singapore Airlines.

2012 Nov 23
Westjet sells icky cold sandwiches branded by relatively decent restaurants that should know better. The sandwiches aren't cheap either.

2012 Nov 23
no :)

2012 Nov 23
Mennonite sausage sandwiches it is then ;-)

2012 Nov 25
Positively cannot recommend. As with any Canadian or American airline, in my experience, you're much better off just packing a sandwich if you're leaving from home, or grabbing something (to go or not) at the airport--either way you're still paying inflated prices, but at least you get to control things enough so as to rule out bottom-of-the-barrel mediocrity, which is what WJ's sandwiches are.

2012 Nov 26
The snacks that Porter supplies are quite delicious. But yeah... North American arlines are pretty poor when it comes to food. I think my best experience for food was SwissAir or some local airline in China that served fried noodles and some other deliciousness.

2012 Nov 30
I would not recommend airline food unless you get upgraded and sometimes not even then.

Yeah porter served decent snacks but unfortunately the only time I tried them YOW-YTZ-EWR it was drastically delayed due to fog where we got bounced around YYZ private airfield and YTZ. Insteand of getting in as scheduled at 10:30 am I got in around 4pm, so I would not use them again unless it is for direct flights that are very frequent like yow-ytz or ytz-yul.

2012 Dec 1
I actually sometimes enjoy airplane food...maybe its the whole flying experience that overshadows the poor quality food?

We once flew with TWA (remember them?) and we where near the tailend of the plane. They actually ran out of food and we had to settle for random leftover snacks for dinner!!! They are no longer...wonder why!?

2012 Dec 1
my first flight to England was in '85 on Wardair. We had a nice meal on china/stoneware with real knife and fork and I remembered a carnation! This was on the back on the bus but great service. These days I just feel like cattle when I fly lol.

2012 Dec 2
FoodTravel, back in the day I used to fly on a student discount on Nordair between Ottawa and Windsor. Even at the back of the bus we were served hot hors d'ouevres and meals on china with real cutlery. Nowadays even in first class the food generally sucks, except I did once get a wonderful kaiseki meal returning from Tokyo.

2013 Mar 10
Blubarry,

We are showing our age with these "back in our days...." lol

With the number of airlines gone out of business, merged, etc. it is getting difficult to remember who became what.

When I was working in France many moons ago, I prefer flying British Midlands to London to visit friends since they used to serve hot food on that short flight. On a recent flight on BA it was a drink and choice of a cookie, muffin or a small bag of crisps.

International business can be decent on some airlines, more often the Asian ones. But even in the back of the bus, food catered from other countries have some interesting items that I would not mind being able to purchase frozen and heat at home. I actuall like the modern style UK pasty / hot pockets they serve on AC flights from LHR.

2013 Mar 10
Food Travel, not just the food, but the service can be shockingly bad now. Typically on a coast to coast flight the attendants race down the aisles twice in quick succession and then sit down and read for the remaining 5 hours of the flight. On a recent flight the attendant offered me a second drink literally 10 minutes after the first and when I said "not right now thanks. Maybe a little later." She curtly responded "This IS later."

2013 Mar 12
Most of the time flying is "cattle truck" these days.

I have had a handful of really good flights in the last few years but it is due to exceptional Service director(s) and crew that often fly with him / her.

2013 Mar 14
We flew United recently and though you had to purchase it(Economy Plus)the cheese and fruit plate with crackers wasn't bad (and available all day). I think it was $7-which had to be paid debit or cc and canadian debit wouldn't work on the plane...sigh. Other than that the only thing half decent offering recently was from Air France. Best to eat in the airport (?) or bring a sandwich/snack and eat it before you arrive at your destination. Even 1st class food isn't great anymore (I was sitting beside someone whose spouse was in 1st-he didn't want his meal, brought it back to her and she declined. It looked like an upscale Michelina with a couple of raw veggies and a piece of old cheesecake...)

2013 Mar 15
I`ve had some great flights w Westjet recently, but none of that is related to the food.

2013 Mar 15
In 2011 I flew Air India from Delhi to Toronto, just over 15 hours non-stop. We were served three meals of mutton curry with rice. No other food was available, even if you wanted to pay for it. It was THE WORST.

2013 Mar 17
I've not done much flying in the last decade, but I recall that Westjet had 'fun' service. Food served was packets of nuts. Must have been a short flight I was on.

One of my memorable trips was back when I had only one child underfoot, and far fewer farm animals than I have now. I went to visit my family in the Arctic, and on the flight home (I think it was First Air, but can't recall for sure now) we were served great big mugs of hot cocoa with a big dollop of whipping cream.

Then the meal was an amazing caribou stew with veg, warm fresh rolls with butter (spreadable, not rock hard), some kind of berries (possibly partridge and some other type) with a simple custard, and a side of asparagus (it was springtime). There was also a little square of dark chocolate served with the meal.

Just when we all thought it couldn't get better, they brought out these huge, warm, chocolate chip cookies.

Even though we were all packed in like sardines on this flight, there were ooh's and ahh's heard all over the plane every time they brought us something to eat!