new foodies mailing list [General]

2012 Nov 20
Hey folks, a few friends and I have started a new site "yowsers.ca" which is intended to be a community gathering point for the YOW region. The eventual goal is to run both forums and mailing lists on specific topics, and our first topic is food :-)

So - there is nothing at the website right now and won't be for the immediate future at least. But we do have our first mailing list up and running. The intent is precisely the same as these forums on this site, but it is email based (using the Mailman list server). The server itself is based on the Amazon AWS cloud if that matters to you.

If you want to participate in a foodies mailing list, please sign up here :

lists.yowsers.ca

2012 Nov 20
Not interested in the food list, or getting more email, but as your group grows I would be interested in other topics. I really miss Ask Around Ottawa, I used to the use the site a lot and it has been dead for a long time now. I've gotten great recommendations for contractors, HVAC servce, furnace sales & install through word of mouth & twitter, but wish there was a good Ottawa forum for all of that in one place.

2012 Nov 20
We'll set up lists on demand if we think it is a good list to host ... what name would you propose and what would be the intent? I guess just general recommendations for things like that old site?

I'll ask the board of directors about it ;-)

2012 Nov 20
HFF - have you ever been on Reddit? There's a sub forum for Ottawa which is pretty active (nearly 6000 subscribed users) and you can ask or share anything about anything to do with Ottawa.

www.reddit.com/r/ottawa/

Just be warned, Reddit is one of the most life draining websites in existence. I swear I've lost entire weeks of my life on that site, but be warned that there are some very dark places as well.

2012 Nov 20
You just ruined my productivity for the afternoon.
I hope you're happy.

2012 Nov 20
Yes, yes I am.