goat milk leads pls [General]

2012 Nov 17
hello...Looking for goats milk...shares or ?...whatever info you can offer. I am about 1 hour south from Ottawa though...Would be hoping for someone between Spencerville and Valleyfield QC ---maybe even St.Lazre Qc---for example not too far off the highway 401.(I could not get to Ottawa every week for fresh milk.) Cannot even find any in the stores around here! and although i've been trying to find a perfect dairy goat for ourselves on the hobby farm and learning much about keeping goats...we are not quite ready! Anyone have any leads? I have 4 kids under 8....always looking for healthy nutricious foods for the family :)

2012 Nov 18
Goat's tend to be pretty seasonal for milk production, and generally stop producing this time of year. Over the last few years, I've noticed that people come out in droves this time of year looking for goat milk, but they all disappear come spring when kidding time arrives!

Most of the people I know with goats have Nubians, because the milk is so good, and doesn't taste 'goaty' like milk from a Toggenburg goat which is what the majority of commercial goat farmers raise. Not sure what the milk production on other goat breeds is like. Maybe 'cold climate' goat like an Alpine would produce through the winter.

Try the lanarklocalflavour.ca/home and see if there are any goat farms listed, I think the first one even offers goat shares. or at least did at one point. Maybe you can even find a goat for sale to add to your farm!

2012 Nov 18
There's Hewitt's (though outside your described geographic area in Hagersville S/W of Hamilton, ON) and their website here: www.hewittsdairy.com/
Under the heading Goat Milk there's a section "Interested in Producing Goat Milk?".

In Ottawa, I have seen Hewitt's organic goat milk at both Herb & Spice shops. Market Organics and the organic section of larger Loblaw stores and Farm Boy may/probably carry it as well.
Good luck.

2012 Nov 19
Most large grocery stores in Quebec have goat milk. IGA for example (magasin.iga.net milk)

2012 Nov 19
Thanks guys...I heard nubians are pretty good for milk too---sanaans any good for taste...kinda headed the way of adding to the homestead (of course I am LOL)
...just thought I'd get the children tasting before I make a change over here...going to visit farm boy here tomorrow...although it is small in a small town...I often get into quebec..so might look at loblaws next time I run in there. thanks for the hits..you are all very kind.
As for buying a milking goat...I was one of those people this past spring...but people would only let go of the mama with the baby around here...seemed kind of unfair since I only wanted the mom after baby was weaned to continue milking ...I even offered $200 just for the mum and I'm just not into growing out a goat to eat or resell. Are goats hard to sell---sheesh? I plan on adding a companion within months of the first addition...just would prefer to try out one breed at a time.
One lady even stated it was wrong of me to want goat milk without going through the experience of a birth and appreciating the natural process of lifes' beginnings with a kid to admire....whhaaat? I love animals but trying to push a pregnant goat on me for $350 just was not what I was looking for..so I keep looking....
which month approx should I get serious about checking ads for goats still feeding kids but close to weaning them?---should look at my books again...would that be march?
In the meantime if any of you remember this post (smiling) and hear of someone even with an older good milking goat they want a super home for...contact me at WWW.thenestegg.webs.com I've learned alot this year and think I'm ready for the leap come spring. very exciting...:)
Off to the store and still searching for shares or something...have a great day!

2012 Nov 19
I think you will never find a goat currently milking for $200 unless the person is broke or there is something wrong with the goat! Cheapest I bought a dairy goat for was $225 and she was pregnant and no longer giving milk.

2012 Nov 19
you made me think a bit now....oh i hope i wasn't insulting her when i offered $200 for the goat mama instead of 230 for a 3 week old and mama. Guess i just thought the baby was worth more to her once it was a couple months old and completely weaned. I probably woulda given her #250 even if she woulda just 'wanted the kid'
Anyways those were two different cases Or experiences i've had so far
....the other lady just want me to start my goat learning with a birth within 1-2 months of buying it...that was a little odd and uncomfortable...I would pay up to $300 for a good milking goat...guess i just have to be patient and I should find something right....
Do most goats birth easily without any surprise of some need for assistance?...this is my worry brain preventing me from going that way...
Oh and no goat milk at my closest farm boy...next stop loblaws...fingers crossed.

2012 Nov 20
taras.far, Kidding is an honest to goodness side effect of goats milk.

My thought would be if you really want to take on a goat and have goats milk for your family, make sure your children like it. The stuff from the store will be not much like the milk fresh from the goat though. See if you can try some from a farm first.

A really good milking goat is as Krusty says not cheap. There is a good chance you offended the farmer. A healthy, sound animal should live a long time, and provide you years of milk and offspring. If you are not prepared to deal with offspring, then I wouldn't want to see you get a goat. Other farmers may feel totally different.

It's not uncommon for a farmer to want a new owner of a cow or goat to buy it towards the end of it's lactation so your are not having to deal with a newly freshened animal with HUGE amounts of milk. That way you get used to milking the animal, and the animal gets used to you, and learns to trust you. Then, when calving or kidding time arrives a while later, you are both more comfortable with the whole thing.

This might sound harsh, but for those that think it's unfair to 'have' to take the baby with the mother, I'd say those folks are more suited to buying the milk from the store or direct from a farmer.

I would also suggest that questions here about how easily goats kid may be asking questions on the wrong forum. A farmers forum about small farms, or say, goats might be a great place to ask that, lol!