New Rumour Elgin St [General]

2012 Nov 12
The building on the NW Corner Elgin and Gladstone with the Hair Place Upstairs.

Taco's, Carmichael, Soon...

That's all I know, can anyone confirm anything else?

2012 Nov 12
The place underneath The Loft that is or used to be a gay bar (something like Reflex)? There have been a few places in there, none seem to last long. It's a little off the beaten track, but if it's Carmichael then it would probably be enough of a destination to work.

Second Cup over the road next door to St Louis just left as well, despite it being the favoured coffee shop of the police they didn't renew their lease. No idea if anything is slated to take its place yet, I know Luc doesn't want to expand St Louis.

2012 Nov 12
I know who's going into to Second Cup as well, but have to keep it quiet for a bit longer... I'll let everybody know as soon as I am able to.

2012 Nov 12
Not sure how "breaking" this news is, since it was blogged about back in August...

blogs.ottawacitizen.com

If you scroll down he talks specifically of his taco-place-on-Elgin plan.

Marroush is moving out and as far as I know the bar to the right of it remains vacant. The bar to the left, however, is called Era and is a gay bar. Operational as of when I walked by and it was bumping some late evening last week.

2012 Nov 12

I live nearby and they've been retrofitting the vacant bar for the last few weeks, I knew somebody must've known something, since he seems to be pretty far along in the process. I

assumed another club was gonna give it a go.

2012 Nov 12
Yeah Carmichael basically signed the lease and stopped Mellows pop up just before he did not creative morning back in late July or early August. I think he was planning to open up late October or November but don't know if he is still on track.

2012 Nov 12
But what is he gonna do when all the hipsters and foodies move on to the next food revolution and realize that taco's are so last week?

2012 Nov 13
Tacos are not so last week. Overpriced, under seasoned, underwhelming tacos probably are. Lets see which side of the fence he ends up falling on.

2012 Nov 13
Mexicans have been living on tacos since before the arrival of the Europeans on their shores, I'm fairly sure that if he does them well there'll be a perfectly strong market for it.

Elgin needs improvement, there are too many shitty bars with bad food along there. Town and Oz Cafe are about the only decent eateries I can think of. A high end taco place sounds like a great idea.

2012 Nov 13
With 2 new office buildings on Elgin that should give the area a kick start it really needs.

2012 Nov 13
Wait, whoa, backup.... MARROUSH is moving out???

This is awful! Where will i go for mediocre shawarma and pseudo-abusive service at 2am????

2012 Nov 13
Actually, that's a good point, I think Elgin St is the only area of Urban Ottawa where you can't walk 30 feet and hit a shwarma place anymore

2012 Nov 13
Marroush has already moved out. They still have their location in Gatineau. I am still a fan and hope they open up somewhere else on this side of the river as well.