Pepperoni [General]

2012 Nov 1
Kind of an odd topic but I need to find some decent pizza pepperoni!

I've recently moved back to the area from Winnipeg and while there I got hooked on the super-cheap but very good Winnipeg Old Country Pepperoni.

Every grocery store i've been to has had nothing but ziggy's or pilliers and they are quite honestly terrible products.

The butcher stores around me all point me in the direction of dry-cured salami, which I like but it doesn't work on pizza for me. Well I guess it works because I still eat it.

It should be fully cooked ready to eat, about a bite size when laid flat, not crazy capsacin spicy but well spiced with herbs and spices. It should not have large bits of fat, which melt and do weird things to pizza when cooked. It should not have a hard, tough or thick outer skin. Needless to say it should be made primarily from meat, not "other things".

I'm sure someone around here makes or sells it. Just let me know where to get it!

Thanks!

2012 Nov 1
www.ottawafoodies.com

Good luck MichaelGA. I just used Napoli pepperoni from Farm Boy and it was ok. It is in the meat counter by the dry sausage

2012 Nov 1
Try Roma pepperoni. I think Bottega has it.

2012 Nov 1
We're very happy with the pepperoni from Saslove's on Wellington.

2012 Nov 2
I recall the IGA in Aylmer had either Roma or New Milano. These are the quasi-monopolies in Quebec, at least for Mtl-area pizzerias.

Other IGAs or even other supermarkets on the QC side may have it as well. The IGA at Greber/ la Verendrye is worth the visit if only for the hundreds of microbrews on hand. If you're a beer lover.

2012 Nov 3
Thanks all - guess I'll be heading on over to an IGA. Especially the one at Greber / la Verendrye.

2012 Nov 3
I like Mastro for pizza pep, you can get it at Nicastro. Sobeys has Chris Bros pep sometimes, it's from the Maritimes, and a lot of people swear by it, although I prefer Brothers from NE Halifax, and bring a bunch back with me whenever I'm down east.

2014 Jan 13
Hello.. if you're looking for the best pepperoni ever... I sell the famous Chris Brothers Pepperoni from Nova Scotia... I also have a wide variety of donair products.. all are authentic and shipped to me directly from the manufacture ..

www.thepepperoniguy.com

I'm on Twitter and FaceBook as well :)

2014 Jan 14
Sorry Pep Guy, I prefer the ORIGINAL Brothers Pepperoni.
It's the same family, but one branch wanted to go for wider distribution.
Chris Bros is now based in NB, the original Brothers still has its shop on Agricola St in Halifax. If you can get that I'll drive out to CP to get it.
I also heard there was a guy in Glace Bay who made a very good pepperoni.
is it just me, or are there a lot of Maritimers on this site?

2014 Jan 17
Brothers won't ship out of Nova Scotia so I went with Chris Brothers... it's an amazing pepperoni and the fine folks of the Ottawa area are loving it!

Maritimers have a hard time finding products like this... it can be a real pain sometimes...

2014 Feb 17
Brothers is SO GOOD - slowly running out of my frozen stash from our last visit to Halifax. Pepperoni Guy - I might just have to resort to Chris Bros - We will be using the last of the good stuff for some winter 'pick-me-up' Pictou Co. style Brown Sauce Pizza!!!! Ontario just doesn't seem to have a product to compare. The new 'Seed to Sausage' will hopefully prove me wrong!

2014 Feb 23
What about Bank St Saussage ?

They make their own saussages, pepperetz (dry sausage sticks), smoked chicken and bacon.

I do not buy pepperono but I'm sure what they have is good.
I haven't been to Bank st saussage in a few months,but hope to go sometime soon when I can eat...

2014 Mar 1
While I haven't tried the pepperoni at Bank St Sausage, I'd definitely take that chance. Everything I've tried there has been amazing, so I see no reason why their pepperoni wouldn't be.

2014 Mar 2
I like the pepperoni from Mike's (the pizza and pasta chain) for homemade pizza. They are sold in most supermarkets on the Quebec side.