Venue for Girls' Night [General]

2012 Oct 28
Hi there,

Does anyone know of a comfortable restaurant in Ottawa that would make a good venue for a girls' night? I'm looking for a place that can accommodate a group of six, is quiet enough to carry on a conversation, but won't balk if we laugh a bit loudly at times. Most importantly, I need a venue where we can linger a bit after dinner and catch up - there's nothing worse than waiting for two months to see your friends (we're all young moms, with no time to socialize), only to be unceremoniously presented the bill and rushed out into the night as soon as the dessert forks hit the table! For some reason, this magic combination of features is hard to find in this town!

Any suggestions are welcome!

2012 Oct 28
Hey SYY! Ha, funny to see you back! Where's my invite to this soiree!? ; )

There are many restos I've closed down that were amazing at letting us stay and chat after a meal.

Fact is most places are really accommodating so you don't really need anywhere specific.

If you really need some suggestions, I can send you a bunch, but one night can differ to the next depending on the clientele seated around you. My friends, present company excluded, have turned heads before but the resto staff were always great and we never received scowls from other patrons. Laughter is infectious.

Reading reviews may give a good sense on whether a particular place may try to rush you out, but my experience shows that few do. They probably assume patrons want an In-out experience so unless there's a late reservation, most don't bat an eye at customers who hang out to chat.

2012 Oct 28
Are you able to schedule this for a night other than Friday or Saturday? I know thats tough if you have work or babies in the early AM. I find most places are more accomdating early week when they are unlikely to be able to turn your table for another seating. Alternatively - book as late as you can, for the same reason. Hard to expect restaurants to give you the table for the entire night if they have people wanting that table. I'm not suggesting you should be hustled out when the desert fork hits the table, but it sounds like you might want to really linger for an hour or two...

2012 Oct 28
I've had great nights out with the girls at Kiko Sushi. They have more than just sushi for fussier eaters, plus yummy cocktails. After you can go to moonroom or two six (ate) for fancier drinks or dessert.
Kiko Sushi Bar

2012 Oct 28
Shore Club? Not overly noisy, but I would say that it's boisterous enough you could get away with some slightly loud fun. And it's a good place to linger because in addition to generous and comfy tables there are really nice lounge chairs on the bar side.

2012 Oct 28
Is Must Wine Bar still open? I've been here a couple times and, while perhaps a bit overpriced, the food is pretty solid and it's rarely busy here in my experience so lingering shouldn't be an issue. Or maybe things have picked up for them since I left town.

2012 Oct 29
Yes Must Wine Bar is still open.

Can you make it out for a lunch or afternoon tea? My GFs and I like Zoe's lounge but we've had best luck on a Saturday or Sunday for afternoon tea. We've been there on Saturday nights when there is a pianist present but the volume level goes up when the diners are trying to talk over the music...

2012 Oct 29
Wellington Gastropub?

2012 Oct 29
Shore club?

2012 Oct 29
Thanks all, for the great suggestions. I came to the right place for advice! I'm going to check out MUST and the Shore Club. Unfortunately, part of the problem is that we are restricted, due to other commitments, to Friday and Saturday nights when it's busiest - but I will take your advice, southshoureg, and book for the last seating.

Big Mouth-we'll do our mommy break in early November - it's happening, come Hell or high water!

Thanks again everyone - much appreciated!