Food Politics - fish farming in NS [General]

2012 Oct 14
Our moderator may decide that this is not within the OF mandate but I think anyone who cares about food should be watching this issue. Here is what I have been emailing my contacts. Anyone who can help spread the word is

Dear Friends,

Open pen fish farming is expanding Nova Scotia over the vociferous objections of costal communities throught the province. The evidence is in and environmentalists are warning us that the consequences are dire. Open pen fish farming pollutes the oceans, destroys wildlife, and will ultimately destroy the fishery, the costal communities and tourism. Nova Scotia cannot survive these impacts.

As some of you know, Brian & I have been visiting NS for 30 years and now spend part of our year here. In 40 years of Political activism I have never seen a more devastating threat to community.

It particularly saddens me to have this happen at the hands of an NDP Government. The rush for short term jobs of ANY type has blinded the government.

Please click on the link below to sign the petition at Change.org. If you want to know more, go to www.salmonwars.com There is a very compelling documentary that will tell you more specifics about why salmon aquaculture will destroy Nova Scotia coastlines as it has in Scotland, BC, Chilie and around the world. This must be stopped.

Before being aware of this issue, we happily ate farmed salmon (any salmon in Canada marketed as Nova Scotian is farmed! Join us in a boycott of this fish. For those in Ottawa consider buying your fish from The Whalesbone Sustainable Fish Market, Kent near Gladstone. Or ask your fish store where the products you buy are from and how they are caught. If farmed AVOID.

Thanks for your assistance with this.

Here is the link:

www.change.org

2012 Oct 14
No doubt that fish makes its way to market in Ottawa so it should definitely be on topic

2012 Oct 14
I'd eat farmed salmon ... IF:

1) They weren't so fatty and had the taste and texture of wild.
2) The colour of the flesh was not obtained by colorants fed to the fish.
3) They keep the price at 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of wild.

The pic is the difference between farm and wild. Note the white fat difference and I usually see a lot more fatty whiteness in the showcase examples. Yuck!

2012 Oct 15
Some coverage in the Chronicle Herald: thechronicleherald.ca

" Morton has picked up the mantle of defending wild marine species, but it is aquaculture, not overfishing, that she sees as the threat.

She arrived in Nova Scotia a week before her lecture to learn first-hand how fish farming is affecting communities in the province.

Her concerns with the aquaculture industry include fish fecal waste accumulating beneath the cages, excess fish feed, chemicals, sea lice and viruses.

“Not only does the industry pollute the shorelines, but it threatens lobster grounds,” Morton said.

She said some of the drugs used to treat sea lice can be harmful to shelled marine species such as prawns on the West Coast or lobsters in Atlantic Canada.

Another issue is the location of fish farms.

Morton said on the West Coast, fish pens are located in deep waters, but in Nova Scotia, many are being placed in shallow bays close to homes and popular fishing grounds.

“They are putting these farms on top of viable lobster grounds where it’s shallow and there is low flush. It seems a real conflict of interest to have one industry allowed to come in and set anchors down right on top of the prime fishing grounds.”"