round on the house [Food/Vendor]

2012 Oct 13
If you go to a pub, and the owner tells your party that the first round is on the house, but when you get the bill you see it's not, do you say something?

2012 Oct 13
lol. could it have simply been a forgetful waiter/owner? sounds like an odd way to do business. unless your party took advantage and ordered a bottle of Armand de Brignac champagne or something...

2012 Oct 14
Absolutely say something!

2012 Oct 14
WTF - is that even a question? How the heck could you NOT say something?

And yeah, what monty said - could just be an absent minded owner

Or alternately - you sure it was really the owner? :-)

2012 Oct 14
This reminds me of ...

Sometimes when I'm near the entrance/exit of stores, I say to someone coming in: "You are our 100,000th customer. Congratulations. You win our grand prize of $1,000. I need to go to the office for the paperwork and the cheque, wait for me at the customer service desk, I'll be right back.

Another Captain Caper !!

2012 Oct 15
Ok, perhaps more details are required.

As our party of five walked into the pub, the owner was standing by the entryway with a few staff members. He said: "What occasion brings five such beautiful women into my restaurant?"

We all had a great laugh at that, and one of my friends answered him very truthfully. She said: "My mom died. We just came from her funeral." And then we all laughed again. We thought it was funny. We had done lots of crying and so forth at the church funeral, and now we were ready to share some laughs and memories.

It was obvious the owner immediately felt really bad and felt he had said the wrong thing. He kept apologizing, and said that the first round of drinks was on the house.

We kept saying it was fine and he said nothing to offend, how could he have known what we were doing before we arrived, and my friend apologized for what she said. We really did think it was funny, and certainly not offensive.

We took our place at a table, and the first of three waitresses came to serve us. We weren't there long, but we did see many different servers. I think that's why the drinks were not on the house.

No, we didn't order anything outrageous, monty. Well, one of my friends did order something that came in a great big fishbowl, but the rest of us just had beer.

At one point, another man came to our table (a friend of the owner he told us) and said that the owner felt really awful, and was too embarrassed to come over, and again we said that it was fine, and it was very kind of him to be so concerned. This man also said that the owner was very serious and that first round would be on the house.

When the bill came, we noticed that the drinks were on the tab. We thought to say something, but the owner was already feeling so bad that we didn't want to make him feel worse. Even though we knew that he would also feel bad if he found out the drinks were not on the house too!

I am fairly certain it was the owner of the pub, but... Say, Captain Caper, what do you look like?

2012 Oct 15
If I may...

Here's what I think MIGHT have happened, first of all I don't doubt the offer of the first round was sincere...

The server took your order, punched it in (no ticky no drinky) & the owner simply forgot to 'Promo' the drinks...

It wouldn't have been rude to say something & if the fellow felt bad about what he said I'm pretty sure he'd be devastated after he realized the drinks had been paid for.

I know I would like to hear from you if it were me; he sounds like a real decent guy & I think he'd appreciate the opportunity to redeem himself.

Terry

2012 Oct 15
Doesn't "first round on me" usually assume there will be more than one round? If most people had only one drink then he might have thought something like, "I said first round on me, not *last* round on me!" ;-)

However, I'd be more inclined to think this if the owner wasn't trying to make amends for his unintentional gaffe... It sounds like an honest mistake.

2012 Oct 16
"Say, Captain Caper, what do you look like?"

Why ? Have you been 'Captain Capered' ?

2012 Oct 17
They'd know.
Oh, how they'd know.

2012 Oct 20
I agree. Politely say to the server that the owner had kindly offered to pay for the first round and ask that be reflected on the bill.

On a related issue, when drinks or food get promo'd or otherwise discounted, tip your server as if it hadn't, ie. tip on what the bill would've been, not what it actually was. (Unless, of course the promo or discount was the result of a problem with the server).