Gravensteins at Farm Boy [General]

2012 Oct 11
I know there are a few other East Coast folks here, so I thought I'd share the news. A friend of mine knows how much I've missed these apples since moving to Ottawa in 1997, and last night she spotted them at Farm Boy on Merivale and immediately let me know. ;) Another friend spotted them at Farm Boy on Richmond Road today.

For anyone unfamiliar, these are a fantastic pie apple. They're big, sweet, and have a slightly mealy yellowy flesh. They're an eater/baker, not a keeper, so even in Nova Scotia they are only available for a few months of the year.

2012 Oct 11
Had to share a picture of the Gravs a friend left on my front step for me last year, after having her MIL mule them up from NS. ;)

2012 Oct 12
Before I load my hand basket of the Gravenstiens at Farm Boy on Richmond Rd.

2012 Oct 12
After I load my hand basket with 13.5 pounds of Gravenstiens at Farm Boy on Richmond Rd.

2012 Oct 12
My email to the Gravenstein supplier from Nova Scotia.

"Hi,

Saw the the "Glooscapapples" sticker on the 14 pounds of Gravenstein apples I just bought at a Farm Boy Store , here in Ottawa.

There are many maritimers here that miss this variety of apple.

I have been in Ottawa since 1984 and never have I've seen the Gravenstein sold here. I was once told they do not age/travel well so they are not typically shipped far.

The store I was at was nearly sold out.

Please continue to do business with the Farm Boy chain or the wholesaler that is suppling Farm Boy."

2012 Oct 12
The response from my email to the Gravenstein supplier. (www.glooscapapples.ca)

"That’s great to hear. Please tell all your friends and we will continue to try and keep you supplied. We work hard to ship gravensteins that are good to travel and I think they are just fine till mid-November. Farm Boy is doing a great job supporting us and we appreciate hearing from you.

If you “Like” “Wink Apples” on Facebook I will try and keep everyone updated on any maritime apple varieties heading to Ottawa.

The next one to watch for is our fabulous “Wink” brand Honeycrisp.

Thanks."
Anyone ever try a Honeycrisp apple ? Wonder what they are like ?

en.wikipedia.org

2012 Oct 12
Yes! I love Honeycrisp! Very 'crisp', juicy, sweet, easy to bite into, good size. They are probably my favourite eating apple. The ones I had last year looked very much like the pic refashionista posted above.

2012 Oct 12
You guys can have those mealy old things - this is one Maritimer who definitely does NOT miss them

2012 Oct 12
More for me, Zym, I'm happy not to share with you. I guess you won't mind if I don't share the pie, either, while I'm at it.. ;)

Yes, Honeycrisps look very similar in appearance -- enough so that I've had a few moments of false hope, only to have them dashed when I read the stickers. ;D Honey crisp have a texture more like a Granny Smith and a flavour similar to a Mac, though, whereas a Grav feels a lot different in the mouth and bakes much better (IMO).

2012 Oct 12
While we're talking apples, has anyone seen any Northern Spy or Cox's Orange Pippin here in Ottawa?

2012 Oct 12
Yes, a Gravesteins will go mealy when stored too long and/or not in the right conditions.

And as the Gravenstein farmer from NS says: "We work hard to ship gravensteins that are good to travel and I think they are just fine till mid-November."

I assume not all gravenstein varieties and/or crops are not good to travel (or store).

It's unfortunate that Zym ate gravensteins that were stored too long or not properly. Maybe his missus will change her mind and give hime some fresh gravenstein apple pie.

I've had three since 10am and still could eat more !

As for Northern Spy or Cox's Orange Pippin ... The gravenstein grower also grows Northern Spy or Cox's Orange Pippins. One could ask him through email or Winks Apples facebook page if they ship to Ottawa/Farm Boy.

2012 Oct 12
Bought some Northern Spies at Parkdale market. They had Russets too.

2012 Oct 12
Mmmm....Russets. My personal favourite fall apple. They are also hard to find and are often picked too soon so they are too green and don't have that lovely rusty gold colour. My NS grandfather had his own russet trees which I really miss having access to.

2012 Oct 12
Was it the apple guy at the Parkdale Market? He didn't have Spys when I was there. Yeah, I like russets, but pippins are my favorite "ugly" apple -- the flavour is amazing. PC used to make an orange pippin apple juice a number of years ago. It tasted like childhood. :)

2012 Oct 13
Zym says: "You guys can have those mealy old things - this is one Maritimer who definitely does NOT miss them"

Not even as a baking apple ? ... considering what you said here in Ottawa Foodies over 5 years ago.

ottawafoodies.com

2012 Oct 14
Yeah OK as a baking apple - I guess it's been so long since I've had a gravenstein pie I forgot. refashionista is welcome to refresh my memory any time :-)

2012 Oct 15
Re Northern Spy - I haven't checked this year, but Halls always has them at the Lansdowne Farmers Market (now at Brewer Park). Spys for Pies.

2012 Oct 16
Yeah, I'm not so sure. If someone were to make me a pie to help convince me, it would be appreciated.

2014 Sep 20
They're back !

Gravensteins at Farm Boy.

www.facebook.com

from the wiki entry: en.wikipedia.org

"The Gravenstein apple is still considered the choicest apple by many Nova Scotians."

2014 Sep 20
This Nova Scotian agrees! :)