brining containers [General]

2012 Oct 2
Thanksgiving is this weekend, and I'm planning on smoking the turkey in the bradley (if the timing works out). Smoke or no smoke I want to brine the turkey this year. What is the best/affordable container to brine the bird in? Do you stick it in the fridge - or just add ice to the container?

thanks.

2012 Oct 2
I use a big coleman cooler. I put a bag of ice in the cooler to chill the inside before adding the bird and the liquid. Remove the bag of ice before putting the bird in ;)

2012 Oct 2
i used the ziplock big bags as it will easily fit in the fridge in the bag.

2012 Oct 2
Food grade pail. Covered in my cool garage.

Use a good non-iodine salt.

Pails can be obtained from friends in food industry or I think the one at Home Depot is food grade.

Zym will possibly know where to get food grade pails.

2012 Oct 2
I use a smallish coleman cooler just big enough to hold the bird

Drop the frozen bird in the brine and it will stay at or below fridge temp about 48 hours so no need for a fridge.

2012 Oct 2
Thanks all - I think the cooler wins - as I've got it in the house. Using a frozen bird is a good idea, not sure what I'll do as I have not purchased the bird yet.

2012 Oct 2
The video so nice, I filmed it twice :-) Doing side-by-side camera tests

2012 Oct 2
The only time I brined it it was in a cooler. Too much work lol.

2012 Oct 2
I'd like to know where to get food-grade pails... (I don't own a cooler)

I'm thinking they'd be good for making kimchi--something I've been thinking about attempting for a while now.

Anyone know? I'd rather buy used than new, for enviro/econo reasons.

2012 Oct 2
The white buckets at Home Depot are food grade LDPE. Paint buckets. (19L)

Also homebrew shops but the buckets there are bigger and you may not have fridge space for it. (27L)

Corks Winery on Robertson Rd by the Transitway sells white food grade wine buckets cheap for 2 or 3 buckets. They are buckets the wine kits come in. (19 to 23L)

You can often get ice cream containers too ( 11L )

2012 Oct 2
11L ice cream containers

2012 Oct 2
I wonder if you can also buy the peanut butter pails at say Bulk barns. They might be big enough for the turkey..

2012 Oct 3
Bulk Barn and any other health food store that sells bulk peanut butter and things like that. But, I've always been partial to the coleman cooler too.

Krusty, you can get a ziplock big enough for a turkey?! Wow! These are the things I miss in life by not having a TV and not spending enough time at the store.

2012 Oct 3
Hey OG.....I gave up having a TV in '98...did not thing there were many other converts and saw the bags in Crappy Tire!

2012 Oct 3
If one is only looking to make a small batch of kimchi, they could use an empty Nutella container.

That's after they chow down all 5Kg (11 Lbs.) of the nutritious Nutella.

I think I saw it in Nicastro's for for $89.00 or $99.00.

(Would giving your kids this size of Nutella be considered child abuse ?)

2012 Oct 3
maybe if you know someone who works at a restaurant or you could just ask yourself.....but they usually have a ton, i'm sure they could spare one.

2012 Oct 4
I get mine at Musca, at the bridge on Summerset, just west of Preston. They're about $2-3 plus another dollar for a lid. That's for a 10 liter food grade bucket. I find this to be a good size because you can't fill it enough for it to get too heavy to lift.

2012 Oct 4
Picked up a bucket (23L) from Corks today for $2 - including lid. Very nice guys there. The bucket is just more compacted than my cooler. Thanks everyone for you suggestions.

2012 Oct 6
"Brining my Bird"

www.urbanhippy.ca

2012 Oct 10
For the past few holidays I've been using a big canning pot. If it doesn't fit in my fridge I put it in the garage or back porch with some heavy stuff on top.