Wine clubs [Booze]

2012 Sep 25
I'm looking for a wine-of-the-month-by-mail club subscription type gift for someone close to me-- google hasn't revealed all that much except for one called Savvy whose pricing structure I can't quite figure out at a glance, though it seems that it starts at $60-90 monthly for a package of 3 bottles each month.

I was thinking more along the lines of 1 bottle each month for 12 months, but I really don't know much about this kind of thing. Does anyone here have experience or suggestions with a local wine delivery service or something similar?

2012 Sep 25
butwhoami The only place that comes to mind is Winery to Home. I haven't used their services yet - I found out about them because one of their sales reps was handing out brochures at the women's show last year. They sell Ontario wines only and I think you have to buy their wines a few bottles at a time but the shipping is free. More information is on their website: www.winerytohome.com/

2012 Sep 25
butwhoami- My brother uses Savvy and has really enjoyed it. Nice that they are local I believe.

2012 Sep 25
Not a wine club, but you might like this:

savvycompany.ca

Nom nom nom 13th Street nom nom.

2012 Sep 25
I gave the wine lovers red and white package to my in-laws for Christmas through www.wineofthemonthclub.ca/ It was $39 per month for 1 red and 1 white and you can choose how many months you want. They got it for 4 months and they loved it!

2012 Sep 26
I recently won a gift certificate to Winery to Home (12 reds and 12 whites... yes it was a VERY nice prize). I was quite happy with the selection, quality, and service. In the follow-up, I thought the markup was fair if you are a busy person, or explorative but not quite interested in doing your own research (e.g. me)

Honestly, though, I find the employees in the Vintages section of the LCBO to be knowledgable and fair, and the selection is "good enough" and certainly large enough. If you wanted to try something new once a month, I would suggest going in at a less than busy time and simply ask for a recommendation. It does help if you have a few favourite varietals or regions in mind.

2012 Sep 26
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I checked with Savvy, which looks great.. but they offer at minimum 3 wines monthly for $70-80 which is a bit more than i'm looking for (both in wine + $).

Winery To Home and Wine of the Month seem to be one and the same. They've got 2 wines monthly for $39, which is more my speed .. thanks for mentioning!

hungry hungry hippo - I'm overseas so I need the actual delivery service, unfortunately