Pumpkin Powder Ideas? [General]

2012 Sep 24
Hello everyone!
I just hauled in my first pumpkin of the season and decided to try it out in the dehydrator. First it was seeded and then popped into the oven at 350. The skin removed and then boiled a bit to make it mashable. I plan on dehydrating the meat mushed up tonight and then making it into a powder tomorrow. The seeds were dehydrated for future use (roasted pumpkin seeds!)
I am not a great baker and avoid anything with pastry (cooking it - not eating it). Any ideas on what I can use the powder for? Pumpkin latte comes to mind but I have never really cooked with pumpkin before except boiling like a potato when I lived in the Caribbean.
Would love your input!

2012 Sep 24
TMac....

May I suggest you try Martha's pate brisee recipe with her pumpkin pie recipe? It is really hard to screw up and a great pie to learn on! I am not a fan of Martha but people who do not like pumpkin pie often tell me they like this one....

I have screwed up many a pie pastry but found this recipe to be bullet proof. A great use of them there pumpkins.

K,

2012 Sep 24
Awww thanks Krusty! I absolutely adore pumpkin pie. The only thing I don't like is screwing up the crust! I will give this a try :)

2012 Sep 24
Pie is the only place that pumpkin belongs in. Not coffee, not beer, not your hipsterized pumpkin spice vanilla flu shot.

Well, that's my opinion.

2012 Sep 25
Rizak I can't live without pumpkin soup this time of year. But agree that pumpkin does not belong in a coffee flavored milk shake beverages.

2012 Sep 25
Sounds to me like you could be making pumpkin flour: www.pumpkinnook.com and that can be used in baking/cooking. No experience myself with it. I'd like to know how flavourful you find it. Good luck!

Upon further thinking I might try making some squash flour as I have way too many of them: www.highdesertgarden.com Thanks for the inspiration TMac. I've some more hot peppers to dehydrate but will have couple racks left to try some squash - bet that'll smell good. I had to leave the house one afternoon last week as the drying peppers were making my nasal/throat membranes kinda over-stimulated. Whew!

2012 Sep 25
Pumpkin smoothie - pumpkin, vanilla protein powder, almond milk or milk, a banana, pumpkin pie spices, a few raisins....blend and enjoy.

Pumpkin muffins. Love them!

2012 Sep 25
mmmmm Pumpkin soup

How about pumpkin risotto? you could you use the powder in the rice (not too much) and also add chunks of caramelized pumpkin.

2012 Sep 25
Thank you everyone - and keep them coming!
@ Andy - It's cooking up in the dehydrator now and will most definitely let you know how it turns out. I probably won't use it for a little while and will instead focus on getting as much out of the garden and prep'd for winter as I can.
@ BobbyFillet, Rizak, and Blubarry - I gotta admit that I only had a pumpkin-flavoured drink once. It was a soy latte with pumpkin spice and damn it was good!
@ LoveToEat - Pumpkin Risotto with chunks of caramelized pumpkin sounds divine!

2012 Sep 25
Pumpkin Bread, Pumpkin Scone

2012 Sep 25
Trader Joes sells a pumpkin bread mix so you should be able to make pumpkin bread with dehydrated pumpkin powder.

How about pumpkin pancakes with pumpkin pie spices?

2012 Sep 26
Pumpkin snickerdoodles or cinnamon rolls?

Either put some powder in the dough/batter, or mix it in with the cinnamon sugar mixture (which I think may be more interesting).

2012 Sep 30
Keep 'em coming guys - I think my favourite suggestions are pumpkin pancakes and pumpkin scones - yum yum! Wait... a hint of pumpkin with cinnamon rolls... not sure but I'm liking the sounds of it :)