Coconut Flour/Bread [General]

2012 Sep 13
I've recently been required to adopt a gluten-free lifestyle, and being relatively unfamiliar with a lot that Ottawa has to offer I'm finding it hard to keep variety in my diet. This week in particular I'm dying to find somewhere that sells coconut flour bread, or in the absence of that even somewhere that sells coconut flour and I will consider a new baking challenge.

If anyone can offer any insights on this or other tips for a successful gluten free life in Ottawa I would genuinely appreciate it!

Best,

Katie

2012 Sep 14
Hi Katie,

They sell coconut flour at Bulk Barn, I just bought some the other day.

Also, Farm Boy has an increasing selection of Gluten Free products. They have a line from Organic Works (I think that's the name?).

I have tried their cinnamon raisin bread and their buckwheat bread. I have also tried their banana bread and cinnamon buns.

The good thing is that it's all fresh, not frozen (like at Loblaws).

For some reason this line is not in the regular gluten free section but on a separate shelf.

Blossom Park location - it's in the bakery section
Heron Road location - in front of the meat section

2012 Sep 14
I bought a bag of Bob's Red Mill coconut flour from the Herb and Spice on Wellington. I'd appreciate any ideas for what to do with it!

2012 Sep 14
I got the coconut flour to try some of the recipes from the book "Wheat Belly" that I bought at Costco. It's about going gluten-free.

I haven't tried any yet, but they sound good!

I would recommend the book - it really opens your eyes to what wheat has become in this day and age and how our bodies have given up trying to digest it.