wanted: oak logs [General]

2012 Sep 10
Hi everyone, I need oak logs! It's a bit of a food experiment, I only need a few! Let me know, I can come to pick them up!

2012 Sep 11
Trying to grow mushrooms?

2012 Sep 11
White or red oak? How large?

I may have some for you :)

2012 Sep 11
Rizak - Yes! Mushroom growth experimentation!

Krusty - Red or white oak both work well, allegedly, for mushroom growth. Size, well, something I can transport in my truck. If my experiment goes well, you will receive some of the fruits of my labour.

2012 Sep 11
And if you have poplar, maple or cottonwood logs, that would also be awesome!!!

2012 Sep 11
I have red, white oak and poplar. Maple is hard to come by where I am. Do you want boards or logs? PM me and we can work something out.

2012 Sep 11
I love the OF community! Thanks Krusty!

2012 Sep 11
Our Shiitakes always did best on oak logs with the bark still on. Maple seemed to be a runner up. At least 4" in diameter, and about 4' long. We've been harvesting off the same oak logs for about 6 years now.

2012 Sep 16
Hello - Also looking for oak logs for shitake. If there are any left - or someone has a suggestion to find any - please do let me know! Thank you kindly!

2012 Sep 16
so how do you grow your own shitake and other mushrooms?

2012 Sep 16
Basically you drill a bunch of holes into a log, then plug the holes with plugs inoculated with mushroom spawn. Depending on the type of plug, you seal the drilled holes with wax, then wait. The logs need to be damp and well cared for, not in direct sunlight and kept away from pests or other rotting wood that may have a competing fungus.

2012 Sep 16
So how do you get plugs inoculated with mushroom spawn? Did a search and found some kits for sale. Would that be best for beginners?

2012 Sep 16
Richters has plugs. You can order them online or visit them in Toronto but you should order several weeks in advance since they don't always have them available in the shop.
Chimichimi - did you end up getting logs? If so, where and how did it go?

2012 Sep 16
Should we start a Log Alert thread?

Today I passed two masses of excellent-looking logs from large trees recently cut down.
One was on NCC property so, I gather*, off limits to take away but the other was a large load of maple (and in tidy ~ 1 metre lengths) on Birch Avenue off Hemlock Road. If the home owners are asked and not using it...
To recap: maple on Birch off Hemlock. :)

* recalling the man fined for taking pinecones a couple of years ago.