Beau's Oktoberfest 2012 [Events]

2012 Sep 7
I thought there was already a thread for this but I cannot find it.

I'm looking for some volunteers to help run the "People's Choice" homebrew competition at Oktoberfest. If you do one volunteer shift you get a free pass for the whole Oktoberfest.

Please private message me or email me if you already know my address.

2012 Sep 7
What is involved in being a volunteer to help run the "People's Choice" homebrew competition at Beau's Oktoberfest 2012?

2012 Sep 7
One person will be responsible for making sure anyone who enters the special area signs the list. This is a strict requirement for the LCBO to allow us to serve homebrew.

The rest will be involved in serving beer samples to people and recording results. Each person will get 2 samples and those have to be served in a certain way. I will be pouring the samples. A 2nd person will be required to take them to the table along with the forms required, and give them to the person sampling. Then another person will record results.

It would be handy to have a beer knowledgable person other than me on hand to help with the judging if the person decides to have a go at "real" judging. But I do have a few homebrewer volunteers at this point.

Read this link for full details on how it all works.

docs.google.com

2012 Sep 30
I don't see any review threads for this year's Oktoberfest, so perhaps we can borrow this one.

We went again for the fourth straight year; no kids in tow this time. Oktoberfest delivered as always.

Beer wise, I didn't get to try as many as I would have liked, but I did particularly enjoy the Weiss O'Lantern, and the Oktobock. The Koru was good but the Gose didn't seem as good as I remembered the Opa's Gose from a few years ago. Lots of good selection at the Cask Days but we were disappointed that the Big Rig Cherry Milk Stout has already sold out by about 3 pm. I had been hearing good things about the Bellwoods brewpub in Toronto, and really enjoyed the Roman Bathouse. The Great Lakes Pumpkin and Flying Monkey's Rose Hopped Hibiscus Hoptical Illusion were memorable.

Food-wise the three standouts for me were the Charcoutine (spaetzle poutine with charcuterie) from Murray St., the Rib Tips from the SmoqueShack and the Wellington Gastropub's Kimchi Pork Meatball Sandwich. Also enjoyed Pascale's beer nuts and the hot chocolate is always dessert in a cup. It was cool seeing people walking around gnawing on turkey legs but we were too full to try those as well, but they looked good.

2012 Sep 30
I was there too, helping Zym at the homebrew tent. I was looking forward to kimchi meatball sandwich, but it let me down big time, no spice, and flavours were very bland. The Charcoutine was ok, some of the meat tasted a bit funky, but the spaetzle was good and filling. I had the slow roasted pork with german potato salad and red cabbage for breakfast :) That was from Grill 41, and probably the tastiest. The guys from Domus gave me a red jaelpeno in corn dog batter, tasty and really hot - gave me the burps - my own fault.

I thought the event was really well organized, and the beer was delicious. I'd recommend it to anyone asking.

2012 Oct 1
I had a great time, thought the beer was excellent (for me, particularly the night marzen, bock and the gose) and in my opinion the food was probably an even bigger draw than the beer - everything I tried was excellent, and everything I saw and didn't get a chance to try looked delicious. All around kudos to the organizers and the vendors - it was definitely worth the trip out.

2012 Oct 1
It was an AMAZING event. I was previously only at the first one which I thought was kind of lame, but wow what a difference a few years makes. They have REALLY got it together!

All the beers were excellent, and all the food I tried too

2012 Oct 1