Off-hours experience at Union613 [Food/Vendor]

2012 Jul 27
I had a meeting near there that finished after 4pm. Not sure exactly where this was, only Somerset near to Bank, I got in the car and drove around. Took me 2 circles with 1st as far as chinatown before I spot the UNION sign near O'connor. I wanted a quick bite so dropped 3$ in the parking meters to cover me for 1 hr till 5:30 and free parking.

There was only 1 table occupied, 3 guests were still lingering over pints from lunch. Took me a few minutes to attract someone's attention and apparently they change the hours from last week so they are now only open for lunch to 2:30pm then start dinner at 5:30pm. Since I already committed to parking, I tried to ask if I can have anything like dessert or a cold plate. I was told by someone that seem to be either the manager or one of the owner nothing is available since the kitchen is changing shifts now and that they were fairly full that night so I might not get seat/food even if I try to stay longer.

There are 2 large half hexagonal? banquet tables that looked large and very comfortable with a couple of additional seating each. 3x 2 bar stool/table in the front near the window banquet seating. Bar in the middle with some seating (cannot remember 5 or 6) and 2 long communal and 1 shorter table in the back.

I talked to the server and she said they only opened recently so still working through some things. Sounded like the between hours were fairly slow last week so they decided to close for the 3 hrs. I asked to see both the lunch and dinner menu to see if I want to try and come back another time.

Decided to have a drink anyway. Several wines by the glass (5oz) that is priced mostly at 1/5 of bottle price except for 1 selection that was strangly higher than that formula. They had an interesting draft list but it is not listed anywhere, only verbally - might be nice to have a small blackboard with the draft selection chalked since knifes,etc on taps.

I asked about the blueberry wheat. I had a fantastic one at a beer festival in Boston a few years ago and a pretty decent one in Cape Cod. I was given a small sample but it did not taste really taste of blueberry, just a lighter beer than I normally prefer. Another one that peaked my interest was Wimpole Cider so I ordered that since with the Olympics coming up, I was feeling a bit nastalgic about living in London many moons ago.

I was looking over the menu and saw several things they could have easily served between times like soup that is on both lunch and dinner menu (so should be quick to heat up or still hot), devil eggs, charcuterie plate or one of the dessert that look like it should be done already just need to be plated.

The cider I ordered came in a mason jar type glass, probably around 8 or 10 ozs, that is slightly larger than the mason jar they use for water. The cider was okay but not very exciting.

Saw the pimms on the menu and you don't often see Pimms in Ottawa so asked if I can get a Pimms cup with cucumber and fruit. The server from lunch did not know how to make one but one of the server for dinner shift said she knows how so I ordered one. I think knittybynature's well made Pimm's cup is made by the bartender (who is not there or he might be the one bringing in the 2nd hand glasses/punch bowl he bought) since the one making mine asked if she should be topping up the glass with soda. The pimms cup in mason jar glass was half filled with ice and only 1 slice of cucumber and 1 slice of lime and she must have topped it up with soda water rather than lemon-lime soda since it tasted watery and very weak. Even after asking for a couple more slices of fruit and fishing out half the ice into that mini mason jar glass that the beer sample came in, I was not thrilled about Pimms Cup so it was a bit of a bust.

Asked for bill - Cider $7, pimms cup $9. With tax just over $18 so I rounded up to $20 since not great visit, tad disorganized. Will likely try again but only during meal time

2012 Aug 3
Oh FoodTravel, that sucks and I'm sorry your experience wasn't top notch! The bartender (who is an amazing woman that REALLY knows her drinks) makes quite honestly the best Pimm's cup I've had outside England. Hope you give the place another go during a more popular time - with the full team on deck, you will not be let down. And in a couple of months, my guess is that every staff member in there will be fully able to replicate all of the delicious drinks.

2012 Aug 24
Knittingbynature,

Sorry missed this post for a bit.

The 2 people that served me and made my drinks were the servers, not the bartender.

The first poured me the cider and was upfront saying she did not know how to make a pimms cup but that the 2nd one did. If the 2nd was not sure, should have just said so and I would have ordered something else, maybe a mint julup or a mojito. Also if they have a bit of off hours where the bartender is not being staffed, maybe they can invest in drinks book.

I would not have any issue if someone not familiar with it had to look it up, versus for them to say they knew how to make it and did not.

I honestly will give them a miss for a bit until they work out the kinks and get their staff trained up or more familiar. Might try them later maybe in the fall. I had a bit of the impression that they were still working out quite a few kinks and people are still not familiar with some of the stuff.

2012 Aug 24
Also, I know I was there at 4:30 and they just changed from opening all day to closed between lunch and dinner so they said they were not serving food.

But they can easily accomodate with some cold stuff like the chaucuteries plate or devilled eggs or desert or just some of the late night menu for the in between hours that does not need to be cooked, just plated.

2012 Aug 25
FoodTravel -- I don't think that you necessarily should wait for autumn to return and try Union again. You should just aim to try them when they are actually open.

If I read your comments correctly, you are evaluating service, drinks (and sorta food?) from when an establishment was closed and preparing for service, not when they were open and ready to serve.

You would probably have better luck going during opening hours, and it would be a fair assessment of service and product. My $0.02.

2012 Aug 25
Hmmm... not sure how I missed the original post RedRum is referring to...

FoodTravel, I'm not picking on you but I do think your posts about Union are unreasonable. Previous posts make it clear that the rest of us have been enjoying mouthwatering, kink-free meals, drinks and service at Union, and all of us seem to have visited when the kitchen and bar were actually open for business.

Keep in mind that I'm completely biased -- I can't seem to go a week without eating here -- but as cardamom mentioned, we're having a Union moment so I feel the need to respond to the comments you made about your one visit.

"Took me a few minutes to attract someone's attention and apparently they change the hours from last week so they are now only open for lunch to 2:30pm then start dinner at 5:30pm."

By your own statement, they were not open.

"Since I already committed to parking, I tried to ask if I can have anything like dessert or a cold plate."

The logical answer would be 'no' as they were not open.

"Decided to have a drink anyway..."

But they were not open! In spite of this, they tried to be accommodating and let you stay for a drink!

"I was looking over the menu and saw several things they could have easily served between times like soup that is on both lunch and dinner menu (so should be quick to heat up or still hot), devil eggs, charcuterie plate or one of the dessert that look like it should be done already just need to be plated."

I repeat, they were not open! Please keep in mind that this is a business, not your mom's kitchen. Perhaps someone from the restaurant business can chime in, but when the kitchen is closed for service I take it for granted they mean closed for service full stop, not closed for hot food but secretly open for anyone wanting just a slice of salami or a sweetie. Was there something in the fridge or a pot on the stove when you visited? Damn skippy there was, but they were not offering it to you as they were not open!

"...I was not thrilled about Pimms Cup so it was a bit of a bust."

Sigh. They were not open. When they are open, they currently have the best bar in Ottawa, end of story. All juices are made from scratch, they use premium liquor in their cocktails and they make their own colas and agua frescas. When they are open, they have excellent, knowledgeable bar staff who can mix you a kickass Pimms Cup in their sleep. Please note that when you visited, they were not open so the bar staff was not there.

"...not great visit, tad disorganized. Will likely try again but only during meal time..."

So if I understand you correctly, you're weren't happy with the service you got when a restuarant was closed. At this point all I can say is 'WTF?'

'Meal time' is when restaurants are open and serving food; the rest of the times they are closed for service to the public. I honestly do not see how there is a gray area here.

2012 Aug 25
Hiya -- on my way to Town last night for dinner, I made sure to walk past Union 613 to see what it looked like (it's on my short list for next dinner out), and maybe get a drink before my 8:30 reservation at Town. The outside patio was empty...of everything. No tables or anything -- the place didn't even look open! At 8:00 on a Friday night when all the other restaurants around them were jumping. In fact, it looked like workers were doing construction or some such thing.

Union 613 regulars, what's the deal? Are they on hiatus, moving? Because I'm very pumped to try the place.

2012 Aug 25
Union 613 doesn't have patio service, that would be why the patio was empty.

To add to Joanna comments - restaurants close in between service so that the cooks can catch their breathe, have something to eat and prep for dinner service. The only people that were most likely in the kitchen at that time were the prep cooks, ie the guys that prep the ingredients for the chef to cook.

If they did offer some sort of cold pate service in between lunch and dinner, it wouldn't be long before someone was complaining here that they went to Union at 4:00 for dinner and all they had was deviled eggs and boiled peanuts. :P lose/lose

I encourage you to give Union another shot, make a reservation and experience the warmth and good food that some of us have enjoyed.

2012 Aug 26
Johanna, thanks for saying exactly what I would have, had I been on here earlier. People, listen to this woman. When a restaurant is closed, it is CLOSED. I don't understand why anyone would persist in trying anything at a closed restaurant and then write a review based on said experience.

If I am walking home and decide I would like a cup of coffee but Bridgehead has just closed up, I don't knock on the window just because clerks are there. They have other things to do - namely clean up and go home. If I walk in just before close, while they are trying to indicate to customers to go home (desperately - people do not leave coffee shops easily), I would not expect a) the full menu of coffee/salad/muffin options to be available, nor b) the freshest coffee. And I would certainly not base my judgement of Bridgehead (or insert your local coffee shop here) as a business on that experience. Seriously, the world does not revolve around your needs as a restaurant patron.

2012 Aug 27
What I observed when walking by on Friday night was the fence being installed in what I assume will be Union's new patio.

2012 Aug 27
Not taking sides - haven't been there yet - but a restaurant can say it's closed all it wants... if a customer walks in and the staff agree to serve the customer, they aren't closed. Maybe they're just being nice and doing a favour or whatever, but the fact remains a service and product is being delivered in exchange for $.

Disagree based on other experiences by all means, but FT's comments aren't attack-worthy because the restaurant was 'closed-lite'.

2012 Aug 27
@OSoloMeal: Attack-worthy? You sure you're not just getting hungry looking at pics of a catfish po'boy 2 hours before lunch? ;o)

FF will have to make the final call but I don't see any attacks going on here, just a few of us chiming in to say that closed means closed means closed in the restaurant business.

FWIW it was the OP that deemed the restaurant to be 'closed-lite' not the restaurant itself. And agreed that the best course of action would have been to simply show OP the door... however this establishment is far too friendly and genteel for that kind of customer relations. You know, southern hospitality and all that ;o)

2012 Aug 27
thumbs down johanna. I agree with your opinion about giving a fair review to a restaurant but was a long tangent and rant necessary? no need to be all high and mighty...

For some reason I see these kind of snarky/smart-alicky posts on ottawafoodies quite often, which is one of the reasons I stopped visiting for over a year. Let's be nice, people.

p.s. We already have a forum moderator so let him do his job.

2012 Aug 27
Actually Johanna i'm using the term 'attack' loosely, tho your food pics are attack worthy in the context that drool does bad things to my monitor.

We don't need to drag this out and go hideously offtopic from the restaurant, but to clarify my thinky, no one can 'demand' food and service. U613 decided to serve him despite the change of hours, and so closed did not mean 'closed' and customers are entitled to form an opinion on what followed, right or wrong.

2012 Aug 27
I'm actually a little stunned by some of the arguing going on here.

Please remember that when Union 613 first opened, it was presented as open from 11:30-2am -- straight through with no breaks to change services. FoodTravel sought out the restaurant on that basis, only to learn that they had changed to a different model shortly after their initial opening.

That being the case, I don't think asking if the kitchen can handle some light bites is unreasonable, nor was it unreasonable for the restaurant to say no. However, in agreeing to serve drinks, things change. The "they are closed" line no longer works. A restaurant is closed when they don't offer service. By offering service, they are now open. I might also parenthetically add that the Liquor Licence Act requires them to have food available while serving booze, but I think we all know how strictly that's enforced.

In any event, the sum of the reviews overall presents a very positive experience at the restaurant. FoodTravel's initial negative review is presented in full context, and a wholesale pileon by some of the fans is unnecessary.

While I can certainly appreciate that people want to defend a restaurant that they are particularly fond of, just let the food and service speak for itself. I think there have been more than enough reviews to that effect.

2012 Aug 27
"thumbs down johanna. I agree with your opinion about giving a fair review to a restaurant but was a long tangent and rant necessary? no need to be all high and mighty..."

@shagme: I apologize if you feel my post went overboard but I think it's a case where we should agree to disagree. IMO it is high and mighty to show up at a restaurant that is closed (without getting into the definition with OSM and others), expect that it is no big deal to get product and service, and then sign on to a public forum and review said product and service as being subpar.

Here's the thinking behind my 'rant': it's pretty easy to sit at a laptop and throw virtual stones, but it takes courage, imagination and capital to bring new ideas and new concepts into a city such as Ottawa. Businesses such as Union contribute to our cultural vibe as well as the economic fabric of the city and deserve as much encouragement as they can get. I'm all for a critical review and have no hesitation in writing one myself, but only if it is constructive and rooted with feedback that an establishment can address. IMO the OP did not come anywhere close to this.

"For some reason I see these kind of snarky/smart-alicky posts on ottawafoodies quite often, which is one of the reasons I stopped visiting for over a year. Let's be nice, people."

@shagme: again, in all seriousness, my apologies if my post was of the sort that has driven you away from this site. Then again... if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen? (JOKING! JOKING! JOKING! I'M JOKING!!!!)

(Thumbs down, thumbs down, thumbs down... I get the drift...!)

2012 Aug 27
Sorry Johanna, the only high and mighty I see here is you. The poster in question showed up at a restaurant that had advertised as being open all day, and when arriving to find that had changed, asked if some accommodation could be made. There is nothing high and mighty about that.

2012 Aug 27
I called the opening week and they told me they are open from 11:30 to 02:00 am without break but I did not have time that week.

I drove past that day and saw a table full of people at the window. Thus I paid for parking to go in to eat on the assumption from the knowledge from previous week that they are open all day.

Apparently they changed the times and kitchen closes between 2:30 and 5:30 pm starting that week but they were still serving drinks. The table from the window was lingering from lunch and still drinking. So they are not completely closed and a tad unclear on what they mean by the fact the kitchen is closed initially since the kitchen was full of people. But they were preping for dinner only.

I asked if there might be room at 5:30pm for food and they said they were not sure since they were pretty full that night. I was told that I can have drinks but they may need the space later when dinner start at 5:30pm. But later around 5:15pm someone that seem to be known to management walked in and they were told if they want to come in later for dinner they can be accomodated (i.e. they did not have a reservation but can get space). That kind of pissed me off a little to be honest.

That in addition to a poorly mixed drink when they failed to tell me what the wait staff is capable of doing in specifics due to bartender not in in the new off hours, gave me a feeling they are either disorganized and/or playing favouritism.

To be honest Union 613 is not near any of my normal places I go for other stuff (computer servicing, meetings, etc) so I would need to make a specific trip to go there for a meal. I was by chance about 3 blocks away from there for a meeting that time so was going to try it on the spur of the meeting after some good reviews.

Thus my comment I might give then a try September or later since I think I prefer to wait until they work out their issues. Also there are lots of restaurants that I like and I am more then happy to spend my money at those that are up and running smoothly and make all customers feel welcome.

2012 Aug 27
They even told the table that was having lunch there and lingering that they may need to move at 5:30pm since the table is reserved for dinner.

I ask about the possibility of food at 5:30pm and was told they were not sure if they had space. But they were able to tell someone else without a reservation later that they can be accomodated. Thus I think my comment they are disorganized is fair.

Also one of waitress that came in later for dinner shift around 5pm recognized me from Murray Street Kitchen where I had been a few times, including mothers day brunch with the whole family. She was also telling me that things are changing a bit from first week to second week i.e. closing, shifts, etc. and that they are still learning the new setup.

To be honest, I left there after the drinks to go to a different restaurant for dinner and had a perfectly nice dinner and drinks at the other restaurant.

2012 Aug 28
A completely neutral perspective as I haven't eaten at or been to this place yet.

Having 8+ years in the Ottawa food industry (including time at 2 restaurants that are regularly in the top 10 lists for the city as well as hotels, chains, and fast food), I would have to agree with Johanna in regards to the whole "closed is closed" thing. But also have to agree with OSolo that if they let him in, they should provide the highest level of service possible.

That said, I find FoodTravel's review unfair as I would never review ANY business that wasn't prepared for customers. Especially if I was fully aware that I was causing an inconvenience for the staff by arriving at a closed time, despite any impressions I may have had to the contrary.
Basically, I'm saying it's not very nice to have someone accommodate you even though they didn't have to, then review them as if it were a normal service.

The main point of closing between services is to prevent new customers coming in and throwing the entire evening service off. It's not just because it's slow and they're losing money; the staff are there regardless. It's because having one or two patrons come in late can mess with reservations, food prep and portions, and prevents staff from being able to perform basic tasks that are kept hidden from the public (cleaning walls and floors, scraping gum, changing garbages, receiving/placing orders, cashing out from lunch. Did you know that inside of Booths often doubles as dry storage for anything from paperwork to bottles of wine?)

Honestly, what's the point of closing at all if you're just going to give custom service to anyone who asks anyway?

Any of the restaurants I've worked in would have refused entry to someone coming between hours. My impression is that someone let FoodTravel in because they were either new or feeling guilty about the recent change in hours. I get the feeling they won't make that mistake again.

2012 Aug 28
Hey Gang,

I would normally never weigh in on a conversation such as this but I feel compelled to put the subject to rest. I feel that the criticisms levelled here are all very fair. Customer service is something I have prided myself on over my brief 12 year career in the Ottawa area working at some terrific joints. The most important part of the dialogue is that we are new and no matter how many times (3 to be exact) I have opened new places there are always hiccups. I implore you to come and give us a try again and when you do so please contact me via email info@union.ca and reference your experience as I would personally like to greet you and provide the level of service you expect and rightly demand. Thank you everyone for the discussion as overall I thought it was spirited and fun...

Eat, drink and _______

Ivan
Union: Local 613

2012 Aug 28
Thanks for weighing in Ivan - I've enjoyed two great meals at Union 613 and I look forward to many more.

Which reminds me, I need to make a reservation for this weekend.

2012 Aug 28
Hi Ivan,

Thank you for the comment and response. It is nice to know restaurateur who really care about customer service. Steve Beckta and Terry had responded before on ottawafoodies when there were issues.

I figured it being 2nd week of opening when I visited, there were some issues due to changing conditions and the team still trying to establish some routines. I think Union 613 would be best enjoyed when it is full and buzzing with a full team running smoothly.

It would be good to have a place to go in Ottawa for some of the southern favourites that I typically only get when I go to New Orleans.

I did say on a previous post that I would try again later, likely late Sept by the look of things since things are busy and I may have some yet to be scheduled travel in the next few of weeks. I have a couple of dinners planned but the choice of restaurants were given to the ones having the birthdays.

p.s. Several people referred to me as he, sorry wrong guess lol