chocolate pudding recipe? [Recipes]

2012 Aug 28
I'm looking for a good make-it-from-scratch chocolate pudding recipe. Preferably a pudding that sets so it's nice and thick.

I do have a simple recipe that I use, but maybe my method is inconsistent as it doesn't always thicken up the way I'd like. Ingredients are milk, cocoa, sugar, cornstarch.

Any suggestions? As to recipes or techniques?

2012 Aug 28
I'd suggest trying real chocolate in place of cocoa, that might thicken it up. I always just use the smitten kitchen recipe.
smittenkitchen.com

Silky Chocolate Pudding
Adapted from John Scharffenberger, via Wednesday Chef

Serves 6

1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 cups whole milk
6 ounces 62% semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (I used good quality semisweet chocolate chips; use 70% bittersweet if you want more of a dark chocolate kick)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1. Combine the cornstarch, sugar and salt in the top of a double boiler. Slowly whisk in the milk, scraping the bottom and sides with a heatproof spatula to incorporate the dry ingredients. Place over gently simmering water and stir occasionally, scraping the bottom and sides. Use a whisk as necessary should lumps begin to form. After 15 to 20 minutes, when the mixture begins to thicken and coats the back of the spoon, add the chocolate. Continue stirring for about 2 to 4 minutes, or until the pudding is smooth and thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.

2. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer (or skip this step if you’re a slacker like me who is absolutely certain that there is nary a lump her puddin’) into a serving bowl or into a large measuring cup with a spout and pour into individual serving dishes.

3. If you like pudding skin, pull plastic wrap over the top of the serving dish(es) before refrigerating. If you dislike pudding skin, place plastic wrap on top of the pudding and smooth it gently against the surface before refrigerating. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 3 days (ahem, good luck with that).

2012 Aug 28
Excellent recipe.
Now how do i arrange for someone to make me an industrial size vat of this?

2012 Aug 28
HFF's recipe is awesome.

Variations -

If you want it obscenely rich, swap out some of the milk for cream
If you want a dairy-free or vegan version, use full fat coconut milk, and use a few tbsp less of cornstarch (as the fats in the coconut milk aid in thickening)

2012 Aug 28
Oooo! good idea, can't believe I've never thought to use chocolate chips instead of cocoa. I've got some nice 71% chips too. And straining the pudding? I had to read that twice to believe it! I'd never strain mine either, HFF!

Step three has me wondering (like I do every time I make pudding or scald milk for a recipe) why does it form a skin? What magical thingy goes on with the milk to make it have skin? I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I like pudding skin. Sounds creepy I think... "pudding skin" ;-) But the skin is great for chocolate cream pies.

Tina I'll be using milk from my Dexter and Jersey cows, their fat on average tests as about 5.8% fat, think I'll just use their whole milk. ;-) However, if I need a dairy free desert for my brother-in-law with the anaphylactic allergy to milk, I'll be sure to use the coconut milk like you suggest! Sounds yummy!

2012 Aug 28
Regarding pudding skin: Was just discussing pudding and creamy soup skins with a friend last week (!). A long road trip and such topics just happen, you understand. :)

"...milk is made up of several different elements including water, proteins, and fat. When milk is heated, the water the starts to evaporate and the other elements become increasingly concentrated. The proteins - casein and whey - also have a tendency to coagulate once the milk reaches a temperature of about 150°.

Both the evaporation of water and the coagulation of the proteins work together to form a skin on the surface of cooked milk dishes like creamy soups, puddings, and even a mug of hot chocolate. The thickness and chewiness of the skin is affected by how hot the milk is heated (resulting in more evaporation and coagulation) and the fat content in the milk (which encourages coagulation). "

From here: www.thekitchn.com

2012 Aug 28
(&#@$^(@#&!!!!

I just went to make this for a picnic tomorrow, only to realize I'm OUT OF CORN STARCH!! And not a speck of flour in the house either. :-(

Double #%@#$&!

Ok, my anger has subsided...

I have unlimited amounts of fresh eggs, milk, cream, as well as a bunch of sugar and 71% chocolate chips. No starch of any kind left, (ONFC order doesn't arrive until Thursday), and running to the store is a 50km out of the question option.

Any ideas for something I can whip together for a dessert to serve 5 adults and 5 kids at a picnic tomorrow?

Oh, and thanks for the explanation on pudding skin. ;-)

2012 Aug 28
Hey Organicgirl,

How about chocolate Mousse?

www.epicurious.com

2012 Aug 28
OG - any tapioca powder or even the pearls- Blitz it in the food processor/spice mill til a fine powder. 1 tablespoon to 1 cup liquid

you could use eggs to thicken, temper the eggs like you would for butter tarts.

Rice? Short grain rice - you could make a chocolate rice pudding

Arrowroot?

2012 Aug 28
fudge!
I've seen recipes that use cream & sugar instead of condensed milk.

2012 Aug 28
Flourless chocolate cake:

www.epicurious.com

2012 Aug 29
Thank you for the suggestions!

I did think of chocolate rice pudding, but I'm down to my last smidgen of rice. And not a speck of anything else starch-like in the house except coarse corn meal until the ONFC order arrives on Thursday.

So, I went with the chocolate mousse. It filled ten 125ml mason jars. Perfect amount for our picnic today. it's chilling in the fridge, and it's YUMMY!

Will try the flourless chocolate cake too, And fudge that doesn't need condensed milk sounds great! I can make my own condensed milk (just can't justify buying it when I have milking cows), but it's time consuming to make it.

2012 Aug 30
Great OG.. Love chocolate mousse after my 2 years in France, espeically made with 70% or higher dark chocolate.