Restaurant in development [Food/Vendor]

2012 Aug 25
After a long career in radio in Saskatchewan I moved to Ottawa last year. After a year being unencombered by work, I have finally focussed my ADD brain on life's next adventure... opening a restaurant.

The Flying Banzini will be opening in Ottawa in 2013.

I am currently in the development stage (working with consultants from Toronto). If you want to follow along and help with any advice, I blog daily at flyingbanzini.blogspot.ca

You can comment there or, if you prefer to move any conversations to this forum, I am very happy to have the conversations here, too. I am reticent to initiate conversations here without the blessing of this community as that last thing I want to do is fill this -- or any forum - with spam and self-promotion. I would love your help. I would hate to offend.

Dave

2012 Aug 26
Thanks for sharing, some very interesting reading. Good luck!!

What's the story behind the name?

2012 Aug 26
The name is choosen to suggest that the restaurant has an Italian inspired menu and that it will include a sense of irreverant fun.

Some research on names led me to it as it is purely fictional. "Bonzini" makes Foosball tables. "Branzini" is an Italian sea bass. And, well, Wallenda was taken.

2012 Aug 27
You got me at gluten-free. I guaranteed customer here. :)

2012 Aug 27
@FlyingB - your 'tips' post is interesting. I've always thought that 'counter order food deliver' approach leads to less tips.

The disconnect with the customer happens at the 'ordering' side. When the customer orders at the counter, then sits, the waitstaff stops being an active part of the meal and becomes a faceless drone delivering food. Hence, less tips.

I know and you know the customer is supposed to be tipping the entire experience, but the reality doesn't line up with the theory.

So if you're looking for incentive for great staff, i suspect that set-up means you would have to make up the lost tips another way, in which case your profit-sharing model might work and any tips are shared as well.

Otoh, if your front staff are just dropping off plates, why do you need a higher caliber of server at all as opposed to the basic hand-eye coordination to deliver plates and the ability to smile under pressure?

2012 Aug 27
Gluten free -- My neighbour has just taught me a lot about gluten free. I am not sure that we will be able to offer "true gluten free." What I learned is that it's not good enough to simply offer gluten free bread and pizza crust options, I must also ensure that there is NO contact possible with gluten -- I must use a different press, etc. This might not be posssible as The Flying Banzini is not big but it's high on my list of things to understand. Question: Is it enough for you to have gluten free bread, even though the sandwich is made on the same counter that perviously held regular ciabatta? How many of the gluten free crowd are full on celiacs and how many (like my wife) avoid it but it's not life and death?

Tips -- My background is not as a cook, it's as a "personality" (hate that word). Thus, a lot of my thinking about The Flying Banzini has to do with the experience. I think I am going to need a pretty awesome staff who get what I am trying to do. Starting to look like I may pay a small premium but it's a tough go in the restaurant business because the margins are small.

2012 Aug 27
I don't have Celiac but I have a gluten intolerance and so far, I haven't had any issues with cross contamination.

I order gluten-free pizza from Pizza Pizza (it's pretty good!) and I assume (but I could be wrong) that they don't have a dedicated gluten-free counter in all their locations. They must use the same counter, pizza pans etc.

In my situation, as long as what I am eating is basically gluten-free, I seem to be fine.

Hope that helps!

2012 Aug 27
I couldn't find out where this new restaurant will be? Have you found a location yet? Would love another downtown lunch option.

2012 Aug 27
Toronto consultants? Pffft, what do THEY know about Ottawa? A few recommendations:
1) Never use single ply. Know what I mean? Of course you do.
2) Crayons and butcher paper for tablecloths is the new 'in' thing.
3) Consider a name change to Barrhaven 176, The Vanier Gastrobug, or maybe Taconot.
4) Get servers with waxed mustachios, equal opportunity rules the day.
5) Consider chaining iPads to each table, featuring photos of each plate and sound snippits of what each dish sounds like. No descriptions necessary.
6) Serve pasta, but call it a taco. We don't know any better.
7) For God's sake, implement and enforce a dress code - all acid wash, all the time.

Welcome to Ottawa! Good luck!

2012 Aug 27
My wife has celiac, if you advertise gluten free - do it right. Cross contamination is the same thing as "not gluten free". Advertise as gluten light, or somewhat gluten free, gluten reduced ...

2012 Aug 27
Location -- this is not yet determined. I am leaning towards Westboro/Hintonberg but have not committed myself to a neighbourhood in particular. The approximate agenda is to get the concept and the menu where I want it to be and only then decide where it shoudl be.

Single ply? My lovely wife who is my main consultant is VERY concerned that the washrooms be done right. Rest assured that they will be as opulent as we can afford.

Butcher paper? I can't write upside down so it seems unlikely.

What's a taco? What's pasta? Remember, I moved from Saskatchewan. We pretty much fry, grill, or roast meat.

Oooohhhhh... acid wash aprons for the staff. I LIKE it. The staff will hate it. But, I LIKE it.

Celiac -- Sourdough, I now very much understand this issue. If the menu said, "Gluten Free Bread" would that be adequate to communicate the truth. Namely, that although the bread was gluten free when it came into my store, it may now be cross contaminated? Should I do this and educate my staff or simply avoid it by not offering gluten free?

2012 Aug 28
If you say gluten free - you should not cross contaminate. Separate cutting board, clean knife. Anything that touches bread crumbs/wheat is contaminated until washed. We go through a lot of knives in our house :} We are lucky as my wife's reactions to wheat are not that severe, however her sister would be doubled over in pain. Both are diagnosed celiac (it often is passed on to females in the family). My suggestion is if you can't figure out a way to keep things 100% gluten free, then don't bother.

If you were doing pizza, a gluten free crust in a clean pan would work, however if the cooks are putting on toppings they should either wash their hands or where gloves after handling dough. Don't cut pizza on the same surface or with an unclean (common) utensil.

Maybe others don't do this but they should. Word gets around when people get sick at a restaurant because of food allergies/intolerance.

2012 Aug 28
One suggestion for you - have one or two carb-free dishes on the menu that are a little more interesting than a garden salad. Lots of people these days use zero or low carb diet plans, and the availability of good zero carb options has influenced our choice of restaurant many times in the past.

2012 Aug 29
Along the same lines at Johnny English, a couple vegetarian options other than a grilled vegetable feta sandwich would be nice. Maybe even one vegan option.

2012 Aug 30
In radio, making a playlist that made as many people as happy as possible while simultaneously not irritating others is the most critical and yet impossible task.

I am starting to see menu design the same way...

2012 Aug 30
Not that my opinion matters, but I'd leave the "something for everyone" menus to the chains and carve out a culinary niche for your restaurant. Give people a reason to visit. The 20% of society that truly loves your offerings will give you more business than you would see by offering food that 100% of society finds not irritating. You don't want to be competing with chains anyway... they have the boring food market cornered. :-)

2012 Aug 30
I didn't want to be contrarian, but I agree wholeheartedly with FreshFoodie. Nothing bores me more than 90% of the menus in Ottawa. I know it's hard to be different in a medium sized city and customers tend to want what they know, but too many places suffer from the disease of mediocrity.

Forget trends - we've seen too many second rate tacos, high-end burgers, tapas, BBQ, etc. Good food doesn't go in and out of style.

From a certain viewpoint, Ottawa is an inspiring place, because so much hasn't happened yet. Figure out what you know how to do really, really well and focus on execution.

With respect to Italian food specifically, I'd focus on classics that make sense from a perspective of what ingredients this region produces well. Floretine-style tripe won't go over, but I can only imagine the possibilities of well-done oxtail ragu on polenta, porchetta sandwiches, proper bolognese, puttanescas and carboneras, grilled sardines, stuffed eggplants, 'nduja on fresh bread, proscuitto crudo with good mozza and antipastos, etc, etc, etc....

2012 Aug 30
OMG yes, what Tracinho said. Ottawa's Italian restaurant scene makes me want to weep. The best Italian food here is found outside of Italian restaurants, and that says it all.

2012 Aug 30
Relatedly and by general example, when i walk into a shawarma place and see they do pizza and wings, i turn around and walk back out on the basis that by trying to do everything well enough, they do nothing particularly well.

There are exceptions to this, but as a general rule i'm put off by menus that try include everything. Pick something, do it well, hell, do it awesome, and i will return.

2012 Aug 30
Yes, yes and thrice yes. Chinese restaurants with entire sections of the menu dedicated to Thai and Vietnamese dishes are particular culprits in my world. I didn't go out for Asia Generica.

2012 Aug 30
oH TOTALLY THAT! Why does almost every supposedly Vietnamese restau in the downtown now plaster 'THAI' on their sign? Did no one learn from McPizza? :)

Tho i freely admit House of Greek, who are my current fave Greek takeaway in the city, also do pizza (have not tried), but i think of them as one of the exceptions and hey, they also do awesome Afghani food so what the hell do i know... i suppose the underlying message is do one thing awesome, focus on that, and whatever else is on your menu by perceived necessity can stay or go based on sales.

2012 Aug 30
All very encouraging. I am planning a VERY small menu based upon three well exectured specialties.

And, I am careful to use the word "Italian Inspired" since I will not pretend to be genuine.

Whoever said "Porchetta Sandwiches" (Tracinho), I hope I will not dissappoint. I am working on my porchetta recipe again tomorrow night.

2012 Aug 30
If you need feedback on your porchetta recipe, I would be happy to help. ;)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a location in the Tunneys Pasture/Hintonburg area

2012 Aug 30
I drove and walked along Preston this evening. And then did the same in the Westboro/Hintonburg area. My instinct is that Hintonburg and Westboro are more vibrant.

More walkers.

And, more shopping.

2012 Aug 30
Try repeating the exercise at 11pm on a Friday or Saturday night and see the difference.

2012 Aug 31
Important... various times of day and various weathers.

Does Little Italy rock a bar and patio crowd?

2012 Aug 31
Heart & Crown & Pub Italia patios are packed when the weather is nice. Lunch hour on Preston is busy, Italian week on Preston is very busy, but there are a lot of restaurants and competition for crowds. There are restaurants for lease and sale on the strip right now, check the commercial listings.

Hintonburg is the latest place to be, but people are very particular with new restaurants and very vocal. Places are praised and dissed online extensively. It is a pretty tight community area.

Your restaurant seems to have the gimmick thing going for it - fake ids & trivia cards. Not sure if the hipster areas are your best market. It sounds more touristy. That is just me though. I go for quality of food over gimmick.

2012 Aug 31
Hintonburg, Wellington and Westboro all have good restaurants with more coming, certainly of a standard to match or exceed that of Little Italy. The difference for me is that the restaurant and bar scene on Preston goes on much later; you can sit down to eat much later without having the staff stacking chairs around you, and you can go for drinks after a meal with lots still going on well into the early hours. I guess that's largely a function of the fact that Westboro/Wellington is a much more family-oriented area.

I'm not saying that one's better than the other, just that they're quite different scenes and I'd recommend you spend more time in both at different times of day, night and week to get a good feel for clientele. My guess is that daytime traffic would be much stronger for Wellington/Westboro, but if you want a more boisterous crowd later into the evening you'd be better served on Preston. Personally I think Preston could well do with a couple of more hip places, there are some cracking restaurants along there but apart from the Moon Room there's nowhere I'd really describe as being "hip".

2012 Aug 31
Sparks Street desperately needs/fun all the new places it can get but it's strictly a weekday lunch and 5-7 crowd.

2012 Aug 31
Some observations of downtown:

Chinatown is one of the busiest resto areas in city post 10pm - even Monday-Wednesday.

There are really no places to have a drink between Bank and Rochester, save a few karaoke-type/coffee/bubble tea joints. Raw Sugar might have taps, I forget.

There are, perplexingly, no destination restos or bars in the Glebe. Correct me if I am wrong on this.

Other than the Murray St. establishments, Play, Smoque, Corazon, Ahora, most establishments in the Byward are better-suited for crowd/drinks than food - I'm unfairly over-generalizing a bit here I know.

2012 Aug 31
This group has been VERY, very helpful. Much thanks. You're awesome.

A few thoughts...

hipfunky, I am very worried about being "gimmicky." I spend a lot of time thinking about the experience. I hope I will manage "whimsical, fun, and stimulating" while avoiding "cheesy, gimmicky, and silly." It is a terribly fine line to walk and I worry about this constantly. Unequivocally, though, the food matter above all else.

Johnny English... good advice. More reason to go with my first instinct in Westboro/Hintonburg. I see my customers as a fast, casual lunch/supper crowd. With an evening crowd who might enjoy a gelato with a glass of chianti. I am not keen to get involved in the bas scene. I don't think I have the energy for it.

OSoloMeal... Sparks street is a really interesting idea. I had not really considered it but will look at it. The missing part, for me, seems to be the evening gelato crowd as there isn't much residential there is there?

Tracinho... I have considered the Glebe. I worry about a lack of lunch crowd. And, as much as I would love to imagine that I am "destination" I probably am not. 40 seats. Fast casual service. I have to depend on neighbourhood, I think. I am avoiding Byward because it just seems to manic to me.

2012 Aug 31
I can't speak to Sparks street evening crowd beyond speculating that it's limitted to the odd late night worker and tourists walking back to their hotels from the market. I imagine that crowd would be into late nght gelato, but the numbers might not be high enough. I suspect that the daytime crowd would be good, and after work as wel, but evenings and weekends not so much (Sparks street needs work, but that's a pet peeve and a separate topic).

Somewhere down Bank street but not past Somerset might open up the residential market and still draw the downtown worker crowd.

Looking at comparitors, Stella Gelato in Old Ottawa South seems to have assembled a nice level of busy based on sandwiches and gelato, which suggests a similar establishment in the Glebe might work.

2012 Aug 31
I live downtown (and work on Sparks!) and I can tell you Sparks is dead 7 nights a week. I agree 100% with OSoloMeal Sparks Street needs work but that would be a challenge. Many of the restos between Bank and O'Connor closed up shop since Public Works needed the space for offices. Also there isn't much activity to bring walk-ins to Sparks - no movie theatres, concert halls, etc. - except maybe the busker festival and the rib cook off but they only come once a year.

I have long wished that we could gentrify Bank Street a little with maybe some nice restos to eat at, some shops to visit, a movie theatre would be nice. There is a newish condo at Bank and Laurier and I believe there is a new building or two going up just west of Kent in addition to existing housing so there is a residential neighbourhood to draw from. It would be nice to have an alternative to Elgin Street and the Market. I am a little frustrated (or jealous perhaps?-;) that so many new restos are moving to Hintonburg but I would love to see some new places opening in my neighbourhood...

2012 Sep 1
Just throwing this out there. Sparks street will possibly be busier with more people moving into the area with the condo being built smack dab on sparks street. I think near the corner of o'conner. And the condos that are also being built at the corner of Elgin and Laurier might bring business too. BUT we're talking a year or two, so it's a risk. But when it pays off, it should pay off big time.

2012 Sep 4
Sparks St shuold be much better than it is... But it would be a risky move right now.

2012 Sep 4
I worked on Sparks St. for 6 years and walked to Beckta (they served lunch in those days) or Arc Lounge a couple times a week, not just because pickings were slim on Sparks St., but because the Mall is clogged with brown baggers and is effectively a smoking area for civil servants. As much as I would have loved a decent restaurant there, I think it's a tough nut to crack.

Purely out of self interest and because I live in the area, I'd love to see something else good added to the offerings on Merivale. It's definitely a lunch and early evening crowd here. There are lots of meh places, but also Trailer Pork Boys, Karara, Shawarma Prince, Luigi Panini, Tavola, all of which do some pretty good stuff. I suspect that the rents are less here, loads of free parking and I'd be very grateful :)

2012 Sep 4
As for opening a resto on Sparks the number of spots available to choose from is limited since Public Works has taken over the leases of many of the existing restos. It will be interesting to see what happens after Zellers closes. And there is still little activity here after hours. Even though I work on Sparks and live so close by I rarely come here after hours mostly because there is nothing to bring me to the street.

blubarry I too would love to see more decent restos on Merivale-;) I head out that way 4 or 5 times a year to visit the big box stores so I like to tie in a lunch while I'm there. Current faves include European Deli, Dutch Imports and Nicastros. I still have Karara, Shawarma Prince, Trailer Pork Boys, and La Cabana on my bucket list. It would be nice to have more alternatives to Harveys, Tims, McDonalds, etc...

2012 Sep 4
I think the Glebe is starving (pardon the pun) for good restaurants. ZaZaZa is always packed. The Works is always packed. In the Avenues (first through fifth) you have a bunch of tired restaurants (Vons, Flippers, Jericho etc).

There are actually a surprising amount of small offices, people working at home in the neighbourhood that I think it would do a lunch crowd - Wild Oat does well offering only lunch.

The other point is that I think it is a nicer "walking" experience than most of westboro/Hintonburg, and attracts more people on the weekends. Although I may be wrong.

2012 Sep 4
With Lansdowne under construction and all the new shops and restaurants going in there, the Glebe could be risky. It will either bring in a lot of new business, or force the independents out. Rent in the Glebe is also extremely high, my friend owns a business there and the turnover in the neighbourhood is all due to rising rent costs.

2012 Sep 4
blubarry - re: Merivale - i have read that the area has one of the lowest vacancy rates in the City aside from the downtown core. that really squeezes up rents. it's such a high traffic hub and tenants will pay for that. i think that's why most of the space is gobbled up by big box retailers and franchises. the Glebe will feel this once Landsdowne is in full operation (though rents are probably already sky high there).

that being said, i also live in the area (Bel Air Heights!) and would love to see some new offerings. looks like there is some retail plaza development on the old CTV studio lands so maybe we'll be lucky. in any event we are a short jaunt to many foodie hubs in the city.

2012 Sep 5
I think that Sparks street is out as our parent location. It just seems too quiet in the evening. Give me a year though as I have visions of a couple of very, very small locations serving lunch only made from roasts that we make at Banzini Headquarters. Sparks or the Market are high on my list for such a satellite location.

The Glebe, though, is definately a possibility. I need to spend some time there. I will.

My menu is coming into focus. My current blog describes it (in broad terms).

www.FlyingBanzini.com

And again, thanks. All of you are very helpful. I appreciatte the spirit of this community.

2012 Sep 5
Read your blog.

Please if you do a Caesar salad, make a real dressing, not that godawful mass market creamy crap.

And house made croutons, please. Uses up the day old breads anyway, lol.

2012 Sep 5
Caesar salad can be freaking awesome. Had the best I have ever had at The Stone Cellar in Perth about six weeks ago.

Or it can be President's Choice-esque.

I will shoot for the former.

2012 Sep 5
How about smoking some fish?

Right now, I'm not seeing much on the menu for people who can't/don't eat meat.

2012 Sep 5
There isn't much, I admit.

There will be limited vegetarian options. We are currently thinking about fish panini/pizza options. I am not sure where that will lead me. The Flying Banzini is aimed at meat lovers -- roast and sausage. I feel it's important to offer a limited choice of strong vegetarian options. But, I am trying to stay focussed on doing what we do well and not getting too extensive a menu.

2012 Sep 6
My husband is a meat eater - loves pork, I am a vegetarian. I know lots of similar couples. If you don't offer an interesting vegetarian dish, then we probably wouldn't come. There are lots of good restaurants that we try once and then don't return because the vegetarian option is either only pasta or no thought has gone into it. I'll settle for a veggie burger if the sides are amazing.

There are so many (many) easy, tasty, fantastic vegetarian meals you can make that aren't pasta or plain pizza. Some places have it nailed - like the Manx.

2012 Sep 6
And, for the love of Mike, if you offer a vegetarian option DON'T call it "Vegetarian" on the menu. Give the dish its own name and stress that it is vegetarian. All too often, when scanning a menu, I'll see a dish tacked at the bottom called "Vegetarian" (usually something blah and boring).

If you're going to make the effort to offer something for vegetarians, please make it more than an afterthought! :)

2012 Sep 6
Both excellent points. I will take this advice seriously. I am certain that the vegetarian choices will not be extensive. But, I will make sure that between me and my chef that we include choices are that not simply tacked on but are considered and designed with the same attitude as everything else -- simple but very well executed.

Questions -- how big a seperation is their between the need for "vegetarian" and "vegan." I am not, at this point, planning any vegan menu choices.

And, how important is a seafood option? On an early cut of the menu I included a tuna panini but I have since dropped it. I don't think I can do it well and the more I include the more I worry about menu creep.

2012 Sep 6
My two cents is that seafood doesn't heat all that well on a sandwich, so whatever you do don't press it. The only examples I can think of that are warm is tuna melts (which are barely half decent), fried fish sandwiches, oyster po' boys. I've had pressed smoked salmon paninis that were just awful.

Now, cold smoked salmon with cream cheese, pan bagnat, tuna/lobster/crab/shrimp/whitefish salad = excellent.

2012 Sep 6
I wouldn't worry about the vegan crowd too much. If you offer salads, that should be enough. It is like gluten free, you either commit to it 100%, or just don't do it. You may find that some vegetarian dishes are easily vegan as well, or able to become vegan by leaving off the cheese.

2012 Sep 6
I agree with HHF on both points - and if you are offering vegetarian options please make it really vegetarian. Not a veggie soup made with meat stock.

2012 Sep 6
Although I did mention a vegan option earlier, I wouldn't worry about it. I would say vegans would probably avoid your restaurant altogether, or as mentioned above would ask for the vegetarian option without the cheese/egg. If you think about it, most restaurants don't offer vegan options anyway.

2012 Sep 6
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is alcohol. Are you planning on having a liquor license?

2012 Sep 6
If you want to do a fish option, then how about an upmarket version of the fish finger sandwich? (I believe that in North America they may be known as fish sticks.) An interesting and complementary bread, some kind of specialty sauce (as opposed to the dollop of mayonnaise that is de rigeur) and perhaps even make your own fish fingers? I'd travel the length and breadth of the city for a good fish finger sandwich, and it would work well for a restaurant because the fish you use is cheap.

2012 Sep 7
PLanning on a small selection of beer and wine only. No liquor.

Two reds, two whites, and three beer. Something like that.

2013 Aug 31
Until the restaurant stub is created, I'll put my review of the test flight here. Actually, since they weren't technically 'open', I think I'll leave it here. It's been a little over a year since this thread was started.

The restaurant decor is very well done and nicely thought out. The colours and textures work very well together and the whole has a nicely polished feel to it.

The place was completely packed so it was difficult to get a real feel for the ambiance, but there are a fair number of banquette seats and a good row of high-top tables, where we were seated.

The projector showing great scenes on the blank white wall was a fantastic idea. Some were scenes from silent or black and white films, others were classic scenes where you know all the words anyway. "KIRK! I WEARY OF THE CHASE!"

I had The Joker pizza and was pleased with the toppings, the taste and the execution. The Dragonlady had the Caesar salad and had a few notes about that particular item. I know it is a signature of the restaurant, but she wasn't crazy about the porchetta cracklin's as a replacement for bacon, and there wasn't much dressing. She doesn't like a lot of dressing on her salads, so this is certainly something to make note of. She got to sample a thin sliver of the roast beef and it was nicely pink and tasty.

There are many different cheesecake options, both savoury and sweet. These are sold in rounds of about 1.5" and were tasty little bites. The savouries were something to keep you going until your meal arrived, which wasn't really very long at all. Even with the high volume of customers coming through the door. The sweet ones were nice as well, and while you could certainly get more than one if you wanted, the option of having just one small bite of cheesecake after the meal was a great finish.

The beer and wine selections were very interesting. Moretti and Stella in cans, and Beau's and Beyond The Pale in bottles. When I say bottles, I mean 32 oz. mini growlers! For $8! Not bad at all. Bring a friend. Also, Coke and San Pelligrino products in bottles. Nice.

Not a chip fryer in the place. Keep that in mind. They do have baked potato wedges, if you must.

The listed prices were fair and I'll definitely be coming back to try more. Over all, a great experience.

There were a couple of things I wasn't crazy about, however.

The name card idea is kind of cute, but having servers running through the tables yelling out the names of the guests they are trying to find (via the aforementioned name cards) was a bit odd. I'm sure it would work very well in New York.

Getting up to get the dessert and bringing it back to the table, I had to interrupt the line at the cash to get the attention of the person behind the cooler. It messed with the flow a bit. There weren't any servers dedicated to any particular table, so if you wanted something, you could just flag down anyone. I'm sure this will be confusing to everyone in Ottawa.

Also, after the meal I forgot to put a tip in the tip jar. I meant to do that when I ordered and forgot, then forgot again on the way out. There were a dozen people standing around waiting for tables and we felt a bit rushed, so ... reason. I wasn't going to leave it on the table.

2013 Aug 31
Each an every one of us has the power to create a new restaurant.

The Flying Banzini

2013 Aug 31
sigh

Yes. I know that. I've done it several times. Thank you for reminding me.

I didn't feel that I had enough information to put up a proper blurb at the time. What you put up there is less than useless. It has nothing about the location, the phone number, the type of food or anything at all. Your example is exactly what I was hoping to avoid. Now you are responsible for updating it with proper information.

Congratulations.

2013 Aug 31
To help Zym out, here's their website: flyingbanzini.com/

2013 Aug 31
Rizak, actually what Zym put up is pretty much perfect. All I had to add was the "Eating" tag since it's a restaurant. I always prefer having minimal information for a vendor entry as it easily becomes out of date.

Location information will start working once Google and Bell update the address/phone number info. For now, that info is easily accessible via the restaurant's website.

2013 Aug 31
Yeah I thought for a moment about what to write but I have never been there so really that would have been useless. And it is more useful to have something there so that others can start commentig on it. As warby said, information can quickly become stale and so the only thing that really matters are the most recent reviews. And a lot of people may not know how to create a new restaurant so may not write a review unless something is there.

So I stand by my decision ... just having an entry is better than not having one.

EDIT : oh and, refashionista - thanks but I already had the website linked into the entry.