I knew I was almost home when ... [Travel]

2012 Aug 20
... at the restaurant this morning the waitress asked if the toast should be white or whole wheat

It's good to be back where men are men and whole wheat is not 'brown' :-)

2012 Aug 21
:) I try to fit in by calling it brown no matter where I am. It's the diner way. (Or something.)

2012 Aug 21
"Brown" will get you sweet molasses bread or just a strange look in some parts of North America.

I'm with Zym on preferring "white or whole wheat" as choices. The one that really makes me shake my head is "white or wheat" -- as in WTF did you think white flour is made of anyway? "Oh, I'd like white bread please. I have celiac disease and can't eat wheat." Hahaha! That said, it's way more efficient to say "brown" than "whole wheat" so I don't fault anyone for it.

But Zym, really, "men are men?" You didn't sound like a dinosaur until you said that, even as an idiom. Country life appeals in many ways but an outdated view of gender roles is not one of them. :P

2012 Aug 21
I was waiting for someone to call me on that - I used it just because it is a stupid idiom and I'm not really sure what it is supposed to mean :-) It just gets used in situations like this. If you can think of a better way to express it go ahead and edit me. I spent a total of about 60 seconds trying to think of a better way to say that and finally just said "screw it" because it is a ridiculous expression and this is a bit of a ridiculous post anyway :-)

But yeah Momomoto, if you ask for "Brown" where I am right now you won't be getting whole wheat. You'll get white bread with added molasses to make it brown and sweet.

2012 Aug 21
Zym, the "men are men" idiom is a conservative hearkening back to the "good old days." (When women weren't allowed to do things like, you know, vote.) Your use of it sort of makes sense, since you lived there in the past. I just couldn't resist being the one to call you on it. :-)

Anyway, it all reminds me of this hilarious quote:
"Internet chatrooms, where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents."

2012 Aug 21
Uh, Fresh Foodie, did you just slag all men who live in the country? (Re: "Country life appeals in many ways but an outdated view of gender roles is not one of them."
I'm hurt...but still able to laugh at the chatroom quote.

2012 Aug 21
Haha... oh crap! No, I don't want to slag anyone who lives in the country. It was an unfair jab, based on my assumption that social progress tends to be spearheaded by urban communities and that rural folk tend to glorify the simpler times of days gone by.

The "men are men" statement is one that is typically used by rural people to slag urbanites, hence my inappropriate jab. :-)

2012 Aug 21
FF you just dug yourself deeper...."social progress tends to be spearheaded by urban communities"

I am deep in document writing mode and my brain cannot come up with a witty comeback to that or a humorous goad into more ;)

2012 Aug 21
Nice one FF!

Now my woman is hissing at you! And I'll have to ask Grandma what her opinion is, simple woman that she is.

Keep them coming, I say...haaahaaaaaaa

2012 Aug 21
Hahaha... I expected that kind of response because generalizations are always wrong some of the time. Small towns might have Santa Claus parades but they don't seem to have many Pride parades. Right? Right??? :O

I'm going to shut up now. Self-censorship! :D

2012 Aug 21
G'day FF, you done got us all figured out now don'cha. Heck we got us some culture out in these parts too you know. Just last month I got the missus some new rubber boots on account the man on the television was saying that lady's were entitled to the same work as us men folk. Have fun shovellin' honey. I just love this whole citiot mentality,gonna save me a load of work .more time for possum huntin'. Cheers

2012 Aug 21
FF I should never confess this on the internet but it is too funny to pass up. Years back I hosted a BBQ at a new house I built. My gay (male) friend and some of the girls I did not know well wanted a tour of the house while the rest of the 'men' were outside drinking beer and cussing.

Toured the house in short order as my decorating skills are lacking. Ended up on the back deck at which point the 5 girls saw the hottub off the deck and were bummed about wishing they had brought their bathing suites.

Without skipping a beat I said...dont worry you dont need a bathing suite as I am gay too. I swear on a stack of pulled pork those girls dropped their clothes in 30 seconds and we all jumped in to the hottub. My gay friend looked at me point blank and called me a bastard for using such a line. What could I say.....

I really dont care who marches where, town country or what the cause. As long as the group pays for all costs and does not expect society to pick up the burden people can knock them selves out and march for whatever reason.

Not everyone in the country is racist or homophobic.