Brunch or Sunday Lunch [General]

2012 Aug 18
We are planning on hosting a small retirement party for 6 people. I have been reading reviews of Arome in Gatineau and brunch at the Chateau Laurier. Arome seems to have gotten mostly positive reviews, but some not so good ones. The reviews I have found of the Chateau Laurier are very dated. We have in the past had brunch at Perspectives ( excellent) The National Arts Centre (both good and bad) and Banco. What another brunch places or really nice places are there for Sunday lunch? We have people coming in from Kingston and Perth so I don't want to drive too far. Any suggestions appreciated. I should add that for this special occasion, price is not an issue. Thanks!

2012 Aug 19
Hi Feline,

I have been to arome about four times now and I have always had great food and the outdoor patio is quite nice. I would highly recommend Sunday brunch at arome as they have a wide variety of quality food items available. Chateau laurier is also very nice or as a third option, you could go to Minto Suites restaurant for brunch (apparently they have the best scrambled eggs in the city)! I heard perspectives is good but I have never been and if you don't want to drive too far then I would definitely opt for arome.

p.s. if you decide that distance is not a deal-breaker for you, you should try the fairmont montebello's brunch. its only about 40 min to 1hour away, depending on where you live in Ottawa. Beautiful view and you can take a walk by the river afterwards to digest :) good luck!

2012 Aug 20
Food-wise i'm a huge fan of JAK'S on Bronson for brunch. With the construction, well... i'm afraid the view isn't much improved. But if that doesn't put you off i recommend it. The banana-bread french toast is wrong. in a good way.

If you call ahead and speak with 'Bob' i'm told STONEFACE DOLLIES will give you a table in the back section which isn't exactly private but is semi-aside from the rest of the restau. Great great brunch there, probably my favourite in the city.

I'll second Shag's reco of CHATEAU MONTEBELLO. Their brunch buffet is amazing, extra points for the rustic/elegant setting.

2012 Aug 21
OSoloMeal, Jak's has good food as I have been there but I'm looking more for a " fine dining" type of place. Chateau Montebello is excellent but I'm not sure folks from Kingston and Perth will want to drive that far. Stoneface Dolly's is also great and I know Bob and I know he will hold a table for us as he has done so in the past. But again, I'm looking for a more upscale, quieter place.

Shag Me, I'm glad to hear your recommendation of Arome. Monto Suites is pretty good also, but doesn't fit the "special" that I am looking for. Arome would, as would the Chateau Laurier.

BTW, OSoloMeal, I love your avatar. Is that your cat? How did you ever get him/her to sit still long enough wearing that hat to take it's picture?

2012 Aug 21
"BTW, OSoloMeal, I love your avatar. Is that your cat? How did you ever get him/her to sit still long enough wearing that hat to take it's picture?"

Staples.

:)

2012 Aug 21
Oh. Love it anyway.