The Montreal foodie thread [General]

2012 Aug 16
Montreal.
It's 2 hrs away.
And it's a foodie paradise.
You've been there, most of you. And you know what i'm talking about. Don't deny it! It's ok... it's in a whole other province... it's FOODIE TOURISM.

Thus, this thread for your Mtl raves, rants and recos...

----------

And with that intro, may i say that while i generally/temporarily avoid the fnck out of any restaurant that recently received a positive review in a major local newspaper, i broke that rule to try DINETTE TRIPLE CROWN on Clarke at St-Zotique and i was SO HAPPY i did!

Here is the review...
www.montrealgazette.com

It's even cuter and better than it sounds. This is a tiny place, ten seats at a counter facing the window.

The entirely pleasant and friendly front staff are from elseprovince, the cook is from Kentucky and he's laying down his grandma's recipes in pure art form. the place is eight weeks old and already feels like it's been there forever (in a good way).

I had the Big Nasty sandwich. Two big chunks of tasty southern fried chicken in a homemade biscuit the size of your head, slathered in their own white(ish) bbq gravy. Damn this was good.

The blackeyed peas were great. The chunks of sweet potato may have been dipped in crack.

Don't even ask me about the blackberry bread pudding because words fail me and i was too busy eating it to analyze.

All that with two house-made pink lemonades - $25. worth every penny. Cannot get back there soon enough.

2012 Aug 16
Beauty's Luncheonette, St-Urbain and Mount-Royal. Since 1942. Good breakfast, great coffee. Freshly squeezed OJ. The potatoes scrapple in the eggs meal are pretty bland, but some tabasco, salt and pepper can rescue them. Everything is very fresh. Good sausage. Now why would I, Bacon IV, not have bacon with the eggs? Beauty's big strike: no bacon made to order, all pre-cooked, all crisp.

Ninety-two-year-old Hymie greets guests and chats in the lineup. If you're 2, it's a 2-minute wait, group of 3: 3 minutes, and so forth. Nice man.

2012 Aug 16
Wherever Nantha Kumar is cooking up Malaysian and Indonesian cuisine, in particular his mee goreng noodles or lamb shank curry. I first met him at Nantha's at 9 Duluth St and then he morphed that into a club where he was spending more time spinning than cooking. It closed and then Nantha moved around town, lately it's been at a place called 'Cash & Curry' (also on Duluth) in an art gallery but just certain days of the week.

He's not easy to track down but his curries and noodles make it worth every bite once you do...

2012 Nov 26
Help me out here foodies...

Need a place to eat in Mtl...

- Table for 12, round would be preferable but not essential;
- Not too noisy;
- $25-50pp range;
- BYO totally fine but not necessary;
- virtually anywhere in the city but not off the island;
- damn good food, not allergy or preference issues.

Suggestions?

2012 Dec 1
Onoir: www.onoir.com

My sister took me here once, it was a really interesting experience and the food was pretty good. It is a restaurant where you eat completely in the dark (like wave a hand in front of my face an dI have no clue). pretty cool...

2012 Dec 3
Im in Montreal once every 3 weeks and always trying new places to eat. here`s my list.

Garde Manger (Chuck Hughes)
Club Chase et Peche (Summer)
Joe Beef
Kazu (Izakaya)
Karouin for Croissant and Quiche
Deville Bar
Qing hua dumplings
Romados

And it could go on and on...

2012 Dec 7
Moishe's on St. Lawrence, best steakhouse in the city.

My favourite Greek place is Ouzeri on St. Denis near St. Joseph, a non-descript building on the west side of the street, an almost flat-iron like building with frontage on St. Denis and the other street that angles away to the southwest. Great ambience, great wine, great food.

Mythos on Park between Fairmount and St. Viateur is fantastic too.

Finally, Philinos, on Park near Villeneuve, just north of Mount Royal.

Besides that, Elixor in the Centropolis in Chomedey, great variety and quality food at good prices.

The Academie in the Sources mall in DDO off the Met is a great BYO place. Very nicely priced and quality pasta dishes.

2012 Dec 11
And for those little extra ending touches to savour back home, I can recommend any of the places on my Montreal Chocolatier Map: goo.gl/CtJPt

2013 Dec 2
Tried this place www.moonshinebbqmtl.com/ on Decarie
for the first time this past weekend. They knocked it out of the park.

Had the beef ribs - massive meaty tasty in the 'firm' southern style, the beef brisket - falls apart in your fingers with a crust i could have eaten a bowl of, and jumbo wings - delicious, more like drumsticks than wings.

The slaw was a tasty mustard vinegar thing and the brick sized chunk of cornbread was sort of like crack. Sweet potato fries were all good and only suffered for our lack of stomach space left to shove them into.

Seriously, a total bbq score of a meal. Tables near us were mowing down on the bbq chicken and really enjoyed. Another table had a whole meal of things not on the menu... apparently if you call 24hrs in advance, they'll make you pretty much anything you request. Based on the slider sized po-boys and the platter of southern fried chicken and waffles i saw, i intend to make that request asap.

Service was great throughout, water, sauces, napkins etc all delivered on request.

The Moonshine Red beer they have made for the restaurant went very well with the food, and they had a few more options plus 3-4 wines of each color.

Not a huge place and no reservations unless you're a huge group. We got a table for 2 no problem on a Satnite but people after us had a short wait. By 830/9ish there were a few tables free tho it looked like it was filling up again.

About $60 for two stuffed people. Worth it. Will be back, will send others.