Worst waitstaff, walked out of Hintonburg Public House [General]

2012 Aug 13
So Friday came, not soon enough. Had been looking forward to a nice lunch somewhere in Hintonburg. Word had it, that the Hintonburg Public House did a good burger. So despite the rain, I dragged a colleague through puddles, over hills, and in the face of torrential rain.. Ok, maybe it was just a light drizzle.

We ended up at Hintonburg Public House right before noon. It was empty, I took an extra moment outside to shake out my umbrella and stepped inside. I noticed my colleague headed off towards the back left of the restaurant, I had no idea why and beelined for the window table. He saw me go that way and came over. As we sat down, the waiter came over and in this extremely snarky and rude manner made the comment. "OK well then, just take a table for four at the window INSTEAD THEN"

I sat there totally puzzled, my colleauge says to the guy, or partway says as the buffoon cut him off and spoke over him. "Well, the restaurant is empty, and if you want you can pull the other table off ours" (It was two, 2seaters pushed together)

The buffoon spoke over him saying, "WELL we get busy, nevermind then".

I'm now piecing it together, my colleague says to me. That upon entry, buffoon had told him to pick any table for two along the back wall. So I try to brush it off, but he'd been so rude, his tone and voice, demeanour. That I couldn't, it literally took the wind out of my sails.

So I suggested we leave, he was ok with it. As buffoon boy returned to the table we were standing up. I told him we were leaving, as a result of his poor attitude. He gets a silly look on his face, and says deadpan.. oh but I was just kidding?.. I told him that wasn't quite believable and we left.

On the way out, we told the lady who looked like the owner setting up a sign we were leaving and apologized but it was as a result of buffoon boys behaviour. She quickly apologized which was decent of her.

God help me no business I ever own I'll make the mistake of staffing his like. We figured he probably costs them more business in a day than he earns in wages in a week.

We wandered down the street to Backlane Cafe, experienced a horrible burger, with a plate of salt, and a side order of fries. No ketchup! Or any sort of sauce, water helped drown the caramel burger, and salt down.

Lucky for us, the Cake Shop (I might have got the name wrong) on Wellington had a great Butter tart, and an excellent Coconut cream horseshoe pastry. Saving grace of sorts.

I've had bad service, and usually its too late in the meal to do anything about it. But really, this was too much.

2012 Aug 13
The burgers there are excellent. I was there once last Sunday night (8 days ago) and the service was fantastic - the right combination of being attentive without being overbearing.

Your situation sounds like it would have made a good episode of Three's Company - the show which every episode was based on a stupid and embarrassing misunderstanding like that. I'd be a bit ticked too if I told someone to go sit over there, and they went in the opposite direction instead. Which from his point of view is what happened.

I'll definitely be going back - in fact tonight, to win the beer mug competition.

2012 Aug 13
If you were ticked, expressed it to my client. I'd have you out on your ass so quickly your head would be spinning.

His point of view means nothing to me, zero. Especially since buffoon boy fails at the most basic levels of courtesy. Server ! = Teller.

Two people popped by my office in the afternoon asking about the place, I told them. Had a meeting with seven colleagues a while later and someone cracked a joke about buffoon boy. So I had to retell the story. Dumb waitstaff have a huge cost on a business. Most of those folks won't try the place as a result of the negative story. Forget the fact they won't remember the details of why in a few days. It's just human nature.

2012 Aug 13
Well with all due respect, there are 3 sides to every story, as they say - your side, my side, and the truth.

I would be more inclined to believe my employee than some cranky customer who thinks the world should stop spinning for them. Not saying you are that customer I'm just saying I'd be most inclined to give my employee the benefit of the doubt and not can them the first time a holier-than-thou customer gets all in a tizzy. I see people getting in tizzies all the time with clerks and the likes - in most cases it is the customer who needs to be taught a lesson. In the vast majority of cases.

2012 Aug 13
You're right there's usually a case for wonky clients, but I'm pretty sure big business was built on the saying "The customer is always right" Not much was built on the likes of this guy. Likely much was lost.

Key facts
a completely empty restaurant.
no reservations anywhere
a table that could be split

Inexcusable are his comments about taking a choice of seating in a completely empty restaurant. speaking over my colleague, then lying about it just being a joke ..

If there was a case for another side of the story. I'd acknowledge it. I was there, it was unreal how he spoke.

2012 Aug 13
I agree, that waiter sounds like a douche. You should sit wherever you like, esp in an empty resto. That said, try the place again, it's worth it, I think they have great food.

I'm also shocked you hated the Back Lane burgers. I'm wondering if they had a really bad day. So the burger was too sweet? I've never heard a burger described as mushy. I guess if caramelized onions aren't your thing (I can't imagine why not haha), this is not the burger for you. Were the fries good at least? these are among my faves in town.

Anyway, I'd recommend to give both another shot. Maybe try something else at BLC. I have to say, I'm a bit peeved at these high-endish places not giving too much options for the burger toppings. I'm also surprised they don't offer cheese or bacon, although I think they're delicious in spite of this.

2012 Aug 13
"I'd be a bit ticked too if I told someone to go sit over there, and they went in the opposite direction instead."

Sorry zym, but best to stick to your day job: you have no business serving the public if something like this ticks you off, much less so if you should feel inclined to express your feelings to paying customers.

As far as taking the word of your employees over cranky customers, once again you'd be best staying out of any business that involves the service industry as you simply do not get to pick and choose your (paying) clientele.

2012 Aug 13
IMO - there was a way for BB to address the situation more appropriately. Something along the lines of "we get busy after 12:00. If you don't mind, I'm going to move the extra deuce"

HPC does not accept reservations, so in my mind it's 1st come, 1st served. Which includes primo tables like ones in the window.

2012 Aug 13
Yes, I'd heard HPC had good food, a lot of it from scratch etc. So I was keen on trying it. I would return, but upon ensuring BB wasn't present. I just think it'll be awhile before I do so. The experience is still quite sharp in my memory.

Back Lane didn't seem like my cup of tea, had the burger been prepared to any measure of decency. I'd mention it, the fries seemed good, but it was hard to taste them under the pound of salt. I had to ask for a soft drink, to which I was promptly told they didn't serve any, only Italian sodas. Which, good for them is a great choice, exceptionally high margin drink. A few spritzes and carbonated water. Think theater soda. But just didn't feel right with the burger.

The bun was decent, but the onions tasted like pure sugar. It honestly tasted like jam, I noticed there was some mention of jam in the description. When I first bit into the burger it was akin to a PB&J .. except a really bad one. I picked off all the onions, and since I was hungry.. ate the thing. But no mustard, ketchup, or any semblance of a normal burger topping. The meat was a grey purple..

My colleague had said Hintonburger, I was like nono, lets try something different. I said Burnt butter, him, Back Lane cafe.. I shoulda made him pay. lol.

It was pointed out to me, that the vast majority of tables were filled with ladies over 60+. He also was very displeased with the burger he had, made a crack about the mush.. dentures.. flavored for lost taste buds lol.. (ALL old foodies please find yourself excluded from said joke)

The other two entrees were mussels? And the third a very fancy sounding vegetarian dish.

2012 Aug 13
This may be unfair but I'll offer it for your consideration anyway. I knew a restaurauteur who used to try to only put "pretty" people in the window because he thought it made the place look more attractive to passers by. Ordinary joes were seated elsewhere. Not making any assumptions about your appearance Ravi, but maybe they were unofficially reserving the window tables for the models.

2012 Aug 13
"I knew a restaurauteur who used to try to only put "pretty" people in the window..."

You haven't been to the HPH have you Blubarry? ;o)

2012 Aug 13
I don't think I could attribute that level of forethought to this fellow. Not to mention the brisk business they were doing that day...

Back Lane was near full, they were empty.

I've also never been led away from a empty window table ever in my life.

Shrugs.

2012 Aug 13
It takes a lot to believe that you weren't being pretty rude yourself Ravi. It seems like you have very little respect for restaurants or their staff. I agree with Zymurgist about there being three sides to every interaction. It seems like you were both in the wrong, and you just had a bad start that only got worse. It seems a little unfair to him, and the establishment, to publicly insult and shame them so personally.

2012 Aug 13
brb, popping popcorn

2012 Aug 13
I do a fine business with the public thanks Johanna, and if they don't like the way I do business they can go elsewhere. I won't compromise my morals for money - and if someone does not like that I don't want them as a customer - even if I starve as a result.

2012 Aug 13
Lol @ Steve G.

I trudged through rain to visit that establishment, and I said I'd give it a go again at some later point.

I'll be very clear, I will not let anyone mistreat me, my friends or anyone else who is around me for such reasons.

Nobody in any walk of life gets to be rude to me in an interaction such as this. Perhaps you're lacking self respect and would allow a total stranger to be rude to you for as silly a reason as this.

Had that idiot treated you, a total pompous stranger in the manner he had and I'd witnessed it. I'd have said something.

You've perhaps missed the point Mr . Steve. This guy wasn't speaking to me, he was being rude to my colleague, spoke over my colleague and was quite the ass overall. None of that interaction was with me.

My displeasure was as a result of his treatment of the gentleman I came to the establishment with, who came on my prompting to give it our patronage.

So yeah, I was fucking embarrassed to have this happen as a result of my recommendation and my unwittingly heinous crime of selecting a Window seat in an empty restaurant. I wasn't in the place when he was told to sit in the back. I walked in and picked the table oblivious to that.

*shakes head*

Popcorn is right, lol. Ciao

2012 Aug 13
Monty - I'll have my popcorn at the window seat, thanks.

2012 Aug 14
You're assuming they'll let you have it Chimi, word is you've gotta be at least a 8.5 to get glass side seats! :-D

2012 Aug 14
Well, we still only have one side of the story, and judging by the over the top nature of that writer in other active threads, I'm going to take these words with a grain of salt if you will pardon my pun

2012 Aug 14
You're welcome to reserve judgement Zymurgist. Your position on customer service and experience speaks volumes. I wonder how you'd react if you'd been presented with this behavior by waitstaff towards someone who was effectively your guest. Cheers

2012 Aug 14
Ravi, all we have about this 'behavior' is your word. I see from this and other threads that you are prone to exaggeration and even hyperbole, so I have to ask myself how much of your indignation here is a result of such overreacting to the situation.

I like to think of myself as a fair minded person who gives people the benefit of the doubt. You want to see someone lose their job for what appears to be a simple misunderstanding. That speaks volumes.

There is an old proverb that goes something like this : the things we say about others tells people more about ourself than about those others.

2012 Aug 14
I hesitate to drag this on further. Given this is becoming some silly back and forth. But I'm taking the effort to explain something.

Here's a few points,
-I told the waiter why we were leaving, I wasn't rude to him about it either. The reason I told him was so he could adjust his behavior, and understand treating paying customers as such has reprecussions. You don't get to act like that, expect a client to accept it, have them give you business, and on top of that expect a tip.

-I also explained to what looked like the owner on the way out, again not in a rude manner but pointedly. She apologized.

-This guy doesn't deserve to lose his job, but he might certainly need to be pulled from the front of house. Waitstaff are the face of the restaurant industry. You build a business on customer service, product alone does not sell.

-If you've difficulty discerning humour, obvious exaggeration (circa pound of salt comment you're clinging to) and basic fact as such is stated in this thread. I can't help you, so please continue on with life as you see fit. I've no interest in debating further.

Good day.

You're welcome to slither in some last retort, perhaps a personal affront, as you seem to be sliding there. I'm sure you'll be the bigger person for it. Again, have a great day.

2012 Aug 14
I smell popcorn :)

When you dine at a restro, you are going to pay for the entire experience, not just for the food. Even the food itself is good, but the service sucks, I won't go back, and if I realy love the food, I will send a constractive complaint to the business owner.
If the server is rude, I don't pay tip to make my point. No tip or leave a penny on the table happened twice in the last 12 years in Ottawa. One was at the very fancy dining with dress code, the other was at the family owned restro.

I am a cook, there are lot of hard work in the kitchen. I sweat like a pig during the busy service. It is very frustrating some ignorant server don't know how to provide good service to the customer. Many times I wanted punch their face or throw the tong or spatura at them.

2012 Aug 14
Personal affront? Ravi you have launched an ad hominem against Steve above, and now one against me.

This says far more about you than about either of us.

2012 Aug 14
Ravi, Zym, et.al.

I have been following this thread with some amusement :-). Lots of valid points and I am enjoying this, hopefully not at anyone’s expense.

Personally, I believe your (Ravi) experience sucked, and I believe that you have all the right to be upset about it, and to explain your displeasure on this website.

But, I agree that your rhetoric is a bit over the top and is thus causing some board members to take your post with a grain of salt. I too get emotional and often resort to hyperbole when I review restaurants, we all do it, but I have learned by eating humble pie served up by my fellow foodies that it doesn't really add much to any conversation, it just frustrates the shit out of people; even when you know your right... and I believe that the server was a bit of an ass. Again, I say this to you as someone who has been guilty of this kind of rhetoric on many occasions (trust me, search my history on this website).

Also, I don't think trudging through the rain has anything to do with the bad service, so that is a moot point. I too have failed miserably when recommending a restaurant, it happens, I post review about it, then move on. Also you should accept that while your experience sucked, others may have had good ones, ei: zym. I've been to places I have really enjoyed, while other members have lambasted as horrible in food and service. It happens, and it all depends on the person.

I think zym might be a bit too generous with the benefit of the doubt thing, but he has said nothing wrong. Ultimately, his moderation of this conversation is what keeps such discussions civil. Kudos Zym

2012 Aug 14
given my dining experience in Ottawa I would have to confess that I think we have a serious issue of misguided server attitude. at least half of my dining experiences in Ottawa in the past 17 years have left me wondering how these places stay in business.

keep in mind my father ran many restaurants and if you were not out on the floor hustling with a positive attitude you heard about it. There were no exceptions. Ravi's comments really dont surprise me and I dont have to believe Ravi in this instance to think we have on average less than stellar service in Ottawa.

2012 Aug 14
Hi everyone; I just thought I could wade in on the topic...

I can certainly understand Ravi's side of the issue but as Zym has pointed out, there is probably more to the story than meets the eye..

I hear different comments about the places in the area & others around town, some I agree with some I don't, I haven't had the oppurtunity to go into HPH but I've heard far more positive than negative..

No offence Ravi but it seems you're throwing out the baby with the bathwater, it's not fair to hing everything on one rude server who may very well been told not to have 2's sit at 4 tops but didn't express the point very well(we have the same issue with our Patio)...

Personally I would have written Summer & let her know about your experience rather than panning the place on the web; if she ignores your comments than do what you think is fair...

Just my opinion
Terry

2012 Aug 14
Like most arguments, you both make some good points, and some bad ones. I don't know Ravi or his relationship with his friend but saying he's embarrassed for recommending the place is a bit of an exaggeration. I'm sure your friend doesn't blame you for the incident. I would just stick to disappointment, and props for saying that you'd be willing to try the place again (I missed that the first time).

I agree with you 100% that the guy was a douche, and I have no idea why Zym doesn't take your word for it. I'd be suspicious if you owned a resto across the street (you don't, do you? haha), but I don't know what the point is of commenting if fellow foodies don't believe it's the truth. Anyway, there are enough New User posters who get slagged, as they should, since they seem to have a vested interest in slamming the competition, or promoting their own or friend's business.

As for Zym's comment on not putting up with shit from customers, and they can go elsewhere if they want to, and the rest of it, I agree 100%. I'm like that, too. But this attitude is for my own business (if I had one), as Zym's is for his. A waiter should swallow his pride and put up with more shit than the owner. He should always take the high road, while reporting any abuse, or politely defend himself if it gets bad. See how nicely and patiently the girl at the Chick-fil-A drive-thru handled that douche customer who ambushed her (and later got fired for his trouble).

Finally, I don't see any ad hominem attacks against anyone here. Ravi can criticize this waiter if he wants to for his behaviour. It's not as if he attacked him on a personal level or made assumptions of his personal situation ('he's probably low on meds' or some other nonsense). 'Buffoon boy' is a harmless shot, let's not get too sensitive and PC.

On the subject, kudos to FF for no bleeping. I saw an f-word here and there. Children, avert your eyes.

Pass the popcorn.

2012 Aug 14
Something I don't think anyone has mentioned is that perhaps the server was just following the seating guidelines that the restaurant management has laid out for them. Yes, while he should have been able to trust his common sense given that the restaurant was empty, that is not always what happens in customer service situations. Often the risk of being chastised or questioned by your boss can be enough to forego common sense and not bend the rules for anyone. Maybe it was his first week on the job? The point is, we don't know the other side of the story. I'm sure after you left he realized that letting you sit at the window wouldn't be such a big deal, and the owner most likely spoke to him about using his own judgment from now on when the circumstances allow for it.

What seems to have happened here is that you both misunderstood the tone of your actions. You didn't know he had asked you to sit at a 2-top and he didn't realize you hadn't heard him and viewed your action of sitting at the window as though you had just blatently ignored him. While he may be merely a server in your eyes he still deserves the benefit of the doubt and calling him a buffoon on the internet for all to read is unfair. Your disappointment with your visit could have been clearly expressed without having to insult his intelligence.

2012 Aug 14
You guys are right, I have no idea if he had specific instructions with regards to seating.

I have no issue following some restaurant policy, I have been asked to sit in certain sections that were open over others that are closed. I don't take issue with that at all.

I'll suggest his approach was broken, I'd have been ok, if he'd advised of a policy that 4 tops are reserved for 4 clients. Or even with the information that they get busy and need the seating. Or even asked that we move to a 2 person table.

I didn't need any favors, or anyone being overly polite, tippy toeing about, or even being courteous. I'd have been fine, with a request to move in a normal tone without even a please.

He went a ways past what would be considered appropriate conduct in any customer interaction.

I have been to a restaurant or two.. I have had service from a waiter before.. I don't exactly complain about service on a regular basis. The bar is pretty low.

I made whatever comments around his intelligence based on his comment that he was just joking..

Yes, it sucks I've made mention of poor service at a restaurant that's reasonably regarded.. What sucks more, is my experiencing it.

Will I go back, yes. Because I don't think he was representative of the food or the dining experience there.

This has all really been more trouble than it was worth. I mentioned it as a discussion point.. instead. A bunch of people think I misconstrued or overreacted to what I know was some pretty tawdry behaviour.

Life goes on, everyone is welcome to their own opinion and can surmise as they will over what .really. happened.

If anyone wants this thread deleted, say so. And I'll endorse it, and request FF do so. It really is of no consequence to myself, I just shared an experience.

2012 Aug 14
Ravi Have you considered sending an email to the owner? You mentioned that you talked to someone whom you thought was the owner but maybe an email can resolve things? I'm just suggesting it because it really seems to be bothering you... And maybe an email is better at resolving a dispute than bashing the place on the internet. Just my two cents...

2012 Aug 14
I think someone hit the nail on the head above when they said the place probably only sits pretty folks at the window.

My wife and I went there last Sunday night and were taken directly to a table for 4 at the window :-)

2012 Aug 14
What would one wear if one wants to sit by the window?

2012 Aug 14
Zym...Hilarious! I don't know what Ravi looks like but I'm picturing OSoloMeal's 'Rage Cat' reaching critical mass

2012 Aug 14
AMR Why a pink dress and a tiara of course!-;)

2012 Aug 14
Zym ?

Seated in the HPH's front window ?

Must of been sportn' his new MEC shirt ...

and not one of his 'ol ratty T-shirts.

2012 Aug 14
This is Hintonburg AMR -- reference the Restaurant Dress Codes thread for "those bloody sneaker/hiking shoe hybrids that Ottawa seems to love so much" ;o)

2012 Aug 14
Don't forget the matching MEC shirt for those 'hiking' shoes.

The shirt that gets you seated in the front window of many fine Hintonburg/Wellington Village/Westboro restaurants !

2012 Aug 14
"I do a fine business with the public thanks Johanna, and if they don't like the way I do business they can go elsewhere... even if I starve as a result."

Maybe this is why you can't afford Juniper, even with a gift certificate? ;o)

[Fire away with thumbs down, no one likes a smart ass!]

2012 Aug 14
Actually my hiking shoes I had on at HPH were very similar to the ones above but orange mesh. Yes, I had that shirt on too. And my new shorts from Giant Tiger :-)

2012 Aug 14
Of course, it might have had something to do with his date wearing an above-the-knee skirt.. We were definitely out-numbered by the hipsters, either way. ;)

(And, FTR, while I share Zym's attitude on customers w/re to our own business, I feel the need to point out that *I* am the one who handles the majority of customer relations, and this is at my insistence. ;) I'm a low-maintenance gal who likes low-maintenance customers. ;))

2012 Aug 14
I'm hesitant to delete this topic as Ravi requested, simply because of the amount of effort people have put into their posts.

If you want me to KEEP this topic, click the THUMBS UP for this post.
If you want me to DELETE this topic, click the THUMBS DOWN.

If you can make this text stay faded out, I will delete the topic. :-)

2012 Aug 14
I don't think you should ever delete posts or threads unless they're obviously defamatory or libellous. People should stand by their words, which I know Ravi is more than capable of doing.

2012 Aug 14
I did ask to have it nuked, since it started to deviate away from my experience with poor service into something else. Poor service is something that just seems to be the norm, not the exception so I rarely ever mention it. This guy, took it to another level and for some odd reason I thought this was the forum to share such.

This thread started creeping into.. it must be my imagination.. or slithery comments about looks and seating.

What's coming out of this thread? It's at the slinging mud status. I'm not going to retort with comments about peoples obvious lack of finances, or proper attire, business sense, or the rest of the stuff.. Nor make cracks about peoples looks as reason as to why they weren't seated somewhere.

This thread is showing plain ugly bits, sinking well past what I'm interested in partaking with random strangers. I'd rather just think of you lot as happy go lucky foodie types.

2012 Aug 14
Welcome to the Internet Ravi - threads drift. If we deleted every thread on every forum which did this, we'd have nothing.

Here I thought you were having a "disavow or double-down" crossroads - hope springs eternal.

2012 Aug 14
Personally, I think a large group of us should dress up (men in tiaras and pink gowns, women in tuxedos) get takeout from Backlane Café (burger with extra sugar and fries with extra salt) and visit HPH to eat and drink -- asking for a window seat of course. If someone gives us attitude, we will act like drama queens prior to slumping down over cups of tea. Finally, we'll all put kilts over our clothes and go to Juniper for dessert, regaling the other diners with raucous chants about the terrorists having won.

Life is simple, really. We are all ambassadors for the human race. ;-)

2012 Aug 14
Can I wear ladies underwear for that one warby ???

Whoops, did I say that out loud?

2012 Aug 14
I found a pink dress for guys:)

2012 Aug 15
Just some quick input from an owner of multiple businesses, some retail - there is no way in hell the customer is ALWAYS right. In situations where a client complains about something, I will always put myself in their shoes assuming they are right and re-work it from there.

Depending on the situation, I will also talk it over with my employee(s) and get their side of the story. From there, it's my job to make everyone happy.

Sometimes we're wrong - sometimes the client is wrong. Plain and simple.

If it's really bothering you, reach out to the owner and find out what was going on. If they aren't willing to listen, reach out or at least try to explain and/or apologize, don't go back.

2012 Aug 15
kitchenvirtue.com, that sounds sane to me! It's good business sense to accommodate your customers but there has to be a limit and some customers are worth alienating. Being overly self-righteous will hurt your business though, so it's a tough balance to strike. I think the best advice for both parties is not to let emotion (i.e. anger) get in the way of doing what is best overall.

2012 Aug 15
Fyi - HPH posted that they are looking for servers.
Fyi, pt 2 - the owner of HPH is an Ottawafoodie, mymomsafoodie.

2012 Aug 15
Before we start heating up the tar and plucking the chicken for Ravi. The two events may not be related. HPH has posted a few ads on their FB page looking for servers and/or kitchen staff.

I agree the customer is not always right and sometimes a business has to "fire" a customer, but I still maintain there was a better way for the server to approach the situation.

2012 Aug 15
From my original post.

"On the way out, we told the lady who looked like the owner setting up a sign we were leaving and apologized but it was as a result of buffoon boys behaviour. She quickly apologized which was decent of her. "

I'll restate. ~I~ apologized for leaving. She upon hearing what I told her as to the reason why. Apologized back.

They didn't poison me. Overcharge me, or pour hot coffee on me. It was just bad service.

The show. Will go on.

The reflection is poor on HPH only as a byproduct of the waiters performance. I explained to the waiter the issue we took with him. Soley because it gave him opportunity to adjust his behavior. I could very well have left without speaking to either of them. I chose to advise them because it had the potential to making a positive difference.

If he continues to treat people in such a manner, and they are aware of it, and permit it. Then that's their business.

My business is giving patronage to a place that has good food, and adequate service. In that order.

2012 Aug 15

FF: I nominate that expedition for the September Foodie outing!

2012 Aug 15
I don't want to drag things, but just mention to something not talked about... I think it's a series of small circumstances, topped by what is clearly unacceptable behavious by wait staff.

HPH empty just before lunch rush seems maybe unusual? In that area? But nonetheless, I'd expect it to not stay empty. Ravi's colleague came in first, then Ravi came in and saw him "headed off towards the back left of the restaurant, I had no idea why and beelined for the window table." I'm curious Ravi, why would you not have an idea? Not a criticism - just an honest question. Normally most people stay at the door unless directed by waitstaff to a table, no? Thus I would think that is what happened and follow. Or else if I decided on another table, I'd inform my companion, and usually ask the waiter if we can sit there instead. In very few places do I expect that I can sit myself anywhere.

For most lunch crowds, I expect logistics are difficult for the waitstaff to juggle, and - this is purely personal - I never try to take a table for more than my group. If I'm one or two, I go for such tables - and expect to be directed to them.

But although this series of misunderstandings and personal decisions led to the situation, in no way does it excuse the waiststaff's behaviour in saying something odd, talking over someone and, when told the business is lost to the customer, suddenly say he's joking. Any wait staff who's so irked that he'll be sarcastic when someone does not follow their directions, especially before any lunch rush (and its attendant stress), is a disservice to the establishment. As Ravi mentioned above, any basic and courteous mention of "we're sorry, but we will need this table for groups during the lunch hour about to start" would have made him move without incident.

But I'm still curious about Ravi's thought process on why he couldn't figure out where the person entering before him and likely had interacted with waitstaff was going, and why he decided unilaterally to take a table without seemingly calling to his colleague. That puzzles me, because it's a different thought process than mine, and I'd simply like to understand. Thank you.

2012 Aug 15
@Johnny, first two rounds on me!

@Tracinho, agreed with much, esp the last paragraph and your analysis of the myriad mostly lazy and sloppy attitudes which lead to slovenliness.

@Johanna, I think you're being unfair to Westerners in those foreign countries, many of whom are probably tourists who we wouldn't expect to dine in their Sunday best while on vacation, esp if they're hippies or bohemians travelling for the second or third world experience.

Anyway, my mention of western civ was a criticism of how we've sunk in the area of manners, and not framed as a defense of ours vs. other cultures (I could care less how Cairenes act or dress when they go for a night out at TGI Fridays). Still, your post, especially the reference to my 'beloved western civ' betrays a resentment of said civ on your part, or did I misinterpret something?

2012 Aug 15
I know server's job is not easy one! I have worked with great servers, they are on top of everything, provide best possible service to the customers and they help cooks a lot. I feel really lucky when I can work with these great servers,they make my job so much easier.

I understand many students work as a server in summer for money, and it's not their career choice. Some don't even like their job, work just for monney. But I think it is too bad...working just for money! No matter what you do, you can earn more than you get paid, it all depends on how you see the job, as a life's experience or just getting $10.00/hour plus tip.

I personally would like to try HPH, I think will try them this weekend:)

2012 Aug 15
Bacon IV, I think you got the wrong thread.....

2012 Aug 15
oops

2012 Aug 15
@Niall,

I'm not a puppy, I don't follow people about. =D

But in all seriousness.

I enter an empty restaurant, my colleague tools off somewhere to the left.. I'm not his keeper. He's certainly permitted to use the washroom without taking my leave... I'll suggest the washroom was more likely to be in the back left than a seat of his choice.

He also could have seen somewhere useful to rest his wet umbrella.

I'm not totally oblivious to my surroundings, there was no indication he was going towards a table nor was the waiter standing near one he'd walked him to.

Until the waiter came over with the attitude, I had no idea about the seating suggestion. My colleague made no mention of us being relegated to the back of the place, until after the guy went off on him. As I said in my original post, I started to piece it together shortly after the waiters outburst.. and it was then my colleague told me about the seating suggestion.

You'll note my reference to his comment to the waiter about, the place being empty and if he needed, he was welcome to pull the other 2 seater away from us. My colleague obviously didn't take the seating suggestion as weighty or he'd likely have said something about my choice.

If you've been to this place, you'd get that it's not exactly some structured rigidly designed layout. All the tables and chairs don't match, the plates and cutlery are from thrift shops. The whole place has a feel of a 'public house' of the mechanicsville(now painted hintonburg) era. Where you probably couldn't outfit a place with anything worth stealing.

The last thing you'd expect is a seating nazi. For lack of a better description. Its way too Laissez-faire feeling.

Sometimes.. you really gotta take things at face value. There is no grassy knoll.

2012 Aug 16
Niall makes a worthy point. In the absence of a "Please Seat Yourself" sign, it is quite rude to walk into a full-service establishment and sit down at a table without any invitation from waitstaff.

2012 Aug 16
Wait, what? Are you telling me that it's not appropriate for me to stand at the door for minute surveying the entire restaurant, determine which waitress is the hottest and then make a beeline for her nearest free table?

What kind of a damn service industry is this? MY DOLLAR, MY CHOICE.

2012 Aug 16
I've sat myself to pre-empt seated customers who were audibly considering changing tables. My restaurant-fu is MIGHTY.