South Asia Festival [General]

2012 Aug 8
Just a heads up for those who arent aware of the festival this coming weekend. Always good food and entertainment.

India fest is also on.

2012 Aug 10
I'm a little confused as to why the new Festival of India has decided to go up against the traditional South Asian Festival. SAF is at Confederation Park and is free; FOI is at Lebreton and has an entry fee. I'll definitely visit the SAF, but I'm not so sure about the FOI.

2012 Aug 12
Pretty bizarre i know, i went yesterday....only 2 stalls for food...Aahar and Nupur, i was expecting more choices.

2012 Aug 12
Likewise, I went yesterday and was really disappointed. I had a chicken biryani from Nupur and it was pretty good, but it's a shame that there weren't more restaurants there. I also ran past the FOI site at Lebreton this morning and it's pretty small, it seems a shame that for whatever reason the two aren't combined.

I did take the opportunity to go back to the pop up patio with my wife and dog though, that really is a cracking spot to sit and have a beer in the sun. I didn't try the pizza but I love the little pizza oven on the trailer - will definitely have to go back again to give it a go. I encourage you to visit the patio, it would be great to make it sufficiently viable to come back next year. (I'm biased, it's ten minutes walk from my house and on my usual dog walking route!)

2012 Aug 12
" ... it seems a shame that for whatever reason the two aren't combined. "

Politics and historical hate runs deep.

Did King Solomon divide the baby and no one won ?

2012 Aug 12
What gibberish. The vast majority of people of Indian heritage, especially in the West, have no issue with identifying with South Asian culture. The main artist appearing at the South Asian festival is Canadian Indian. Indian community leaders and businesses make up a significant part of OSACA. I wish people would stop trying to see division and enmity where it doesn't exist.

It's just bad scheduling of a commercial project against a longstanding community event, and I'm disappointed in the NCC when they're the landlords at both sites and were in a position to prevent it happening. I've no problem with the FoI existing - I'm partly of Indian descent - but it's stupid pitting them against each other.

2012 Aug 12
Yes, I don't know anyone who is bothered by us being called south Asian. We're pretty good about geography, sadly I can't say the same about the Christopher Columbus lot and the whole natives and the indian confusion. Which shockingly still today results in comments about us, feathers and fire dancing. The Columbus bloodlines run thick it would seem!

Indians btw have a long history of splitting things up and making people run about. Diwali comes to mind here in Ottawa, where specific parts traditionally held at the Hindu Temple are now held at random places as well. Which results in families having to rush about town to attend both functions.

Sadly missed both events this weekend, would have been nice to have some fresh sweets.