Ignore your oven dial ! :-) [General]

2012 Aug 8
As someone who experimented with doing sous vide in a water filled pot in the oven, I can attest that this article is true. Oven temperatures are not accurate and there is a large hysteresis.

www.slate.com

2012 Aug 8
hah, on that note. don't trust your sous vide equipment either. My Sous Vide Magic failed, and on receipt back. It isn't calibrated properly. After owning this mess of cables, bubbler, and the controller. I'd buy a Sous Vide Professional. Single versatile, easy to store unit. ..

Anyhow. .back to your point. yes I agree as well.

2012 Aug 9
This is one thing I've noticed on our brand new stove, the relay flicks on and off much more rapidly, keeping the temps within a more narrow band (if my standalone thermometer is to be trusted). It doesn't seem to oscillate more than 15'F, way better than our old one that was often up to 70'F off target.

Now calibration, that's a whole other mess, but again the new stove has an easy adjustment for that, whereas the old one required mental math.

2012 Aug 9
In a sign of solidarity, I'm baking sausages in the oven at 400 instead of the recommended 350. Take that, oven manufacturers!