For sale : Juniper gift certiciate at discount [General]

2012 Aug 5
Hey folks, I received a $100 gift certificate for Juniper , but refashionista and I really do not have the slightest interest in going to this place. After hemming and hawing we just decided to sell it and go some place that we'd really like to go. We're going to go to Tennessy Willems instead, and follow it up with a few beers at Elmdale House

I'd like to get $90 for it but will consider offers if there are no takers at that price.

2012 Aug 5
Can the $100 be used against tax, tip and alcoholic beverages ?

2012 Aug 5
To the best of my knowledge it is just $100 to be used against anything. It was purchased with $100 in real money so I don't think they can put restrictions on it (by provincial legislation). It is not from one of those coupon sites.

My wife will chime in eventually with the definitive answer - I've never actually read it. But pretty sure she was saying it could be used for alcohol.

2012 Aug 5
I just hauled out the certificate and looked at it - there is no fine print so it is just $100 to be treated like $100 in cash by Ontario law

2012 Aug 7
Anyone know wheter I can just go get a refund for it?

It is a tricky situation since anyone who can afford to go to Juniper is really not going to care too much about saving 10 bucks. So I'm kind of screwed as far as that goes. I'm going to contact them and ask.

2012 Aug 7
I agree - the $10 is not enough incentive, but I doubt they will take it back.
Some ideas - Any chance you could go at lunch? I have had great food there at lunch and your gift cert would cover a great lunch.
When you speak to them ask if you could use it for take out. They do catering and they do a take out lunch. You could get a platter or two of something and have a party!

If all else fails, donate your cert to a registered charity and request a tax receipt for the $100. The credit you get is not like a deduction, but you would get a small reduction on your taxes. I worked at Bruce House and we used certs like that as prizes, raffles, volunteer appreciation - lots of things!
It would certainly be less irritating than selling it here for only half its value.

2012 Aug 7
Lunch menu is a good idea - looks reasonable. Though not possible to arrange this week while our older 2 boys are away at camp. Though that gives me an idea - maybe I can just go up to the bar and have a beer and pay with the certificate and get change back. Hmmmm.

I'm going to call today to see what they say about just getting a refund.

2012 Aug 7
It's totally worth going for lunch. $100 should be plenty. Don't deny yourself this pleasure, Zym!! :-)

2012 Aug 7
And after all this chat, we will want a full and detailed report!

2012 Aug 7
Well it won't be anytime soon - next window for a lunch there will be months in the future, sadly.

I'd honestly just prefer to sell it ... if someone will please take it off my hands :-)

2012 Aug 7
And after all this chat, we will want a full and detailed report!

2012 Aug 7

Zym, See your messages!

2012 Aug 7
Went there once with some important guests at the office and was quite pleased with the meal. Not something I`d pay for myself but I definitely did enjoy the meal. If you won that certificate (or somehow got it for free), it could definitely be worth a try..

2012 Aug 8
Certificate is spoken for - someone offered me $80 on their first offer and I'm taking it. Thanks for the other offers too - even though they were lowball I do respect that since I often do the same sort of thing :-)