800km Pizza [General]

2012 Aug 2
I just so happen to have found on my doorstep 3 king sized pizzas, all house specials (1 each Capri, Arcata, Armando's). I know there are a few SW Ontarians here... so I just had to gloat. For those who even know what I am talking about, I am strongly biased to the the Capri side of Dougall.

My 6 year old Ottawa native has decided that she never wants to eat a local pie again. She may have to as I doubt my stock will last until Christmas :)

2012 Aug 3
HHH I was addicted to Torino in Tecumseh for years, but last time I was in Windsor it had changed considerably. Will try Capri for sure next visit.

2012 Aug 4
Grimaldi's is only 712 kms

2012 Aug 4
Expats from my native Pictou County are always moaning about missing the pizza from there and that there is nothing else like it. I seem to recall thinking it is a puddle of grease but I'm willing to give it another shot when I'm there in a few weeks just to see how well my memory serves me.

2012 Aug 4
Not to mention the garlic fingers. Please do us proud, Zym.

2012 Aug 4
WTF, are you from Pecta Keowny?

2012 Aug 4
I believe you meant to say, "What's this all aboat?"

Pecta by birth twice removed? Honourary Nova Scotian? Maybe?

2012 Aug 5
Grimaldi's does look good. I didn't take any photos of my 108 slices of awesomeness, but to contrast the NYC pie, pizza from Windsor is a crisp charred thin crust, rectangular (when in queen or king size), with a spicy tomato sauce, light on the cheese, all toppings on top of the cheese. The pepperoni has lots of fennel and is cut in small strips like match sticks, all other toppings are diced or cut small, so they cook up really nicely.

Capri does so much expat (inc international) business that you can tell them in advance and they will parbake it and pack it for shipment.... personally I like it cooked by the masters... it travels well enough on its own.

2012 Aug 5
For square L&B Spumoni Gardens in Brookylin only a bit over 715 kms away? Second last stop on the N to Coney Island. Cheese is under the sauce next to the bread like crispy crust. This was a half pie with pepperoni and mushroom. Pepperoni was not as good as Grimaldi's.

2012 Aug 6
Tonight I ate an amazing thin crust pizza from a coal fired oven at "The Tuscan Oven" in Oneida NY about half an hour east of Syracuse. I have wanted to come back here since my first visit a year ago. Camera died, but I did post pics last year.

2012 Aug 8
Funny how all my buddies from Windsor area swear on the whole cheese on the bottom thing thin crust pizza whereas everyone up here loves our cheese on top thick crust lebanese pie. Found a place about 150 k east of here in point fortune right at the Ontario / dark side border , bar zoule does some crazy wood fired hybrids of the pairs we all love. Check it out next time you're heading to a habs game ,take the exit off 417 at the Quebec sign , go north about 3 k and there you are.

2012 Aug 8
Got the spelling wrong resto bar zool in point fortune

2012 Aug 8
My brother-in-law, who had an independent pizza restaurant for 35+ years, always put his cheese under the toppings so that the toppings would actually roast in the oven and not steam under the cheese. He's retired now but people still miss his pizzas and I now assemble mine the way he did.

2012 Aug 9
At home I always throw a thin layer of 'preliminary cheese' down before the toppings, then a further layer up top, tho certain toppings go on top of the cheese because they come out better that way.

That said, I'd set Ottawa's Tennesy Willems or The Grand against any other thin crust pizza out there.

For thicker crust tho i fear the local market doesn't blow me away, tho i'm fond of Papparazzi.