Ready cure salt [General]

2012 Aug 2
Hi everyone, I'm just wondering if anyone has any information on ready cure and what it's uses are in curing meats. I'm looking to do meat curing of beef , pork, venison , jerkey and smoked sausages. I'm new at this, so any advice would be great!
Thanks

2012 Aug 2
Well Andy, you're a butcher aren't you? You are supposed to be the one giving us advice on this!

EDIT: I strongly recommend you get yourself a book.

This one is considered 'the bible'

www.amazon.ca/dp/0393058298

2012 Aug 2
I would suggest this is a better book.

The Art of Making Fermented Sausages

I really like Polcyn's book but it does not have enough science in it to be anything more than a cookbook with recipes VS understanding the next level of detail

2012 Aug 2
Lol, Although I am a great butcher ;). I am newly starting to branch out into the art of curing. Living in a small town,  my resources are limited in the products that I can use to cure meat. So I would love to know what some of the methods are. 
Thanks for the responses, I'll definitely check both those books out.

2012 Aug 2
You can get started with mail order #1 and #2 cures, somecultures for fermenting and casings. Will keel you going a long time!

2012 Aug 3
#1 cure (i.e. i prague powder #1, or Insta-CureŽ ) for bacon of course - if you search this site you'll find at least one bacon thread with lots of details.