Val-David, QC [General]

2012 Aug 1
I will be spending a week near Val-David in August and am looking for restaurant suggestions for a special occasion celebration, although comments on any resto in the area will be appreciated as well. Thanks!

2012 Aug 1
Not a restaurant, but S.Bourassa is a grocery worth a visit not far from there. Great selection of oils etc., fresh produce, meats, cheeses and last time we went we bought a bunch of frozen fruit coulis in squeeze bottles. sbourassa.net/ag/index.php

2012 Aug 1
I recommend two...

Zebres - sort of a haut bistro menu, nice look, nice patio, went there w a group of 4 last year and enjoyed everything we had.

Auberge du Vieux Foyer - nice looking Inn w great restaurant and really good table d'hote.

Zebres is more classy, intimate and romantic of the two. Foyer more rustic charming.

And if you're around for breakfast, Petit Poucet is just wrong (in a good way).

2012 Aug 1
Okay - my post just vanished. Wanted to mention 3 places will do so briefly as I'm miffed :(

1 - Le Mouton Noir in Val-David. Think this is the name of the place. Great funky place for breakfast, lunch or to have a drink and listen to music at night. Some really great and well-known performers come through this place. Kind of like the Black Sheep in Wakefield but they have a busy and active restaurant scene. It's on the main street close to a little bridge over water.

2 - Saint Sauveur is only a 20 minute drive and they have a 3-5 block strip of all sorts of restaurants. One hip upscale place we tried was a Greek fresh fish/seafood place called Lezvos (429 Principale, St-Sauveur-des-Monts, QC J0R1R0, tel.: 450-227-4170) We had a great meal. Does anyone know this place? The format works very well for larger groups as it is very social sharing/family style type eating but we did fine with 2. Had an app of grilled calamari and then shared a fresh fish (can't remember what) with sides of lima beans in tomato sauce and greek rice. All this with 1/2 litre of sangria was about $100-120.

3 - Also ate at the "first" Chinese restaurant in the area. Good meal, prices a bit higher than chinatown in Ottawa but overall on par.

2012 Aug 5
Thanks everyone! I already had my eye on Zebres so that's top of the list. Will be in the area for a week and will try and hit up some of the other suggestions as well. Renting a house and usually do most of our cooking there but I feel like splurging this time.

Agree that Bourassa is a great grocery store. I always end up buying more than I need because there's just so much cool stuff.