Low fat is dead [General]

2012 Jul 29
May it rest in peace

grist.org

2012 Jul 29
Hooray! :-)

2012 Jul 30
i would like to declare and end to all "low this", "high that" diets.. in other words, any diet that puts an emphasis on a good or bad macronutrient.

a balanced diet should even everything out, and in the end, it's the number of calories that matter.

2012 Jul 30
Well what you are missing tourist is that there is an overwhelming body of evidence growing which suggest it is not just a matter of calories in the end. Some types of foods are better and worse than others.

2012 Jul 30
Exactly, zim! tourist consider the following two points:

* Some calories are more satisfying/filling than others, meaning you will eat fewer of them.
* Your body does not extract all the calories contained in a food.

So yes it's the number of calories that matter, but there are dietary choices that make cutting back on them easier and you can never really know how many calories your body will absorb.

2012 Nov 15
Bump - but this is still not the one I was looking for. There was an interesting expose out a few months ago that explained what happened in the 70s when there were 2 main theories about obesity - one around high fat and the other around high carb - and how high fat eventually won but hook or by crook as they say. It was a story of intrigue and seemingly misdoings by some large organisations who were heavily invested in carbs and stood to profit from villifying fat.

I'm sure I must have posted it, but I cannot find it now.