Purchase Mutton [Food/Vendor]

2012 Jul 25
I am looking for a place in town to buy mutton. I have a beautiful Kashmiri Rogan Josh recipe and I need mutton. Mutton = Sheep Kashmiris don't use lamb in this dish and I don't want goat (lol...I have read some past posts). the age of the age of the sheep gives mutton a robust, complex flavor that you just can't get out of lamb. I called the Indian grocer on Wylie and they recommended Olympia mart downtown, but... *whince* ...I don't think I even wanna call there. I am willing to go out to Mid-East Market on Belfast or Middle Eastern on Bank...but when I was there last week I didn't seen any mutton in their cases. I didn't look that hard at Sultan Market that day...I was looking for bulgar more than anything else when I was there.

Any ideas??

2012 Jul 25
There's a Jamaican/Caribbean market on Merivale near Clyde that may have some frozen mutton.

2012 Jul 25
You might try George's Meat mart @ 23 Selkirk. I don't know that they have mutton but it seemed like they had quite a bit beyond your average store last time I was in.

2012 Jul 25
I was at my doctors for an appointment and it was near the FreshCo on McArthur Rd. Went there to pick up some fruits and veggies and I think I saw some frozen mutton in the frezer.

2012 Jul 25
I would try Matar meat market on Bank south of Hunt Club. All halal meats...

2012 Jul 25
I bought some at the Lansdowne market last year. Can't remember the vendor name, but he had cubed stewing mutton in his freezer and it was advertised on his sign. Made for a great hearty mutton and barley soup.

2012 Jul 26
You can also try Thana Market on Bank St since it caters to the Sri Lankan market which uses mutton in several staple dishes (mmmm thinking about mutton kotu roti from Ceylonta now).

2012 Jul 27
Stuart S: The mutton at Ceylonta is goat, though, not sheep :)

2012 Jul 27
I can confirm that "mutton" means goat to a Sri Lankan so the situation at Ceylonta is no surprise. Sure, mutton comes from the French "mouton" but nobody ever said etymology has to make sense! ;-) Apparently, mutton commonly refers to goat in Pakistan and India as well (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goat).

This reminds me of the etymology of Vindaloo... the word comes from the Portuguese "vinha d'alho" (wine garlic). The really fascinating thing is that some Vindaloos (incorrectly) contain potatoes because "aloo" means potato in Hindi. (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vindaloo)

2012 Jul 27
Definitely frozen mutton at FreshCo on MacArthur.

2012 Jul 28
Thanks so much everyone!!! :0)

2012 Jul 31
I never realized it was goat at Ceylonta, thanks for the info guys. I grew up eating both goat and mutton so either way I still love it :)