canning supplies wanted [General]

2012 Jul 21
Anyone have a bunch of canning bottles that they're not using? Or know of anyone who's having a garage sale and has some? I've looked at a few stores, and I'm not happy about the prices... especially as I know that most people who have them, just don't use them! Also looking for any other canning accessories... looking to get into it pretty heavy this year so I can stock up come harvest time...

Alternatively, if you have any advice for a budding canner, I'd be much obliged!

Varied food interests i know, and the girlfriend keeps telling me I'm taking on too much at once, but it really helps kill the time i wasted from smoking lol...

2012 Jul 21
My mom get her canning bottles by buying the Classico jars (I add to the pile) and keeping the empties. Sometimes you can get the Classico on sale for $2 or 2.50..

2012 Jul 22
Hey.

If you are really looking to get into it pretty heavy this year, I've got an All American 941 pressure canner for sale. 350$ obo. www.allamericancooker.com

2012 Jul 22
And just FYI I've seen yan's canner and I think it is worth every penny of $350

It is pretty huge though ...

2012 Jul 22
Yah, a little too big for what I'm thinking... and a bit out of the budget, but thanks for thinking of me! I put up an ad on used ottawa and kijiji, hoping to find someone who bought stuff on a whim and never got around to using it... it happens all the time these days... this site was a long shot I figured. Yan, next year, when (hopefully) the weather isn't so dry and I get a (much) bigger harvest, I may need one that big..

For now, mostly tomatoes and such are coming out, so hot water bath is all thats necessary... everything else just seems to be coming in too slowly/ not big enough though i will be up to my ears in tomatoes soon... really ;)

2012 Aug 10
You don't 'need' a pressure cooker to do canning. You don't even need any really fancy equipment with the exception of proper jars/lids. That being said, you still need to be careful to take precautions. You mentioned tomatoes - the varieties we get nowadays have changed from those our grandparents used. They are not as high in acid. When canning tomatoes, make sure that the acidity level is high enough. If the type of tomato you are using has low acid or maybe has some kind of flaw, you'll need to add in some lemon or something to be on the safe side.

For more information: www.ext.colostate.edu

2012 Aug 11
Well you don't "need" to cook meat before you eat it either ... I'll leave it to you to fill in the rest

EDIT : you NEED to read a book. Canning is not something you should learn from someone especially from your grannie or someone similar. Sure, take a course from someone locally and get your grannie to show you what she does - but also read a book so you'll know whether or not that person's methods are considered safe by today's standards.

Here is a good free book from the US Department of Agriculture

nchfp.uga.edu

The latest guidelines were re-written in 2009 so any book older than that is not even good enough

2012 Aug 11
Hey Zymurgist, I agree we need to take precautions and be informed before canning.

That being said, I don't want anyone to feel like cost is a factor preventing them from maximizing garden yields, saving money, and eating healthy. I'm new to this forum and I'm on a strict budget after returning to university. Growing, eating direct from the garden, canning, dehydrating, and finding creative solutions to eating healthy and well is my primary focus.

I responded to this post because it specifically mentioned tomatoes. The acidity levels of contemporary varieties available is worrisome for the newbie. That's why I posted that URL link which goes over safety in more detail. The other reason was because cost was a factor.

My mother has been canning every year for decades without a pressure cooker, I've recently started doing it on my own.

I would LOVE to get a pressure cooker but I can't afford it. I still do canning without it but I take precautions. I don't can meat - I will wait for a pressure cooker before I start doing that. But tomatoes I continue to use - with precautions. I also tend to plant the more traditional varieties which have higher acid content. I don't have any fancy equipment except for an old roasting pot, oven gloves, and proper jars/lids.

In the end, I think we are saying the exact same thing. I think my mother, grandmother, and great grandmother's canning methods were terrific. We always ate well through the year from our garden harvest. We never got sick. My only concern these days comes from pesticides, chemicals, and new varieties that are not always appropriate for canning without adding extra vinegar etc.

2012 Aug 11
A pressure cooker is not the same thing as a pressure canner, and should not be used for canning. That's one of the first things a good book will teach you (along with why)

Most garden vegetables cannot be safely canned without a pressure canner, so it is not just a luxury, it is a matter of safety

I do not think we are saying the same thing at all because you seem to be saying that you learned canning from your mom and grannie and that's fine enough, and I am saying very clearly that it is not safe to learn canning from one's mom and grannie. I have the utmost respect for those who came before, but just because they are still alive does not mean their methods are safe.

2012 Aug 11
Okay my bad for using the wrong word. Forget I said anything - anyone canning with out using a pressure canner is endangering their safety. How I managed to live 38 years living on canned fruit and veg is a mystery. Back to the original post from Nukem - if you're looking for cheap supplies try hitting up the yard sales and the second hand shops like Agape or the Sally Ann/Salvation Army. They often have such things lying about. If you find the jars, then you just have to invest in the lids as they can only be used once. That is - if you can afford the pressure canner of course...

2012 Aug 11
Like I said - just because you are still alive does not mean your methods are safe.

Most people talking on cell phones while driving don't end up killing someone. It is still dangerous.

2012 Aug 11
Something else to consider is teaming up with someone else doing canning who already owns a pressure canner. Things like tomatoes are time consuming and nice to do with a friend, as it splits the work while providing some distraction. It's also a good opportunity to see proper modern canning methodology in practice, if you are new to canning yourself.

My grandmother is notorious for unsafe canning practices, even with my mother (who practices canning circa 1970 recommendations). We joke that the reason she has lived this long (94 next Spring) is because of repeated exposure to low levels of botulism. I can remember, as a child, not being allowed to eat certain foods at my grandmother's house, as per my mother's rules. ;)

2012 Aug 11
Yeah but even if you team up with someone who thinks they know what they are doing, you still need to read a book. Teaming up is a good idea for just demystifying the process and showing you the general mechanics, but you still need the book.

And I think it is funny your mom's view of your grandmother's methods, because I have the same view of your mom's methods :-) Goes to show you how the science of what is considered safe changes over the years. Kudos to her though for forbidding you guys from eating certain canned goods.

2012 Aug 11
refashionista and zymurgist.....you two are a riot!

2012 Aug 15
Saw a bunch of mason jars at Value Village. Many had rings most did not so it would mean buying tops and rings but they were 4 for $0.99 so, it could be worth it to you to stop in.