Road Tripping...New England [General]

2012 Jul 12
Happy Mouth is on the move at the end of the month! Road tripping though New England will take us to Burlington, VT., Portland ME., Boston, MA, Providence, RI., Saratoga Springs, NY. and Lake Placid, NY. Suggestions on sights and food welcome!

2012 Jul 12
I was in Vermont last fall - some of these are from my research on Chowhound/Road eats etc.

Waterbury
Hen of the Wood (just off exit 10 on I-89)
www.henofthewood.com
The Alchemist
Juniper's Fare (at the junction of routes 2 and 100) Breakfast

Burlington
Sky Burger
Big Fattys
Penny Cluse Cafe - breakfast

The Farmhouse Tap and Grill

August First off Main for their Hungarian Sweet Rolls
Nunyun's Cafe for the lemon bars
Panadero's for their fruit tarts
Mirabelle's

Saturdays - Farmers Market in downtown square

2012 Jul 12
Burlington, VT: Buffalo Wild Wings. OK, not very sophisticated but a great sports bar and wings with every imaginable sauce or rub.

Portland, ME: Emilitsa on Congress. The best resto in the city. Fantastic Greek place, very gracious host/owner John and chef/owner Taki, outstanding private import wines. The Standard Baking Company near the harbour. Whatever you do, avoid Margaritas for Mexican.

If you're in the Old Orchard Beach (OOB) area, you must hit Jimmy the Greek for brick oven pizza and some of the 50 beers on tap. A little west of OOB in Biddeford centre, Mia's on Pepperell Square might be the best resto in Southern Maine outside Portland. If you find yourself in the Sanford area inland, you want to go to the House of Pizza, my favourite pie anywhere.

At Camp Ellis beach in Saco, Huot's has good seafood, lobster rolls, curly fries, etc. The Hannaford supermarket downtown Saco (route 1) has tons of delicious baked goodies and good coffee for a quick breakfast. (Aside, in case you'll be doing some beaches, honky tonk OOB has all the action, fried doughboys, greasy slices from Bill's or Lisa's, cotton candy, the midway Palace Playland. Camp Ellis is kinda small and quiet. I think they have fireworks from the OOB pier every Thursday night. Goose Rocks beach west of Saco is very nice as is Kennebunkport, the water is warmest in the latter, and quite wavy and fun.)

Boston: Regina Pizzeria in Little Italy. Worth a 1/2 hour wait which is common. You can eat at the bar. Mike's Pastry for a huge cannolo, $2.50 apiece. Atlantic Fish Company is one of the best, lots of nice patios in that area of Boylston in the Back Bay. Anything lobster. But everything at AFC is good. The Eastern Standard is good too, close to Fenway on Commonwealth, very nice dining room. Avoid Brasserie Jo in the Copley area, worst (pseudo) French resto ever. In Cambridge, at Harvard Square is a good cafe called Au Bon Pain. Good pastries, bread, sandwiches. very efficient ordering system, lively patio area.

Have a nice trip!

2012 Jul 12
arrows restaurant in ogunquit maine, near portland is amazing. higher end though...but massive garden where they grow their own veg. sort of reminds me of les fougeres, but nicer.

2012 Jul 12
Burlington, VT:
------------
American Flatbread (americanflatbread.com/) is good for pizza.

For picking up local food/beer/cheese etc. you can visit the City Market (www.citymarket.coop/) or the Fresh Market (www.freshmarketgourmetvt.com/).

Portland, ME:
-----------
The Standard Baking Co.

Harbor Fish Market (www.harborfish.com/) - watch the seals and pick up something to cook for dinner.

We also second the recommendation for Huots.

Boston:
------
Legal Seafood is a bit of a cliche, and pretty expensive, but the food is good.

I suggest poking around Concord and Lexington if you have time and want to get out of the centre of the city. The Cheese Shop in Concord (www.concordcheeseshop.com/) has interesting things to buy for home and is good for take away (sandwiches etc.). The Minuteman Historical Park is interesting for the kids (www.nps.gov/mima/index.htm) (and adults too).

Lake Placid, NY:
-------------
Lake Placid Pub and Brewery (www.ubuale.com/) is worth it for both the food and beer.

Blues Berry Bakery (www.bluesberrybakery.com/)

Caffe Rustica (www.cafferustica.com/)

2012 Jul 13
Drove through providence and stayed outside it in Glendale but loved Newport! If you can fit Newport in for a day trip with its cliff walk, mansion and seafood in, I would highly recommend it.

half hr outside Providence near north Smithfield or Burrilville
bellarestaurantandbanquet.com
Have great Italian food that is compariable to the best of Federal hill in Providence. My friends highly recommend the lobster ravioli and prix fix menu.
Open for lunch Fri and Sun and dinner Tues-Sun (closes at 8pm)

Legal Seafood in Boston is alway a decent choice (a chain but a well done one) and I like their clam chowder. I often have it at Boston aiport.

If you are planning to go to Cape Cod or might be willing to take a detour near New Bedford to Mattapoisett
www.oxfordcreamery.com/

Depending on your routing Brattleboro VT might be worth a stop for a meal and a hike in the park but could not remember the name of the restaurant we went to.

2012 Jul 13
HappyMouth,

Try to get some Clam cake in RI or MA if you can.. They are basically Clam fritters but so good.

www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1845,153164-234197,00.html

2012 Jul 13
If you want to know what really good donuts should taste like, hit Allie's donuts in North Kingstown Rhode Island. It can be a little hard to find but SO worth the detour. I am not a jelly donut fan, but in addition to cake and yeast raised donuts of many varieties, their jelly donuts are killer. www.roadfood.com

2012 Jul 13
You haven't eaten in Maine until you've fought a seagull off with a lobster claw to protect your lunch. :-) Make a trip to a lobster shack. Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster was a favourite on my trip a few years ago:
www.travelandleisure.com

In Portland, Food Factory Miyake is a great place creative, high end sushi with a local ingredient twist.

Also in Portland, Novare Res is a good spot to try fancy microbrews from around the world.

2012 Jul 13
If you make a stop on Olgonquit. ME, check out the Harbour candy shop. Everything is made made there and the turtles and the peanut butter cups are amazing

2012 Jul 13
A second vote for Newport. Took my mum and dad there a couple of months ago, it was a lovely place with lots of good eateries.

For a real New England food experience, there's a bar and seafood restaurant that overlooks the harbour at Narragansett - the chowder and lobster are amazing.

2012 Jul 13
My friends from RI recommended Flos Clam shack in Newport after the fact :(

I had dinner at Moorings and it was very decent food. The bag of donuts (3 different types of seafood fritters) was excellent and crab cakes were very good. The fish tacos was pretty medicore 2 tacos with very small piece of cod each whereas the scallop chowder was okay.

Been told of other nice places such as Tallulah on Thames, Bouchard, Pour Judgement, etc. If you rent accomodation with kitchen facilities, the lobster shack off the boatworks on Long wharf is excellent for fresh lobster and crabs.

2012 Jul 13

If your trip through Vermont takes you on I-89 , an excellent restaurant in Montpelier, VT is Sarducci's www.sarduccis.com. Wonderful food, good prices, friendly service, and a pretty view.

Also, if your travel takes you such that you are driving to/from Boston from Vermont or New Hampshire, the rest stops on the I-93 between the I-89 and Mass. include The Barn. No that's not the real name but they are these big red buildings that are actually well-stocked liquor stores. Because NH has either low or no sales tax, it's not only good selection but also at an excellent price.

2012 Jul 13
Al Forno in Providence is definitely worth a visit and make sure you save room for the grand cookie finale, which, the night we were there was a towering assortment of sweets, chocolates and cookies for sharing. www.alforno.com/index.php

2012 Jul 13
And not far from Boston in Essex Mass is Woodman's. www.woodmans.com/ you can get takeout boxes of deep fried lobster tail that is out of this world!

2012 Jul 15
Here is our route. We leave August 29th. If you wish to, you can follow along on our blog, www.Happymouth.ca. We won't post entries here.

2012 Jul 15
Er... could you please post entries here? :)

2012 Jul 15
I am reluctant to do that Snoopy Loopy. Some people on this site get annoyed when you post blog entries here. I started this thread because many people on here travel and as you can see are a good source of info, and have been very helpful in planning this road trip. Also I am reluctant because these entries will not be Ottawa related. Thoughts people?

2012 Jul 15
If you are referring to me, I only get annoyed when someone posts teazers here to try to draw people to their blog for the whole thing. It would be great IMO if they could post the whole thing here even if it had a link to the whole blog entry (where one might find more photos or something, since photos are more difficult to post here)

That's the way I do my blog cross posts anyway. The whole thing here with a link to the original

2012 Jul 15
Please post here. IMO - A snapshot review of the food/restaurants and a link to your blog - where you have more have detail- would be ideal.

I follow your blog and have used it many times as a source for travel and recipes.

2012 Jul 15
No not just you lol...I noticed it when I was new to the site, before starting a blog. I have seen thumbs down when people have posted the entire entry as well. Personally I feel if I post enough of the entry to give people enough info about what the post is about, they can pop over to read more. It is just a click, and another click to come back here. And if you are not interested in the topic, don't visit. I do want people to visit my blog and hope they find other stuff they like. I post about our travels and our own kitchen experiences. Stuff that does not belong on the Foodies site. I'm not really sure what the issue is even when people post teasers to get you to their blog. If I'm interested I'll visit, if not, I'll pass. I understand if people are annoyed at people who come on here to sell things and don't contribute, but area bloggers do tend to contribute and they ain't making any money. I started the above thread to gather some intel. I figure people who are interested in road tripping or the area will follow along. And like I said, because it is not specifically Ottawa related, I probably would not post the entries here. Still Zymurgist, I am really unclear on why even posting teasers offends you. I simply ignore stuff I'm not interested in. The thumbs down has scared a lot of people away that would maybe have contributed a lot to this site. I'm sure we lost Dr. Dan yesterday. And who could blame him? It's a community. You share what you think others will enjoy or be interested in and you learn whose opinions you trust over time. Not everyone likes or agrees with everybody, so ignore what you are not interested in. In my opinion the thumbs down creates a negative environment.

2012 Jul 15
It doesn't really offend me - I just have so little left to be ornery about I need to keep one or two things that I hold on to :-) As I already mentioned I have not thumbed you down in some time. I think I'm over it.

As for Dr Dan I think the golden rule of USENET still applies today - spend some time just reading a new newsgroup/site before posting anything in it. Get a flavour for the place. Of course, I broke that rule on this site and committed a faux pas. But I'm still here.

I think the responses should have been enough to get him / her to come back. Even mine which got thumbed down was actually (if you take 2 minutes to read it) and invitation to stay. Whereby I said (essentially) "look at this other person Happy Mouth Blog and follow their good example and you'll be OK")

2012 Jul 16
Happy Mouth,

I think at a minimum, you should give feedback here on the places you tried that other Ottawafoodies recommended.

A summary of restaurants you tried and maybe a rating with comment on something especially outstanding could be interesting and if others want to read more they can go to your blog.

2012 Jul 16
Excellent suggestion Foodtravel, especially when the suggestions of places to try originate with people on here. I'd like a general comment or two to close the loop.

2012 Jul 26
We leave this Sunday. I will post a paragraph and a picture and a link. I will make note if the entry contains something recommended here. Thanks for the feedback and suggestions guys. You have been a big help planning this trip :)

2012 Jul 26
Can't wait, I'm headed to NE in September, I'll be watching for your posts.

2012 Jul 27
I forgot to add: Brian Boru in Portland for drinks, live music, and food. I made it under the wire around 10pm for a good pulled pork and great fries, noshing at the bar, with a Shipyard Summer on tap. Lively upstairs patio. Friday afternoons/evenings they have a street art festival along Congress.

2012 Jul 29
Many thanks to LoveToEat for the recommendation for the FarmHouse Tap and Grill in Burlington, VT. We LOVED it!

Excerpt:
"The Farmhouse Tap and Grill is immediately comfortable, with a hip college vibe, but is populated with couples young and old, and young families with well-behaved little ones. This does not appear to be a hangout for students. Maybe they come later - it's only 6pm. We decide to eat inside as the day is still quite hot. The Farmhouse, open in front with raised glass garage doors, has a breezy, pleasant atmosphere. Decor is chalkboard hipster with distressed wood tables, chairs and padded benches. No annoying music of any kind. Good date kind of place.

The menu at Farmhouse is small, eclectic and makes use of the best local product. The beer menu is extensive and unique. It includes a $45 Brooklyn Black Ops. Our server brings us an unexpected amuse bouche of asparagus in a mustard vinaigrette, incorrectly labeled aioli. This is the only misstep in the entire meal. Our server though barely shaving, is subtly charming and very knowledgeable. The menu features Vermont cheeses and we wish to choose a combination that is not offered. Not a problem. He goes over our beer choices with us, Doghead Fish Festiva Peche, a sour wheat beer with a hint of peach and Allagash, a Belgian white, and is able to comment intelligently. We also order the house made pickled vegetables."

...read the rest here:

New Post: To Burlington VT. Day one of Road Trip 5 is in the books! A beautiful day for driving and an excellent meal and craft beers to finish it off. And, oooh! The Sunset!
happymouth.ca/?p=7287

2012 Jul 30
I'm so glad you liked it. I was only there for lunch last year, but the menu looked great.

2012 Jul 30
Blubarry, we're going to get to Woodman's tomorrow. it looks excellent.

Today we dis the drive from Burlington to Portland, ME. Lots of seafood. Started with a Mexican/Californian inspired brekkie at the Spot, a surfer-style joint in Portland and then we hit the road.

Found a great little clam and lobster shack just as we go to the Maine coast, and capped the day in Portland with a highly recommended dive called J's Oyster. Whew... great day!

New Post - The road to Portland, ME. Lobster, clams, lobster and, uh, lobster.
happymouth.ca/?p=7341

2012 Jul 31
Happy mouth so jealous of your access to fried lobster tail! There are TONS of clam shacks in the area of Woodman's IIRC, so you will definitely have some choices to make. Enjoy!

2012 Jul 31
Blubarry. We went to Woodman's today and LOVED it... WOW!

Here's a excerpt from today's post:

"Today we are traveling to Boston via Essex and Salem. We sail into Essex, MA along Route 1. We are stopping at the renown Woodman's for lunch. It is unassuming, well... for a large seafood shack in Massachusetts bedecked in flags.

You lineup and order from a chalkboard menu, go to a separate line and get drinks, in this case a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat Beer, and find a seat to wait for your number to come up.

Our meal arrives in a box top and take out containers. Absolutely decadent, over stuffed lobster rolls on eggy, griddled buns served with potato chips, and the most perfect, sweet, lightly battered and fried sea scallops and clam cake. One look at the picture of the lobster roll and you will die just a bit because you are not here. I have never had scallops that fresh and perfectly made."

New post: from Maine to Massachusetts. A unique breakfast dockside and the best of New England seafood.
happymouth.ca/?p=7394

2012 Jul 31
yumm.. The lobster roll and clam cakes brings back memories. Those look great.

2012 Aug 1
Glad you enjoyed it, and glad to see Woodman's still offers their incredible fried lobster tails, although they are now $26.95. Well worth it, as the only other place I've seen them wanted $70 for a similar portion...

2012 Aug 2
Dinner in the North End for Italian tonight.

Here's an excerpt and photos from our posting:

"Dinner tonight is in the North End, famous for Italian food. We have 7:00 reservations at Al Dente. The North End is quaint with narrow streets and small tratorrias and gelaterias.

Al Dente is a small place seating about 60. It is busy, very loud and cramped. It feels like you are eating at a big Italian family event. Classic white Italian loaf and butter packets arrive with menus. Service is understandable harried but friendly. Our Barolo is delivered to the table and poured into cheap red wine glasses. I kind of expected tumblers but this is typical.

We want to try a few things so we order the lobster ravioli starter and the caprese salad. Both are large portions for starters. Four large lobster and ricotta stuffed ravioli swim in a decadent cream rose sauce with more chunks of lobster and fresh garlic and tomatoes...and Parmesan cheese. Take that Scott Conant, of the school of "it's wrong to serve cheese with seafood". The caprese is almost classic but has the addition of red onion which does not add to the delicateness of this already perfect combo. The tomatoes tonight are average, the fresh mozzarella is thick cut and rounded out by a balsamic syrup reduction and a chiffonade of fresh basil.

For mains I order the shrimp and calamari fra diavolo and Rob orders the gnocchi with sausage. My linguine is perfectly cooked and there is a very nice heat from chili peppers. The calamari is plentiful, the shrimp are not. The portion is huge. I can only eat about 1/3.

Rob's gnocchi is served in a plum tomato sauce with sundried tomatoes, capers, basil, pecorino romano and Parmesan cheese, mushrooms and white wine with addition of plentiful 1 1/2-ince slices of sweet sausage. The richness of the cooked-down tomatoes is multiplied by the sun-dried tomato and cheese. The whole dish is meaty, hearty and substantial. So substantial, that he could manage only half."

Al Dente was great... A real family vibe... Noisy, raucous, in fact, and the food was great, home-cooked Italian-American.

Here's a link to the complete post:
New Post: Boston's history, it's ghosts and the North End.
happymouth.ca/?p=7479

2012 Aug 3
Today's post is about Mike's City Diner and the Providence Oyster House:

"This morning is our last morning in Boston. We are moving on to Providence, RI. Before we go we are going to have breakfast at Mike's City Diner, a Diners, Drive-ins and Dives featured joint. We once again luck into parking out front but have to hunt down American change for the meter. Boston still resides in the dark ages regarding meter technology.

Mike's is clean and homey. A classic no frills or kitsch diner. Black and white and checks. Comfy, padded, armless chairs and tables. No banquettes. Banquette seating takes away some of the versatility a place has to seat parties of different sizes. The busy kitchen is visible from the seating area. The restaurant's various and many accolades are posted everywhere. President Clinton has been by.

Rob goes out to feed the meter and I peruse the menu. A very good breakfast menu. Good variety. Our server delivers excellent coffee and a humongous glass of grapefruit juice. Rob gets back to the table and we place our orders. I'm getting the Mike's Special - ham carved off the bone, two eggs over medium, grits, toast - coffee included. Rob wants Mike's Famous Pilgrim Sandwhich - turkey, stuffing and cranberries only to be told they don't serve it until eleven. "I know - we suck!" says our waitress...lol. He settles for a Southender omelette stuffed with corned beef hash and cheese with home fries and rye toast.

Breakfast arrives quickly and piping hot. My eggs are perfect but the grits while creamy, are unseasoned. I add butter and salt but they really need to be cooked with LOTS of salt. So I would pass on them. My ham is plentiful and very tasty, sliced thin and grilled on the flat top for a little carmelization. It's not over-salty. Perfect. The toast is decent, white and buttered. I ask for jam and she delivers really good homemade strawberry. "It's all we have, except for packets of grape jelly" she says. It is wonderful.

Rob's omelette is huge. The eggs are perfect and buttery good and hash inside is amazing, with large chunks of meat mixed with potato, while the cheddar flavour ties it all together. A very well made omelette. Mike's home fries are very good as well. Some of the best we've had. They seem to be simply spiced with seasoned salt. Delicious."

...To read more:
New Post: From Boston to Providence, RI. Spectacular diner classics and KILLER lobster mac and cheese
happymouth.ca/?p=7509

2012 Aug 4
Thanks for the latest updates. Boston is one of my favourite places.

2012 Aug 4
That is crappy that the Pilgrim Sandwich is only served after 11:00! It's totally post-Thanksgiving hangover breakfast food!

2012 Aug 4
Is it possible that the best fried chicken in the world comes from upstate New York? It just might, especially with the Pedigree of the place we went to.

We showed up on the biggest weekend in Saratoga Springs, starting the horse racing month of August with a yearling auction on Monday. We got the last room in the city, and happened upon a beautiful town in full swing.

New Post: Saratoga Springs - Great mexican food and perhaps the best fried chicken we've ever had.
happymouth.ca/?p=7542

2012 Sep 11
beable,

Thanks for the recommendation. Stopped by Sarducci's in Montpelier in VT for dinner on way down to Boston for Labour Day.

Great service, wonderful chewy bread with warm garlic infused olive oil and very good food in general with a disclaimer. Stick with the italian favourites. Others had pasta and all raved about them.

1) Ravioli di Spinaci:
Spinach ravioli baked in a cream, mushroom and garlic sauce, topped with mozzarella

2) Pollo al Forno:
Baked penne with smoked chicken, parmesan, mozzarella, gorgonzola,portobello mushrooms, purple onions, mozzarella

3) Scampi e Cape Sante:
Breaded jumbo shrimp and scallops baked in our wood burning oven with a lemon, butter and garlic sauce. Served with linguine.

I choose the tuna nicoise special and it was a basterdized version. The tuna was nice and tasty but they were not thinly sliced but was a large piece of tuna cut in half diagonally. The salad green was some romaine leaves but they put on 4 sizable scoop of egg salad with lots of mayonnaise and olive instead of sliced egg and omitted green beans and potatoes altogether. Green bean is one of my favourite part of tuna Nicoise, especially when they are farm fresh. I commented to the waiter that it was not the tuna nicoise I was expecting and he said it was their chef's take on it... A pretty off take on a classic dish. The mayonnaise basically negated my desire to eat lighter.

Service was friendly and it has a nice waiting/seating area outside with some sculpture/carvings.

2012 Sep 14
Brando's subs Haverhill Mass.
A great local joint, hugh healthy subs. . . . .

2012 Sep 16
Ask locally wherever you go for the best local donuts. Guaranteed they will all impress you if all you've experienced is Timmy's or Suzy Q.