Dieu du Ciel [General]

2012 Jul 9
We went to Montreal to Dieu du Ciel's Brewpub on Laurier late yesterday afternoon for a meetup with m'boy and a drinkup of DDC's offerings - I managed 4, including Cousteau, a tasty cask pale ale, a Pénombre, a roasty, toasty black IPA, a Route des Épices, a spicy, peppery beer that my son had enjoyed immensely the night before, and I ended the evening with a fave, their Péché Mortel, the creamiest, tastiest beer in the country, a very lovely chocolatey coffee stout. They ran out of 3 of the 17 beers they had listed on a board while we were there, including the blanche that I had just ordered at one point. We also had a decent snack and a dinner there, then headed out for a tour of local dépanneurs to buy up a trunkload of Quebec beers. Thanks to the water-drinking missus we made it home safe and sound. I highly recommend just such an outing.
I asked our server when DDC would be opening in Gatineau and he said when they have enough money! Oh were that ever to happen area beer drinkers would be most enjoyably rewarded.

2012 Jul 12
When last in the area I finally noticed the DDC brewpub, must stop by! Did you find the dep just a block or two down Laurier, with the Wall O Quebec Beers?

2012 Jul 12
Do stop in - they have a really good variety of good beers. The place is busy and noisy as all heck - the street patio is the place to be if you can snag a seat.

And yup, we hit your "Wall O Quebec Beers" store just down Laurier Niall, and bought enough beer that my dw has since started making comments about what we could do with all the money that goes to propping up various gov'ts and breweries. Cheers my dear!

Last night I had a spring 2011 Doppelbock from lestroismousquetaires.ca/ - massive flavours that I really enjoyed but too sweet for my liking. What a shame! I feel bad for not liking sweet beer. I have high hopes for their Porter Baltique and hope they are realized.

Wouldn't you just love having a DDC brewpub to go to in Gatineau, Niall? We deserve it, I say. And I would be pleased to drive past Mill St. on the way to it!

2012 Jul 12
Certainly one of the best in Canada. A good night in Montreal is a quick stop at Fairmont for an all dressed (the perfect base) and on to DDC for the drinks. The Montreal formula of loads of beer and cheap snacks is a winner. Forget your carnitas and mussels, just give me a bag of Miss Vicky's or a few olives for a couple bucks.

Not necessarily a comment on the beer, but I think I like Benelux better than DDC as far as Montreal brew pubs go. Seems more relaxed, and the location is more convenient.

The 3M Porter is a classic, but I just don't appreciate the style (thankfully not as trendy as it was a couple years ago).

DDC and other Quebec beers have been starting to spring up in more and more Ontario bars, but their focus has always been the US. Oddly, Ontario seems to be getting more and more BC beers, a much better prospect IMHO, they're generally more consistent with really great takes on classic styles.