Ode to the pig... [General]

2012 Jul 9
I am starting to prefer the utilitarian nature of a pig over other animals in the diet. Though there is nothing like a piece of rare beef on a hot summer nite! Anyways here are some pics of recent pig exploits....

2012 Jul 9
Lard from the fat off of the pig. Next time I will keep the lief fat separate for rendering and use in pie crusts. Hope to find me a lard press at an auction one weekend. Ended up with 2 liters of lard last time and use it as a start of most things in the frying pan.

2012 Jul 9
Fortunately for me Smoker Guy was not home the other day and his son sold me his Bradley for a crisp $20 bill. Here it is loaded with stuffed beef casings for a Genoa Salami. Used a Ranco digital controller on it to control the temperature of the Bradley.

2012 Jul 9
There is nothing quite like the smell of fermenting pork on the front porch.....mmm, tangy. Temp is set to be 90F and after 1 day of fermenting, the color is changing. Plan to leave it in for another 24 - 48 hours before hanging to dry. BTW Michael Ruhlman & Brian Polcyn are coming out with a new book this summer and can't wait, Salumi!

Next project I think will be some lessons from Smoker Guy on pulled pork. I have a few in the freezer and I forsee a weekend of homebrew and pulled pork experimentation. Somehow I do not think he will resist the idea. Have to confess my first couple attempts at pulled pork were not so great.

2012 Jul 9
Nice!

2012 Jul 10
Geez not only did he take your 20 bucks , he cashed in all my empties as well! Looks good krusty ,I'm sure I can drop by one night for a sampling of your salami and some more of your brew.

2012 Jul 10
Nice work Krusty. I would think Salami is a lot more work/difficult than pulled pork. Pulled pork is pretty easy - I made 3 from the last pig. Use a good rub (I like Meathead's Memphis Magic dust - with a bit more pepper/mustard and a little less salt/sugar). A nice injection doesn't hurt, but with your pigs you have more than enough fat to keep things moist. Otherwise 5-6 hours of smoke, and around 8 hours or more at 225. Just keep waiting until the meat hit 195- 200. The last batch I did, didn't make it there after almost 12 hours (I hit around 180), and I had 24 hungry people to feed, so switched it up to chopped pork instead of pulled.

Nice baby pig btw - would love to the kids to see him, but we are packing up for trip west.

2012 Jul 10
Wait, I'm a bit confused... Krusty, do you actually raise your own pigs? And congrats on the salami! Genoa is one of my favs, so im a little jealous I must say... haven't got a set of cohones big enough to try something like that yet...

2012 Jul 10
Nukem, one of the most important things I got from my MBA was great friends who are excellent cooks. Some of them make their own sausages,fermented, dried or not and got me into it. Pretty much any book you read on the topic will tell you you must have a good pasture raised animal to start with so I started to raise my own pasture pigs as I did not know anywhere to get them at the time. They are by far my fav animal on the homestead.

As for making salami it is super easy and not as difficult as I thought. Since you are basically fermenting raw pork at 70F - 95F you need to be diligent and the safety precautions need to be followed but man there is nothing like your own fresh fermented meat. Dried of course. Its like going to your own local butcher in Europe. I am not a guru at it by any sense, but the results are very palatable.

Sourdough et el: when you put the pork shoulder in the smoker, is it on the rack? foil under it? etc? so you finish it in the smoker with no smoke or the oven? Either way I suspect I should be a man of honor and return the smoker at some point but if Smoker Guy does not need it back this weekend it could become a weekend of pulled pork.

Will peruse other comments on the subject in other threads. Oh and the little orange/black pig is a recent litter of a Tamworth/Berkshire cross. They are just starting to roam the yard in a pack of 10 and cute as heck to watch.

2012 Jul 10
Hey Krusty you're good to go with pulled pork this weekend, I won't be using the Bradley for a couple of weeks. I can drop some wood pucks off this week for you. Looking forward to trying your salami , pretty impressive.

2012 Jul 10
Krusty,

Nice looking salamis... Where are our samples?

2012 Jul 11
Krusty, I do the pork on the rack in the bradley. A couple of pointers:
1. Preheat Bradley
2. Let pork come up to room temp if you can
3. Make sure the water/drip bowl is full of hot water.
4. Smoke for 4-6 hours, I like the vent about half open.
5. After 4 hours, change the water/drip bowl, refill with hot water.
6. When you think you are done with the smoke:
6a. Wrap in foil and put back in Bradley or oven at 225 until thermometer registers at least 190.
6b. If you like more bark (I do) leave in the bradley, no foil until thermometer registers at least 190.

It seems to always take longer than I plan for the pork to get to temp - give your self time. Foiling will help speed up the process, but you loose some bark. The most important step in all this is not listed. At around 2 hours, have a beer, once you've changed the water have another. Once you've turned off the smoker elemement, sit back with more beer. Don't over do it until you know your smoker is off :)

2012 Jul 14
Some unruly kids at supper!

2012 Jul 14
Today made 3 roasts into pulled pork. 3 different rubs, one from the Bradley forum and that was a dud. Edible but not the best. Did the bone dust rub as suggested and that was choice #2. Also did one using the rub from amazingribs.com and it was by far our fav. Would use it again in a heartbeat. Also made their vinegar sauces and their vinegar slaw. I am not fond of mayo slaw and this one made me super happy.

Smoked for 10 hours and you can see there was little difference in appearance between them.

One thing though after 10 hours they did not come close to 190F and I know I should have waited. Did not pull apart a I would have liked but the flavor was delicious!

What alternatives are there to get to 190F in a reasonable timeframe? I may smoke it and then tent foil in the oven, or should I just tent foil in the bradley instead till desired temp?

2012 Jul 15
@Krusty: I just watched your video above and would like to point out that it is my experience that nipples shouldn't make that noise. Perhaps you should check into that.

2012 Jul 15
Krusty, Again, massively jealous! I wish I had the space to raise my own animals. For now, I have to be content with veggies, but some day for sure! Do you sell any of that amazing looking pork? And how do you get over the cute factor when it comes time to "harvest"? also, just out of curiosity, is it true that roast piglet is much sweeter?

2012 Jul 15
I do usually have pork available to buy. Depends what you are after.

The animals are cute and as much as I love meat I have no desire to kill them myself. I know in the end they had a good life....good food, a place to run and play with other animals and an ear scratch when needed. It makes you respect food all the more when you get to know them. There has only been 1 pig I was happy to get rid of and Zym got half of him.

These piglets are all spoken for. I am surprised at how fast they sold but come the fall litter I will raise most of them myself and the plan is to roast one little one too. Never had a small one before.

2012 Jul 15
I'll happily supply the smoker for the piglet adventure, but may I also suggest baking it in sand like they do in hawaii? i've only heard of it, but i believe it involve hot coals and being buried... it'd take a lot less time with a wee piglet!

We'll have to talk meat as well as cheese should we get a chance to meet!

2012 Jul 15
www.foodnetwork.com

I was thinking something like that, only on a much smaller scale... could be interesting...

2012 Jul 16
ohhh.. Kalua Pork from an imu is fantastic. The ceremony when they bring it out is a lot of fun..

This should be interesting for those interested about authentic kalua pork from someone in Kauai, my favourite island.

www.tastingkauai.com

2012 Jul 16
Am not so good on laid back vacations and prefer outdoor activity based vacations instead. One of them was surfing in Hawaii and had a chance to dine on Kalua pork and it was quite nice! Though seems like much work and I think my first whole pig will be on my barrel rotisserie.

2012 Jul 16
Doing it in a cinder block pit is pretty easy ... see photos on this thread from Big Strange New Brunswick Brew a few years ago

Forum - BSNBB- Weekend Forgy

2012 Jul 17
"2. Let pork come up to room temp if you can "

If you want a nice smoke ring don't do this. The colder the product going on the smoker, the longer the surface is subjected to smoke particulate sticking to the meat and the smokier the finished product.

You can do butts at higher temps, and foil through the stall at 150, but I've found cooking the butt at lower temps for longer produces the best results. You want to get to 195 AND be probe tender. I've done nearly 100 pounds since the summer started and generally I'm going for 15 hours at 225 to render all the fat and connective tissue out and get super tender but moist pulled pork. Holding for at least an hour in foil in a cooler is a must, IMO.

I've got a WSM with a BBQ Guru so I have no issues with overnight cooks...I just set the controller to 225 and walk away from the cooker. I'd be happy to do a butt for you the next time I fire it up (which will probably be on Wednesday night)...just send me a messag to let me know.

2012 Jul 17
Stuart- Are we talking 15 hrs with smoke? and if so, how in gods name do you keep it going that long overnight with no tending? I've got a bradley, and I dont think I'd feel comfortable trying that long... Any other good tips on a pulled ppork guys? My little brother is coming over for the first wknd in aug, and im thinking of trying this out... gonna have to get over my fear of overcooking meat i guess lol...

2012 Jul 17
He said right there - the BBQ Guru. Google it.

2012 Jul 17
www.auberins.com

would this work the same? the guru is way too bloody expensive for now

2012 Jul 17
BBQ Guru if I am not mistaken also has a fan it controls. Have not looked at it in some time, just going by memory

2012 Jul 17
I use about 6 slightly smaller than fist sized chunks of apple and sugar maple when I'm cooking pork butts, spread throughout the charcoal. I do a minion start with a full ring of unlit Maple Leaf Briquets, then put about a dozen lit on top...making sure that the lit coals are touching the wood at the top of the pile so I get smoke right away. I figure I get between 4-5 hours of solid smoke production using this method. Once the butt hits 130 smoke doesn't really stick to it anymore and even a 13lb will hit 130 in 5 hours. The rest of the time it's just heat.

There are a few different controllers out there, BBQ Guru, Auber and Stoker by Roques BBQ are the most common. I use the BBQ Guru because it was the easiest to get in Ottawa (they have them in stock at Capital BBQ). I'm not sure what the best solution for the Bradley would be...I've never used one.

I'm not sure if this is a no-no, so please forgive me if it is, but there is a great discussion on the various temp controllers here: tvwbb.com

(if posting that link isn't allowed please remove it, or let me know and I'll remove it)

2012 Jul 17
"BBQ Guru if I am not mistaken also has a fan it controls. Have not looked at it in some time, just going by memory"

That's correct,I have a 10 CFM fan on my unit (overkill for the 18.5" WSM but I'll likely upgrade to a 22.5" at some point).

BBQ Guru now makes a "Party-Q" unit that is controller and fan in one unit, and it's relatively cheap. Lots of people have good results with them on Weber kettles and WSM's. Not sure they could be converted to use on a Bradley, but might be worth looking into.

2012 Jul 17
Hey nukem I've run my Bradley for extended periods with no problems at all. Just figure 20 min per puck ,load up the hopper and walk away for awhile. Make sure you put a bigger bowl of liquid in bottom to catch ashes. This is the beauty of the Bradley.

2012 Aug 7
Here is the finished salami...good flavor but next batch will be a bit hotter on the spice. Used a culture with significant tang which is appealing to me.

2012 Aug 7
A thing of beauty! Can you compare it to any commercially available product?

2012 Aug 7
Not really! I am not versed well enough in some of the commercial products to compare it to. It started out as a Soppressata with some paprika thrown in for good measure. My fat chunks are smaller than I would have liked but next batch will use some very coarse ground backfat. Plus more chili peppers. Also may split batch between 2 cultures too.

2012 Nov 24
The last 3 days have been porkmageddon...I thought it would take me one day which turned into 3 with random multitasking. Added another 18# of farmers sausage this aft which is now in the smoker.

Pancetta which is curing.

2012 Nov 24
And the goal of this session....salami from top left Soprasetta, clockwise Calbrese, Hunters, and Hungarian. Should be a long 3 - 6 week wait!

2012 Nov 25
Awesome stuff, thanks for sharing.

2012 Nov 27
I have to ask. Is this farmer sausage of the Steinback, MB variety (ie, Russion mennonite) or the Waterloo sort?

Many years ago and coming from Abbotsford BC, I ended up in Kitchener and was horrified to find that Mennonite Farmer Sausage was different than what I grew up on.

Assuming you don't want to make enough to supply me and my family, is there anyplace in town that actually sells the Russion Mennonite sausage? I have tried the sausage place on Bank St. Although they have lots of great sausage, their interpretation of Mennonite Sausage is a travesty to my trained palate :P.

2012 Nov 27
I would consider these an 'out west' interpretation.

2012 Nov 27
I can concur on krusty's assessment. They are very close to the Manitoba Russian Mennonite variety. There used to be a source in Eastern Ontario but no longer I'm told. If you order enough you can get it shipped from Manitoba (Winkler meats, Pioneer Meats are the two largest producers). Others of us either make the trip and bring back whatever the luggage will hold or rely on relatives to bring it with them.

2012 Nov 27
SmokerGuy stopped in for a beer or two and then I rolled and tied up my pancetta. Took some abuse from GF for my horrible attempts at doing the string work. Finally cut it all apart to redo them and this time was nice and tight. Add in a pint of Mule Kick IPA for good measure.

2012 Dec 12
Its been a few weeks since the random pork went into the various curing chambers. The Calabrese and Hunters salami were put in hog casings and are basically cured. Now they can just age and develop flavor over time. Used a T-SPX culture which is very mild and I prefer the tangy culture instead. The Calabrese is a simple flavor and mild. Not much to it and I wanted to improve my 'definition' this time round with more distinct fat in it. In the photo it is the lighter colored salami.

The Hunters/Cacciatore is 40% venison and same culture. It is quite remarkable in flavor and certainly much better than the other in flavor. It has more heat in it but would be considered mild still. It is the row on the left hand side of things. Smaller fat grind. Would definately make this one again and use a beef casing instead for a larger piece.

Also tried the Guancuiale for the first time. Most people I guess do not eat it as is but cook with it. I had to eat it without cooking to see what it is like. Tastes like silky smooth prosciutto given the high % of fat in a jowl. Then wrapped some with shrimp and a little goes a long way. Could have used a 1/4 slice to wrap the shrimp. Will need to find more recipes to use it.

Will be a few more weeks until the salamis in the beef casings are ready to try.

2013 Jan 26
fresh corn tortillas....

2013 Jan 26
...to wrap Yucatan pulled pork. Recipe was from Just Tacos (www.amazon.com/dp/B00AK40IQM)and it is a very worthy cookbook. Flavors were quite delightful and there were no leftovers unfortunately.The pork is marinated for 24 hours and slow cooked wrapped in banana leaves. Will be making this again very soon!

Krusty,

2013 Feb 3
Mennonite Farmers Sausage take III. Used a larger casing than pork guts this time and made an effort to get a consistent size. These were collagen casings and tend to come off when fried although they are a nice crunchy side dish.

2013 Feb 11
Hey Krusty,

Sorry to be off topic, but have you tried to smoke your venison?

2013 Feb 12
I confess I am not a big fan of venison. Actually only once have I really ever liked it. Hence never smoked it or inhaled it.

2013 Jun 19
TimberframeNorm stopped by for an evening of timberframing on a random project in the yard to be followed by a delicious meal. He has always boasted of Marcella Hazan's recipes so I procured the ingredients for a variation of Bucatini All'Amatriciana....

Home raised pancetta that has cured since last Nov and has a delightful fragrance to it.

2013 Jun 19
saute time

2013 Jun 19
Used official san marzano tomatoes and would try them again. I think they made a huge difference and a nice thick sauce.

Also parmesan cheese made last fall and aging from the family cow. Good thing there is 10 pounds stock piled :)

2013 Jun 19
And finally the dinner. Have never been a huge fan of Italian cooking but this turned out great. Need to take one of those cooking vacations in Tuscany to learn sooooo much more.

2013 Jun 20
krusty you might find this interesting. This is a favorite. Change the parmesan for pecorino and up the pepperoncino and pancetta and use San Marzano tomatoes. Textures are wonderful with the celery. The big broad broken lasagne noodles make this one unique.
www.tastebook.com

2013 Jul 28
There is nothing better than finding that elusive bargain out on the internet. This baby found its way home to me the other day....and I call it the baconator. Thanks to Smokerguy for helping me get it unstuck! It is circa 1929 and while it needs a paint job, I spent the weekend taking it apart and cleaning it for use. There are a few parts on it that could use a replating as well but heck, if I can find someone to paint it, it will be good enough for me.

My poor table swayed with the momentum developed and it is cutting a frozen belly. Usually I slice my bacon when it is just getting firm after an hour or two in the freezer but with a sharp blade, it was no problem.

2013 Jul 29
Cool! That's basically the way a modern bacon slicer works except of course it is electric. Very similar to the one at Lavergne. You load it up with a belly and turn it on and it slices the whole thing unattended.

2013 Jul 29
So do you slice it before or after smoking the belly?

2013 Jul 29
FoodTravel - after
krusty - if I ever get around to making bacon, I'll have to borrow that or let you slice it for me. That is a thing of beauty. Don't show off your toys if you don't want to share :)

2013 Jul 29
Sourdough,

Any time you want to slice it you are welcome although you will have to come here as it is a 2 person job to lift it.

K,

2013 Jul 29
I should add Johanna asked at one point how much bacon to expect from a 1/2 pig. The fella in the video was about 210# hanging weight which is big I think but I like me a pig with a nice belly. Out of the 2 sides on this one I got 15# cut and wrapped in slices, plus probably 1/2# of samples cooked while I was working on it and then 4 - 5 # of ends from the slicer that would be used for pizza toppings or slicing by hand. So for a half pig it is not unreasonable to get 7 - 10# of bacon.

2013 Jul 30
The first batch of belly I got from Krusty was 6lbs raw weight and yielded just over 4lbs after removing the skin, curing, smoking and slicing.

2013 Sep 14
My first prosciutto I tried was far too salty to be eaten as it. Eventually it went into the garbage. Every book I have read or website has a different way of making them and also salting time. Sigh.

Anyways wanted to do some whole muscle curing on a smaller scale and see how things went. Jowls are easy peasy.

From one of the sausage workshop pigs I saved a loin, coppa and tenderloin to try and cure them. Nothing but salt used on these ones and tonight for pizza topping I wanted to try the coppa. Sliced as is, it was delicious as you can see the amount of fat in it. Actually could have been a bit saltier and I am not a huge salt fan. It started as a 2# little chunk of meat and I am glad I have more salting in the fridge as we speak. Wont last long especially with holiday parties just around the corner. I also have another ham leg in the chamber too but will leave that a few more months before I cut into it.

2013 Sep 14
You lost me at "too salty to be eaten." ;) Does not compute.

2013 Sep 16
could have cut the prosciutto into small cubes and tossed into pasta sauce :D

2013 Dec 3
I am not an artist in any sense....but if I was I would call this "Perogasm". Cottage cheese perogies from the cow, bacon from the pig, I needed a ciggy after this and I dont smoke!

2013 Dec 4
Makes me want a piggy ciggy too! Awesome!

2013 Dec 4
Anyone on here ever ordered a pig bladder at a local butcher? Had any success? Planning to cook 'en vessie'.