Tacolot [General]

2012 Jul 9
So my wife and I decided to finally try Taco lot's pricy tacos since chef Carmichael was making his twist on fish tacos…when we got there, the place was crowded and I hurried to get in line, while waiting I noticed on the menu board that the fish taco were 8$!!!! I couldn’t believe it! My wife wanted to leave asap but I told her that sides (rice & beans) were probably given with the taco. Got to the window and informed that it was indeed 8$ for the taco alone…I ask the lady why they were charging so much for a single taco and she said it was because of the ''famous chef special''.

We turned around a walked away…I just can't believe this place was packed and people just don't care supporting and spending that kind of money. Is it just me?

PS: we met another couple when we left that had turned around too because of the high prices.

2012 Jul 9
You didn't miss anything. We went and had the fish taco. Big meh. Their pork one while not dust dry life the chicken and beef tend to be.. Was tasteless

We were charged six dollars for a soda can and a pop bottle...
Two tacos, and two fish tacos was 31$

2012 Jul 9
After reading various reviews on here, I have no intention of going to TacoLot, as cute as the concept might be. I'd rather go to the new Mucho Burrito in South Keys, whenever that might be opening...

2012 Jul 9
MB is 100x better than this place. But I'll note it is still shy of Chipotle

2012 Jul 10
If Matthew Carmichael's Tacolot fish taco is anything like the one he serves at Mello's popup, $8 would be a bargain. It was served as an appetizer, but the succulent black cod was a very large portion and it was really my favorite dish at Mello's. What did he do at Tacolot?

2012 Jul 10
Here is what Ravi said in the TacoLot entry in the Buzz section:
"Stopped by today because Carmichael was there doing fish tacos.. could have been more than the fish stick in a taco really...

ps. of note, they just use store-bought rubbish taco shells..."

for complete entry with picture see:

ottawafoodies.com

2012 Jul 10
The Cod fish taco was also my favourite at Mellos... It is the size of the decent fish and chip portion.

In Newport I ordered cod taco and it was one very small piece in each taco and $12 for 2 tacos. More cod in Mellos than newport one and much better tasting.

2012 Jul 10
The cost isn't of import if the food is good. It only seems silly when the food is shoddy, which it is at the Tacolot.

My taco didn't look much the Mellos version (save for the store bought taco) , sure doesn't sound like it tasted as such either.

2012 Jul 10
@blubarry: OK, so take the taco in your photo, substitute half as much tilapia for the black cod at Mellos Pop Up, pay $8, and you have about what was on offer on Sunday at Tacolot. And then wonder why you couldn't have just waited a few more hours and go to Mellos Pop Up that same evening. Hell, we probably could have hitched a ride to the Market with the chef.

And yeah @TripleD, I too was going to hand in my Wellington West cool card and just walk away from such sheer madness, but my husband reminded me that the proceeds were going to charity so what the hell, we threw away $16 on two of the smallest tacos you can imagine, eaten in about 2 bites.

I guess if I had wanted real value I'd have done like my neighbour and ponied up $12 for two equally measly 'regular' tacos (beef or pork) served with a gummy mound of rice and lettuce leaves to cover the rest of the plate.

Or we could have just wandered to the Wellington Gastropub and have a couple of pints of amazing beer.

2012 Jul 10
goo.gl/fO4zk

See above for more pics of the Tacolot tacos.. has the fish/chicken/pork

value nil. taste. nil. sad foodie. check.

2012 Jul 10
Looks like the place is turning out to be nothing more than a "Talk a Lot".

2012 Jul 10
Haven't tried them but 1 0f my 3 critics (children) thinks they are ok. She hasn't been to Mexico and I have eaten lots of tacos in Mexico and California. These don't sound inspiring but I will try them at some point-maybe they are like the ones at the all inclusive instead of the street vendor...

2012 Jul 10
WC.. they taste nothing like Mexico lol.. they kinda taste like what you'd get in Manitoba or Yukon..

I'm comparing their tacos to US street vendor tacos, to US restaurants, to Mexico, to Caribbean, to numerous latin households I've had them in, and to my latin gfs tacos. I think.. if you took any of the above versions, and cut them down to a 1/4 or 1/8.. You get tacolot. =D Which really sucks for me, since I was very keen on finally having a decent taco spot in town.

2012 Jul 11
Ravi if you like fish taco, go to Mellos Pop Up.. Not very spicy but great fish

2012 Jul 11
Hey Ravi, Careful what you say about Manitoba - they've actually got a real - amazing, tasty taco truck for a couple of years on the streets! We should be so lucky. Believe it or not there are Mexican's who have emigrated from Mexico to Winnipeg.

2012 Jul 11
Sourdough There is a large Mexican population in Essex County too. (southern ontario between windsor and leamington)Tons of little mom & pop mexican restaurants, latin groceries/bakeries etc. out in the county. Interesting factoid: There are a number of mexican mennonites - yes you read that right - and there is one restaurant in Leamington that is a weird hybrid of Canadian home cooking / Mexican food / German Food that caters to the Mexican Mennonite community. Great breakfasts of eggs with scrappy bits of highly spiced shnitzel-like pork.

2012 Jul 11
We went yesterday to go - but they only had pork, basa and veg tacos left. It was quiet and seemed really pricy although there was a $12 "combo"... anyway. Based on what we saw other people eating and the prices we decided to take off and hit up Hintonburger instead.