Vermont Cheese Suggestions? [General]

2012 Jun 27
We're heading to Vermont this weekend for the first time. Just wanted to get some cheese suggestions.

Also, anyone have advice on which border crossing is likely to have the shortest wait times?

2012 Jun 27
Lots of good cheese but if you get a chance to visit Cabot creamery they have amazing high fat butter.

2012 Jun 27
I assume you already know about this site:

www.vtcheese.com

When we were there we didn't have time to go to any cheese makers/dairies but if you are in Burlington you can find a selection at both the City Market (www.citymarket.coop/) and Fresh Market (www.freshmarketgourmetvt.com/). If you go to the King Arthur Flour store, I seem to recall they have a small selection of cheese as well. I don't remember any particular brands that we had but I remember finding a good goat cheese.

As for border crossing times, you can find waiting times online. We don't cross enough to provide any particular advice but have had bad luck at Cornwall for what it's worth.

2012 Jun 28
For us we find the fastest way to vermont is Ogdensburg (have had bad luck at cornwall too) then drive across northern NY to plattsburgh where there is a ferry to Vermont's lake champlain islands. Short hop from there to Burlington. And we have often done it with an RV which the ferry handles easily. They run pretty much continuously in the summer.

2012 Jun 28
I concur with blubarry. I've made that trip many times and Ogdensburg to the Plattsburg erry is definitely the way to go.

2012 Jun 28
Another vote for Ogdensburg.

2012 Jun 28
Blubarry, thanks for the high fat butter tip! I'll definitely try to get me some of that. I think I might have to upsize the cooler I was planning to bring to something a bit larger so I can fit butter AND cheese.

Thanks all for the border and ferry advice.

2012 Jun 28
I go to Vermont at least once a month to my brother's house. The price of the cheese is so unbelievably cheap compared to here.

You can do the Ogdensburg option ( but its a bit longer depending on where you are in Ottawa), or there are quite a few really small border crossings not many people know about between highway 15 and The St Arnand border crossing on the Quebec side. There is the Rouses Pointe, the Noyan, and the Alburg border crossings. Rouses Pointe is the busiest of the 3 small ones. This is the fastest way to get there from downtown Ottawa.

If you get a chance and are a member, go to the Costco in Colchester (just north of Burlington) You can get a giant block of the 3yr aged Cabbot White cheddar for under $10 as well as many other great cheeses. Don't even get me started on the price of their wine :) I always feel like a kid in a candy store when i go there.

2012 Jun 28
foodiast -we live in the West end in the Woodroffe area, so I think Prescott isn't a bad choice for us since we're so close to the 416.

I'll try to persuade my husband to stop at Costco. He might leave me there forever though...