POP UP PATIOS [Food/Vendor]

2012 Jun 26
Hi All Ottawa Foodies,

We are looking for constructive feedback from Ottawa Foodies on our new endeavour, POP UP PATIOS. We highly regard the comments from this group.

Seems in one night (yesterday) of trying to post the message that we are open and spreading the work amongst Ottawa Foodies, we ended up getting 4 thumbs down (and 1 thumb up)...pretty interesting considering we were not open yesterday.

So just wondering if people have actually had a chance to visit POP UP PATIOS who voted? and if you did vote perhaps you can let us know why we dissapointed you.

We are excited to give Ottawa something different than standard chip trucks in an iconic location where anyone can relax along the UNESCO World Heritage Rideau Canal. Not to mention giving you craft beer and wine in an outdoor location (like i used to do in Europe).

2012 Jun 26
Pop up patios I suspect you have been getting alot of thumbs down on this site because it looks like you are shillng your business which doesn't go over well on this site... Creating a vendor listing for your business and putting info on your profile is kosher though. I'm sure there are a few that will visit your patio and post (less biased) reviews. Good luck with the business!

2012 Jun 26
I think the thumbs-down voting was for your marketing and not for your food.

You created a profile and then posted all over the forum about your great Pop-up patio. Your food might be great, but that isn't how to win over the Ottawa Foodies. Start a vendor page, put all your links and contact info there and everyone will see it.

I'm looking forward to trying your food and will report back once I do.

2012 Jun 26
Pasta Lover,

Thanks for the heads up. Obviously not our intent to use this site like that. I have been using it for 4 years since moving back from Manhattan, and was glad to see that the comments posted were usually acurate and in line with my views.

We appologize to anyone who took offence. We just wanted to let the Ottawa Foodies scene know about us. We were excited to let them know about our new venture - so they will enjoy it very much over the summer/fall months.

Important to note this is a pilot project and support in year 1 is crucial to ongoing endeavours of this sort "popping" up again in the future on prestigious sites in Ottawa, and finding great locations for new gourmet food trucks.

2012 Jun 26
hipfunkyfun,

thanks, i created a vendor page and was able to tag the relevant choices.

weather permitting we will be open Thur/Friday this week, hope to see you there.

Unfortunately we'll be off for Sat/Sun for Canada Day.

2012 Jun 26
For what it's worth, we were on the opposite side of the Canal from you on Saturday and discussed stopping by for a drink and bite but the biggest deterrent was the fact that you've no chairs, at all. The bistro tables laid out meant we'd be standing to eat and drink and that just wasn't what we were looking for in a patio setting, it just doesn't invite one to relax, no matter how good the food and drink on offer. The fact that your food truck was set so far back from the patio area was further confusing. I definitely would not have connected the two had I not already been aware of your operation.

The next deterrent was the fact that you had no other customers, which is likely due to the point above as well as the lack of steady pedestrian traffic on that side of the Canal. Fix the lack of seating, even with picnic tables, and I'm certain more people will stop in to give you a try.

2012 Jun 26
I will definitely check it out. Your menu looks good and is priced fairly. I'm surprised you aren't swarmed - how many times have we heard variations on there not being enough food trucks in Ottawa, or how the waterfront is underutilized. This checks both boxes. And licenced! However the lack of chairs is a major concern for me as well. I hope that they were just awaiting delivery or something.

2012 Jun 26
What are your expected normal open hours / days? Is it weather-dependent?

Do you set your hours or is that the doing of NCC? If you set the hours, why on earth would you plan to be closed this weekend?

2012 Jun 28
NCC was worried about creating clutter on the site, which as you pointed out spans a good length of 52 Colonel Bye Drive. The intent was to have patio and food truck side by side but we had to conform to NCC's view on site clutter and public access. All in all we think it is a great site despite slight separation of the truck and patio. but we've tried to connect the two with branding of POP UP PATIOS on both areas.

you want chairs...we'll get some hopefully in time for today!!

Normal hours Thurs/ Fri 4-9pm, sat/sun 11:30am -9pm. times are still subject to fine tuning and weather.

Unfortunately, our truck was committed to city of Ottawa for Canada day, will be near Metcalfe and Wellington, in front of parliament. Nothing we could do to avaoid this conflict which we knew since the start. We realize this would have been a great weekend for operating, but have to deal with situations as they are...

thanks for all the great feedback.

2012 Jun 30
Metcalfe and Wellington is an even better location for Canada Day, no worries there! I was concerned that you'd be doors closed and missing all that business. Glad you've got a gig for the biggest day of the summer (?)

2012 Jul 4
A permanent covered patio/deck is being built (and looks to be near complete) just north of the Corktown Bridge (Somerset pedestrian bridge) over the canal. Could it be?....
Great spot for drinks/a little café.

2012 Jul 4
AMR - this is what is going in there:

Rideau Beach & 8 Locks Flat

Inspired by the temporary urban beach along the Seine in Paris during the summer months, 8 Locks Flat is a temporary, contained beach area and temporary modular patio located on the east side of the Canal, just north of the Corktown Footbridge. The program includes a free beach area, possible recreational programs such as yoga, rental of beach chairs and umbrellas as well as uniquely Canadian and local food and beverage offerings. 8 Locks Flat will operate daily from June through October.

Of note, the NCC is not paying for it - the private company is (in exchange for the right to rent chairs, sell food etc etc.)

2012 Jul 19
POP UP PATIOS IS BEGINNING OUR 2ND ROTATION OF FOOD TRUCK/CART VENDORS ON OUR SITE.

THIS WEEK WE ARE GOING TO FEATURE WANNA WAFLE ON OUR SITE FOR BEER AND BELGIAN WAFFLE PAIRINGS.

STAY TUNED FOR OUR NEXT OTTAWA FOOD TRUCK/MOBILE VENDOR NEXT WEEK.

2012 Jul 19
What beers do you have?

2012 Jul 19
Looks like your capslock key is broken - or maybe you are having a problem with your keyboard-chair interface

2012 Jul 19
"I'm sorry, you'll have to speak up - I'm wearing a towel....."

did I hear something about beer? What are the offerings?

2012 Jul 23
sorry for the late reply (and the CAPS lock accident...tough crowd).

Beers featured last weekend:
Creemore Premium
Hogsback Vintage Lager
KLB raspberry wheat (was for the belgian waffle pairing may not be there next week).

Wine:
Red- CLine Zinfindel (Cali.)
White - Silver Point - Sauvingon Blanc (New Zealand)

Soft Bevs:
Pellegrino Aranciata
Pellegrino Limon
Water
G2 (for the runners and bikers who pass our site regulary)

2012 Jul 27
I stopped for a beer and chat with the guy running this place the other day, it's a cracking spot and deserves to be frequented. I also tried the waffles, which were the food truck on site that day - have to say it was a little disappointing, but that's not the end of the world. Missed the flatbread pizza co last night which was a shame, but I'll definitely go back to the patio again.

2012 Jul 27
I've been by the patio a few times now and really like the set-up. Minimalist but very on-the-canal. Looking fwd to stopping there for a drink or three.

2012 Jul 27
I stopped for a beer and chat with the guy running this place the other day, it's a cracking spot and deserves to be frequented. I also tried the waffles, which were the food truck on site that day - have to say it was a little disappointing, but that's not the end of the world. Missed the flatbread pizza co last night which was a shame, but I'll definitely go back to the patio again.

2012 Aug 3
Flatbread Pizza Co will be our permanent Thursday Gourmet Food Provider starting Aug 23rd, until our patio closes for the season!!!

Strata Pizza Co will be on site Aug 9-12th

Stone Soup is on site Aug 17th, 25, 26th (perhaps 16th too).

Stay tuned for Relish, Town Fryer, Chef on Wheels, Wanna Wafel, B Goods, Hot Potatoe gourmet food truck who will fill up Sept/October!

This is the spot to get your street eat fix and have some Canadian craft beer and/or featured wines!

Everyone welcome (but we ID if you want to drink).

Rideau Canal Festival this weekend. Relish, Stone Soup, Strata pizza are at bytown museum /locks and Wanna Wafel is on our site!